Broil King Keg Forum
April 19, 2018, 02:40:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings  (Read 38269 times)
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 10:07:40 AM »

The competition must have been rigged!!  Grin

Glad you liked 'em Boat, sure sounds like they were a hit.

Where I just used S&P in this post Larry Wolf (I believe to be the creator of the recipe) seasons his wings with his citrus rub.

I've done them with chili lime marinaded wings and home made orange habanero jelly instead of marmalade.

Grand Marnier seems like a no-brainer tweak.

Grandpa JD
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Charleston, SC

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »

They look great, went and found some Sriracha sauce at the grocers today.  Could you please clarify the following for me though (I'm simple and need all the help I can get, especially since I'm new to this): 

When you said:

"-applied S&P both sides of the wings
-on at 1715 with 1 chunk of apple vents at 3, got up to 350F in about 30 minutes
-rotated front to back at 1745"

Did that mean you got the keg started and up to 350, then you put on the wings at 1715 to cook for 30 minutes, or did you start the grill at 1715 with a chunk of apple in the coals and put the wing on at that time and let it then get up to 350 until 1745? 

Thanks, JD

"To the stars on the wings of a pig."
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 08:14:53 AM »

.... or did you start the grill at 1715 with a chunk of apple in the coals and put the wing on at that time and let it then get up to 350 until 1745? ...
yeah, that one. At 1715 the wax/sawdust cube I used to light had just burned off and it was probably around 250F in the BSK
Grandpa JD
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Charleston, SC

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 09:16:14 PM »

yeah, that one. At 1715 the wax/sawdust cube I used to light had just burned off and it was probably around 250F in the BSK

Thanks Kegger, I tried them out today, but over cooked them a little.  I probably used too much charcoal.  Even with my vents set just below 2, the temps kept creeping up to 375 and additionally, during the basting phase after closing the dampers, every time I'd raise the lid to re baste, the coals would flame back up with the fat and sugar dripping down.  Final results were a little over cooked due to my temperatures creeping up, but the charing didn't hurt a bit.  My wife loved them and wants me to cook a double batch next time; I really enjoyed them too and ate twice as many as my wife did; they were just awesome.  Anyway, this was just my second Bubba cook, so I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks for the recipe, JD

* Bubba_2nd_Cook_0002.jpg (612.7 KB, 800x600 - viewed 405 times.)

Porchpup

Smoking With Bubba in Celina, TX

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 04:08:13 PM »

They look good to me. Nice job. Wink

2009 Bubba Keg #3258.
For Sale--1998 Red Weber Performer, 2008 22.5" WSM and 2009 UniFlame Gold Gasser
wraith81

Oklahoma City, OK

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 06:57:47 AM »

I made these wings last night and they were a HUGE hit.  No surprise to anyone that has tried them here, I'm sure!  Thanks for sharing the recipe.  I'll be making these a lot this summer. 

Smokin in Peosta
2X Hero of the Month; 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Smokem if youv'e got them

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »

This looks like an awesome cook I have about twenty four chicken legs in my freezer. What do you think? Would it be a good way to use them? I know I will be using this recipe soon.

Mike
Yanknrebel
Chicken Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

You want sauce on that??? --Atoka TN

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 05:19:23 PM »

This looks like an awesome cook I have about twenty four chicken legs in my freezer. What do you think? Would it be a good way to use them? I know I will be using this recipe soon.
Go for it-- I use legs in place of wings.  Not enough meat on a darn wing for me!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
TimmerFL

FL Panhandle on the Gulf

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »

Go for it-- I use legs in place of wings.  Not enough meat on a darn wing for me!

I had that same idea and almost did that once till I remembered that wings are white meat and legs are dark meat. Dont care for dark personally. With all that hormone talk why arent we growing bigger chickens to get monster wings??  Cheesy

Whatever you put it on the OMS is KILLER!!!

Do or do Not! There is no try!
BakonGrill
Superhero Member

A couple miles from Horse Shoe, NC

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »

With all that hormone talk why arent we growing bigger chickens to get monster wings??  Cheesy

Ain't those called turkeys Grin ?

I sorta look at wings as being a combination of white and dark. Other than the gizzard and heart, they're my favorite piece o' chicken. That being said, I pretty much like them all, light or dark and there is an advantage to the leg or thigh having more meat per piece. On the other hand, eating the wing is a labor of love. You have to spend a little more time getting all the goodie off of it, but it's worth it.

BakonG
Grandpa JD
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Charleston, SC

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 09:36:45 AM »

Whatever you put it on the OMS is KILLER!!!

I've used this on skinless boneless chicken tenders and they came out awesome.

Sabo

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »

This is a keeper..even the Wife liked them.

BSK_convert

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 10:02:24 PM »

I always had this recipe to try one day.  That day looks like this nice long weekend Smiley  If I find a mango marmalade, I'll do that instead of orange.

Just a quick question for those that have tried it.  Is the chicken done on direct or indirect heat?  Also, if I just do a few pounds, can I halve the recipe?

Thanks in advance.
BSK_convert

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »

I always had this recipe to try one day.  That day looks like this nice long weekend Smiley  If I find a mango marmalade, I'll do that instead of orange.

Just a quick question for those that have tried it.  Is the chicken done on direct or indirect heat?  Also, if I just do a few pounds, can I halve the recipe?

Thanks in advance.

I did this twice since Labor Day weekend.  The first time was indirect and the second time was direct.  Both times chicken came out great tasting, except the second time, the color was way better looking.  Both times when I made the marinade, it tasted pretty spicy.  However, once you baste it and smoke it till it caramelizes, the spiciness is reduced a lot.

Hope that helps.   
Mr. G.

Halifax, NS

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 07:37:21 AM »

I did this twice since Labor Day weekend.  The first time was indirect and the second time was direct.  Both times chicken came out great tasting, except the second time, the color was way better looking.  Both times when I made the marinade, it tasted pretty spicy.  However, once you baste it and smoke it till it caramelizes, the spiciness is reduced a lot.

Hope that helps.   
Did you find any mango marmalade to use, or did you stick with the orange? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: