Broil King Keg Forum
September 24, 2018, 04:12:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from Canada!  (Read 38076 times)
BBQRich
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 03, 2012, 01:42:59 PM »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rich, I work for Onward Manufacturing in the Marketing Department.  I have been checking out parts of the board for a few weeks now, and I look forward to posting and being involved in the BSK / BKK community.

I've worked for Onward since 2003 in a variety of roles, largely storefront demonstration and marketing / tradeshow events, so if you have ever seen our demonstration teams at a Broil King retailer in Ontario, there is a half-decent chance I was there.

A long winded explanation of how I ended up here: I have always enjoyed barbecuing since I was a kid.  I came to Onward and spent years working primarily with gas barbecues, but the 'food network' phenomenon really increased the focus on charcoal in the last 7 or 8 years.  With the acquisition of BSK last year, how to get / stay involved in the online community came to the forefront.  I have been using a keg fairly frequently for the last six months (4-6 times / month) and have exactly one attempt at pulled pork on the keg under my belt (10 hours, didn't hit a high enough temp - caved at 180 or so because I was starving), but a decent start I think.

A caveat: I realize having an 'Onward' person on the board opens a door to all sorts of conversations - I am not saying this to be condescending or dismissive at all, but the strength of the board - in my estimation - is that it is generally positive and supportive with the goal being that everyone has better results when they fire up the grill.  I intend to contribute my experiences with the keg, and would be happy to discuss nearly anything keg related and / or recipe related.  However, I don't think it's entirely in the spirit of the board for me to be a go-between for customer service / design / distribution issues.  I'm here to help, but mostly I'm here because I'm a barbecue enthusiast, and I stand to learn a heck of a lot more from all the guys and gals here than you could possibly learn from me.  If you want to talk accessories, kegs, availability, and so forth, I will do everything I can, but again, I think it's much more about the keg than about what I can contribute to the board.

A bit of legalese: any views or opinions expressed by me are solely my own and should not be interpreted as those of Onward Manufacturing Company Limited.

Let's have some fun!

Rich

TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »

Welcome to the forum Rich.  Grin
Great to have you on here!  

Che

I have met Rich a couple of times (briefly) now and is a great guy.

He'll probably kill me, but this is the dude himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=00J0Jsthrso

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »

Welcome Rich.

This board has needed some type of support from OMC for some time.  It great to see you post and get involved.  This board is a great marketing tool for you.  You just need to figure out how to get people here before they buy.

I think your approach is good and I can see how you may get bombed with customer service stuff.  I agree that should be handle be the right people.

I'm hoping that OMC get all the supply bugs worked out this year and can really market this grill next spring.  It a great cooker and could sell a bunch if stock was available and it had some marketing behind it.

Welcome again.   Grin

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
TAURUS BBQ
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »

I have been using a keg fairly frequently for the last six months (4-6 times / month) and have exactly one attempt at pulled pork on the keg under my belt (10 hours, didn't hit a high enough temp - caved at 180 or so because I was starving), but a decent start I think.

No pictures, then it didn't happen ...    Grin  Grin

Creature
Keg Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Vancouver, BC

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »

Hi from the west coast Rich.
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »

Welcome Rich, I really enjoy your youtube videos! Grin

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
Yanknrebel
Chicken Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

You want sauce on that??? --Atoka TN

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »

Welcome Rich!   Post up those cooks--with pics of course!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
tmcgee

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 07:35:30 AM »

Welcome.  Being from the parent company, you'll have to do better than that on pulled pork  Grin Grin.  Heck, you should know all of the secrets  Tongue.

All joking aside.  Have fun and it'll be nice to have you around.
KillitandGrillit
Superhero Member

March Madness Tailgating Throwdown Champion

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 08:39:50 AM »

Greetings from the home of the reigning NFL World Champion Green Bay Packers! Welcome to the board, we're all looking forward to seeing some cooks!

People call me Forrest Lump...

Do it 'till you cough blood, and then back off just a little

Grab your meat!
BBQRich
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

The interesting thing about my experience (starting with gas grills and branching into charcoal) is that there is not an equivalent 'gas grill' enthusiast community as there is with charcoal grilling, smoking, and the Keg.  The 'foodie' movement is close, but too broad to compare I would say.  The community that exists both here and in competition is realy fun to work with.  We had an opportunity to sponsor The Great Canadian Steak Cook-off in Whitby a few years ago - it was a start up that unfortunately could not continue after year two due to a variety of reasons, but the wide range of competitors for a steak based event was certainly fun to be involved in.

I will be posting some cooks over the next little while.  I know this sets a bad precedent (j/k), but I have a roasted cauliflower gratin idea that I want to try on the keg.  I think I need some pancetta or pork belly to really make it happen.  Just cauliflower may not cut it.

Stay tuned.

TAURUS BBQ
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »

Rich, you're going to have too throw some kind of protein in there for this crowd  Grin
Pork belly ought to do it just right ...  Cheesy

BBQRich
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »

Rookie maneuver - open with a vegetable dish... jeez.

I will post the results.

billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »

Rookie maneuver - open with a vegetable dish... jeez.

I will post the results.

Don't worry. go back and look at all the crying over the vege throw down last year. Somebody even did tofu  Wink

Dan
tmcgee

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »

Don't worry. go back and look at all the crying over the vege throw down last year. Somebody even did tofu  Wink

You had to bring that up again didn't you  Roll Eyes
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »

You had to bring that up again didn't you  Roll Eyes

I think Skins needs to add it to your signature  Grin

Dan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: