Char-Griller King Griller Kamado Kooker dial in  
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Username  
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Char-Griller King Griller Kamado Kooker dial in  (Read 9200 times)
triangle172

« on: January 15, 2012, 04:48:08 AM »

OK, so I have owned this Char-Griller King Griller acorn for about a month now and am finally starting to get it dialed in...I think.This is identical to the Big Red that some of you guys in the mid-West bought at Menards except for the color.
 I have not cooked low temp. slow cook yet but I have cooked a few things and so far excellent results. I needed to find a decent source of lump and I did. The Cowboy crapola from Lowes at $7.50/bag for a skimpy 8.8lb bag was annoying. Who came up with the 8.8lb idea anyway?

I found Royal Oak sold as Wegmans brand in 10lb. bags for $6.00/bag. I bought eight bags.
I have now done almost all mods. to this thing. I sealed the top and bottom dampers with high-temp. silicone. Added a more robust spring and washer to better seal the daisy wheel damper. My most recent mod. was an attempt to "portion control" the lump. It was successful too! I bought a galvanized steel duct reducer for a hot air furnace system at Home Depot for about $8.00. I'll post a pic later. I then used about 4 handfuls of lump with a few paper towels soaked in canola oil to light it. This worked and it was a windy day too. Cooked my first spatchcocked chicken last night. Simple rub of Montreal Chicken seasoning. Took about an hour. Basically just followed the recipe from Naked Whiz. It was outstanding...the best chicken I ever cooked anyway.
Skinsandos
Hero of the Month - 7 X Throwdown Champion
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 05:09:40 AM »

triangle welcome sound like you are well on the way - you are absolutly right about cowboy lump it is crap

8.8 lb = 4 Kilograms

Again welcome

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
rhodeje
Superhero Member

Central Illinois

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:56:22 AM »

OK, so I have owned this Char-Griller King Griller acorn for about a month now and am finally starting to get it dialed in...I think.This is identical to the Big Red that some of you guys in the mid-West bought at Menards except for the color.
 I have not cooked low temp. slow cook yet but I have cooked a few things and so far excellent results. I needed to find a decent source of lump and I did. The Cowboy crapola from Lowes at $7.50/bag for a skimpy 8.8lb bag was annoying. Who came up with the 8.8lb idea anyway?

I found Royal Oak sold as Wegmans brand in 10lb. bags for $6.00/bag. I bought eight bags.
I have now done almost all mods. to this thing. I sealed the top and bottom dampers with high-temp. silicone. Added a more robust spring and washer to better seal the daisy wheel damper. My most recent mod. was an attempt to "portion control" the lump. It was successful too! I bought a galvanized steel duct reducer for a hot air furnace system at Home Depot for about $8.00. I'll post a pic later. I then used about 4 handfuls of lump with a few paper towels soaked in canola oil to light it. This worked and it was a windy day too. Cooked my first spatchcocked chicken last night. Simple rub of Montreal Chicken seasoning. Took about an hour. Basically just followed the recipe from Naked Whiz. It was outstanding...the best chicken I ever cooked anyway.

Now you can start buying all the goodies that go with your cooker. Go get ya a 17" Weber grill grate to make a lower grate in your cooker. Then you will have three different heights to cook on. Your going to need temp control instruments along with something like the IQ Pitmaster the list goes on. You'll really enjoy your cooker and Welcome!!

If you can eat it SMOKE IT!
Known now as the Adopted Brother.
KCBS judge
CBJ
Central Illinois
Elrik
Keg Hero of the Month

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:13:12 AM »

You aren't using that galvanized piece during your cooks are you?Huh  Shocked
Skinsandos
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »

You aren't using that galvanized piece during your cooks are you?Huh  Shocked

Good catch Elrik that is a big no no

triangle172

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »

Now you can start buying all the goodies that go with your cooker. Go get ya a 17" Weber grill grate to make a lower grate in your cooker. Then you will have three different heights to cook on. Your going to need temp control instruments along with something like the IQ Pitmaster the list goes on. You'll really enjoy your cooker and Welcome!!

Got one already.Forgot to mention it. I still need some sort of plate setter. Been contemplating firebrick splits.
triangle172

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »

Good catch Elrik that is a big no no
Because of the zinc content?

I could see if it were the cooking grate, but to hold the lump? I see little to zero exposure there.
Skinsandos
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »

Because of the zinc content?

I could see if it were the cooking grate, but to hold the lump? I see little to zero exposure there.

It is the zinc fumes which most assuredly would be present if it is touching the hot coals

smokey
Superhero Member

Keg Hero of the Month | Walnut Creek CA

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »

Welcome!
Smokin in Peosta
2X Hero of the Month; 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Smokem if youv'e got them

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 10:23:32 PM »

Good times ahead triangle.

Mike
hawkeye1831

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 04:55:27 PM »

New to this "Big Steel Keg" Forum. I am interested in purchasing the Kamado from Lowe's here in Canada. It is in my price range $350.00! So hoping to hear some good comments about this, the websites I had visited offered no user reviews because of how new this product is.
Hawkeye
juniorhadley96

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:11:03 AM »

Welcome!
trey
Keg Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Grayson, GA

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 10:15:59 AM »

New to this "Big Steel Keg" Forum. I am interested in purchasing the Kamado from Lowe's here in Canada. It is in my price range $350.00! So hoping to hear some good comments about this, the websites I had visited offered no user reviews because of how new this product is.
Hawkeye

The Char-Griller Kamado is well liked by those here who have one. It's a great deal for the money. You won't be disappointed.

BSK #5315
twistedpit
Surf & Turf Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

When humor goes, there goes civilization.

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »

Yeah, I hear you. When you finally get finished with all of the mods and add ons it will look like this.

Sorry mine's a little dirty.  Good luck.

DISCLAIMER:
DUE TO SUBJECT MATTER VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

MySQL |  PHP |  Valid XHTML |  Valid CSS