Broil King Keg Forum
May 21, 2018, 02:20:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutch Oven & Big Steel Keg = Chili  (Read 6340 times)
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« on: April 24, 2010, 06:30:45 PM »

I made chili on my BSK for the first time this week and thought I would post it.This is a recipe I got from a hunting forum a few years ago that we like. I like my chili meat cubed instead of ground so I cubed up 1 3/4 pounds of sirlon  steak and placed in my dutch oven on the keg.

I cooked it until grey, not brown.

Took it out of the dutch oven and drained then set aside.
Placed 1 diced medium onion 1/2 bell peper and 2 jalapeno with corn oil and cooked until soft not carmelized.

added 32 ounces of beef stock,cook until boiling.then add meat. 4 T chili powder,  1t black pepper, 1T garlic powder, 1T onion powder, 1 T oregeno, 1 package of Sazon Goya con azafran,  1 can tomato sauce 8 oz. and 1 can rotel.

simmer for 1 hour stirring every 10 minutes after 1 hour add 1t cumin.

Chili was very good with a slight smokey taste.

EconomicDisconnect
Superhero Member

North of Boston, MA

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »

That looks very good indeed!  Nice job! Wink

For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:54:18 PM »

Thanks,

Was wondering how the keg would do with the dutch oven on simmering the chili for a hour but I brought the temp up to 350 degree before starting and from the meat to the simmering it did a great job. With both vents set at 3 the chili had a slow simmer even with opening the lid every 10 minutes to stir.
EconomicDisconnect
Superhero Member

North of Boston, MA

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 06:56:32 PM »

It is my belief that the Keg could even balance the US deficit given the chance!  Ok maybe that is a stretch, but the Keg rules!

For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »

It is my belief that the Keg could even balance the US deficit given the chance!  Ok maybe that is a stretch, but the Keg rules!

That is my wish - I have four kids 16 - 22 that are not currently aimed at a fruitful life and that is very sad to me.

Being a member of a group lets you collect a value (unions): in the real world an individual effort makes impact resulting in success.

ED what do you do for a living?

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Porchpup

Smoking With Bubba in Celina, TX

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »

Great looking Chili. This one has been added to my "To Do List".   Wink

2009 Bubba Keg #3258.
For Sale--1998 Red Weber Performer, 2008 22.5" WSM and 2009 UniFlame Gold Gasser
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »

RFN,

The chili looks great! I love chili, but the 1st Mate is in charge of making it.  I'll be showing her this post for sure Wink

Boat

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
GrillSarge
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Doggie water taxi service http://www.zeemaps.com/k

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 03:45:03 AM »

Chili mmmm I've been thinking of doing that but you beat me to it!

The Black Cauldrons of Celtic myth.  Known as Undri, The Irish God the Dagda's cauldron from which no one leaves hungry or unsatisfied and Amen the Welsh Goddess Ceridwen's vessel from which flows wisdom and inspiration.  Also the cauldron of Annwn  that won't cook the food of a coward.
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »

This is a good chili a little spicy but not bad. If you like it spicey leave out the bell pepper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: