Pork Butt....  
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Username  
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pork Butt....  (Read 553 times)
Jerrystowing
Superhero Member

Santa Clarita,Ca

« on: December 04, 2011, 08:38:34 PM »

1St long cook with the new Auber.held 225 18hrs no real trouble.1st half hr little high low chasing.then i just left it alone it fixed itself.(smarter the me)it got to 197 i sauced it closed lid it dropped internally to 175 Huh could not get back up keg was still @ 225 just dropped.after a 45 min of WTF i pulled it.great taste but DRY!!!!. I wrapped in cooler 2 hrs prior to eating.the sample before wrapping was great Huh

Fell apart

Bubba is the best friend a man could ever have.
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:57:38 PM »

Was the sauce cold right out the fridge?

Bubba Keg (2010)
Big Steel Keg (2011)
Big Steel Keg (2012)
Big Steel Keg (2012)
Weber Genesis EP-310 (2010)
jsegura3
Superhero Member

San Antonio, TX

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:35:56 PM »

IMO 18hrs @225* (or any temp) is a mighty long time, I would crank it up to at least 250*.  Did you use a diffuser w/some thermal mass? It helps the keg recover faster when you open the lid.
Jerrystowing
Superhero Member

Santa Clarita,Ca

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:34:05 AM »

Was the sauce cold right out the fridge?

Yes it was cold from the fridge...

Jerrystowing
Superhero Member

Santa Clarita,Ca

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:37:05 AM »

IMO 18hrs @225* (or any temp) is a mighty long time, I would crank it up to at least 250*.  Did you use a diffuser w/some thermal mass? It helps the keg recover faster when you open the lid.

Yes i used a diffuser and i have a 2nd drip pan on top of diffuser with 10 ceramic briquets in it for mass.this is like my 10th Butt never had this issue before.was wondering what caused it thats all.

Vindii
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 07:55:12 AM »

Yes it was cold from the fridge...

I'm just guessing as I don't sauce butts until after I shred them but I can see 35-40 degree sauce pulling the temp of the butt down.  It was basically done at 197 and could have been pulled and wrapped for a rest in the cooler.  Your sauce brought the temp down so much that you had to cook it much longer to bring it back up.  That might be why it was dry.

How much longer did you have to cook it after you sauced it?

Bubba Keg (2010)
Big Steel Keg (2011)
Big Steel Keg (2012)
Big Steel Keg (2012)
Jerrystowing
Superhero Member

Santa Clarita,Ca

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »

After sauce I kept it on 45 more min and only got it to 195 so I just pulled.your right I always pulled wrapped  placed in cooler then sauce after I cut or pull.i saw a article on amazing that said to use cold sauce from fridge to get a nice glaze and well it didn't work so great for me.oh well live & learn thanks for the input.

Vindii
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 10:30:32 AM »

After sauce I kept it on 45 more min and only got it to 195 so I just pulled.your right I always pulled wrapped  placed in cooler then sauce after I cut or pull.i saw a article on amazing that said to use cold sauce from fridge to get a nice glaze and well it didn't work so great for me.oh well live & learn thanks for the input.

I dont know if 45 minutes extra is going to dry it out much.  I thought maybe you had to cook it another 4-6 hours to get it back up.  18 hours seem like a long cook.

Bubba Keg (2010)
Big Steel Keg (2011)
Big Steel Keg (2012)
Big Steel Keg (2012)
rhodeje
Superhero Member

Central Illinois

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »

Now Jerry just taking a stab at this. You said you'd cooked several butts before no problem came out great. I've looked at everything everyone has said. The one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the "new Auber" do you know for a fact that it was holding the right temp? Did you calibrate it with anything else to make sure the temp was right? This is just a guess. I have heard that the Auber can be off on temp.

If you can eat it SMOKE IT!
Known now as the Adopted Brother.
KCBS judge
CBJ
Central Illinois
Jerrystowing
Superhero Member

Santa Clarita,Ca

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 01:11:43 PM »

1st thing I did was boil water Droped probe in and it's perfect 209 at 1400 ft it's dead on.

jsegura3
Superhero Member

San Antonio, TX

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »

Well to be honest I don't understand how the IT can drop so fast, just because you put some sauce on it. It's not like you put it in the fridge or something. If anything the temp should keep rising since the meat is still cooking on the inside. The only thing I can think of is maybe your temp probe was exposed a little too much and maybe you got some cold sauce on it. But that shouldn't last long and a good probe will come up to accurate temp within a couple minutes or less. I suspect a faulty probe. Are you sure you didn't get the IT temp and keg temp confused? I got an old Maverick that I haven't used in a year cause the temps bounce around too much. I don't trust it.
Vindii
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »

Well to be honest I don't understand how the IT can drop so fast, just because you put some sauce on it. It's not like you put it in the fridge or something. If anything the temp should keep rising since the meat is still cooking on the inside. The only thing I can think of is maybe your temp probe was exposed a little too much and maybe you got some cold sauce on it. But that shouldn't last long and a good probe will come up to accurate temp within a couple minutes or less. I suspect a faulty probe. Are you sure you didn't get the IT temp and keg temp confused? I got an old Maverick that I haven't used in a year cause the temps bounce around too much. I don't trust it.

Agreed.  I can see sauce pulling it down some but not 20 degrees.  I'd still warm up then sauce first though.  Seems odd it came back up in 45 minute too.

Bubba Keg (2010)
Big Steel Keg (2011)
Big Steel Keg (2012)
Big Steel Keg (2012)
twistedpit
Surf & Turf Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

When humor goes, there goes civilization.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »

Just a guess. But if the sauce was water based with salt in it and you coated the butt , you might have experienced a large evaporative cooling effect.  That might explain why the meat was dry. Just a guess.

DISCLAIMER:
DUE TO SUBJECT MATTER VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.
Jerrystowing
Superhero Member

Santa Clarita,Ca

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »

Well next one i will do as ive always done.i dont trust the Maverick to much either but i checked with Instant temp probe also...no biggy ill live.i did have chasing temps for 30 min in the beginning but it all worked out fine.thx

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

MySQL |  PHP |  Valid XHTML |  Valid CSS