Broil King Keg Forum
May 24, 2018, 08:58:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Secret Smoked Salsa...  (Read 9861 times)
Porchpup

Smoking With Bubba in Celina, TX

« on: April 18, 2010, 04:12:41 PM »

Since I'm in the giving mood today, I'm going to share with you folks my World Famous salsa recipe.
I started smoking this recipe on my 7-in-1 Masterbuilt smoker years ago but this is the first time on the Keg.
The ingredients and procedure are posted below but I wanted to touch on the smoking part.

The main thing is we are not trying to "cook" the veggies, only add smoke flavor to them. The lower the temp the better.
Here's how I maintained a low fire. I had a lot of left over coals from last nights burn and have found they tend to burn cooler then fresh coals.
I added some fresh pieces of lump on top and plenty of Mesquite chips to the mound. I started with one small starter stick at top dead center.
I lit the starter and immediately close the lid with the top vent wide open and the bottom at 3.
Once the starter burns out (about 10 minutes) add the diffuser, grate and veggies. Set the top vent to 2 and bottom to about 1/2 inch open.
By doing this I was able to hold 150 (grate temp) for 45 minutes. At that time Bubba began to rise in temp so I closed the top down to 1.
It held at 180 for the rest of the burn. In fact it's still going after 5 hours and is back down to 160 without touching it.

So here's the peppers, onions and such going on. This basket works out great for allowing the smoke to do it's thing.

Bubba smoking and warming up.

After 1 1/2 hours remove the first batch and put the Tomatoes on for 1 hour only.

As you can see after 1 1/2 hours we're just adding smoke and not trying to cook the veggies.

Once everything has time to cool off, cut into manageable pieces and fire up the food processor.

I always drain off some of the juice because I don't like it too soupy.

This recipe only makes 1 quart but I always double it and make 2 quarts because it doesn't last long.
I put them in 1 cup containers and keep what I want and sell the rest to workmates for $3 a cup to break even.

This recipe is best when smoked but works just as well without it. I sometimes go without the smoke and it's still wonderful.

Buy List Per Quart Of Salsa
1 Good Size White Onion
2 Jalapeo Peppers
2 Cloves of Garlic
2 Serrano Peppers
10 Chile Peppers (dehydrated)
2 Stalks of Celery
1 Poblano Pepper
3 Fresh Tomatoes
1 Bundle of Cilantro (Leaves Only)

Spices On Hand
 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
1Teaspoon of Cumin
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
2 Teaspoons of Salt
1 Tablespoons of Black Pepper
Tabasco (If needed add last for taste)

Ingredients To Smoke For 1 Hours Over Mesquite Wood
1 White Onion cut in half. Dashed with Olive Oil, Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper.
2 Jalapeo Peppers split to allow smoke in.
2 Cloves of Garlic cut in half.
2 Serrano Peppers split to allow smoke in.
1 Poblano Pepper with stem and tip removed to allow smoke in.

Only Smoke Tomatoes For 1 hour
3 Tomatoes cut in half. Dashed with Olive Oil, Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper.

Allow to cool completely after smoking.

Blending In Food Processor
Cut stems from all peppers while leaving juices and seeds for HOT.
Cut stems from all peppers drain all juices and seeds for MILD.
Cut all smoked ingredients to manageable size for processor and blend for a few seconds.
Add Olive Oil, Cumin, Salt and Black Pepper. Quickly blend again.
Cut 3 fresh Tomatoes to manageable size and add to mix. Quickly blend again.
Add Celery, Cilantro and Chile Peppers and blend thoroughly.
Add Tabasco (ONLY IF NEEDED) to taste and mix to final consistency.
Drain extra juices for thicker consistency.

Allow To Chill For A Day Or Two For Best Taste.

2009 Bubba Keg #3258.
For Sale--1998 Red Weber Performer, 2008 22.5" WSM and 2009 UniFlame Gold Gasser
EconomicDisconnect
Superhero Member

North of Boston, MA

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:55:15 PM »

Now I want to make burritos with that salsa to go with it!  Very nice indeed.  Thanks for the recipe, this one should get a folder on the recipe section, looks excellent.

For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »

Porchpup,

I will be definitely be giving this a try real soon Shocked  It caught the First Mate's attention too..

Thanks,
Boat

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
hawkkeyplayer

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »

Secrets are only good if you can share some.  Looks like a great recipe, I never thought of smoking my salsa.  This will be my next salsa, I will make it with my pulled pork burritos.
Thanks for sharing.
Hawk
Porchpup

Smoking With Bubba in Celina, TX

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:54:53 PM »

Thanks all. The only thing to be careful of is the mixing of different smoke woods.
I tried this salsa on pulled pork tacos. The pulled pork was smoked in a different wood than the salsa and the two did not mix well.  Undecided

2009 Bubba Keg #3258.
For Sale--1998 Red Weber Performer, 2008 22.5" WSM and 2009 UniFlame Gold Gasser
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »

Porchpup,

Looks like a great salsa and one that needs trying.
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 06:50:10 PM »

That looks really good will give it a try based on the whats in it including the sssssmoke it will be fantastic

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
ODHA Inc

Ruston, LA

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:46:44 AM »

thanks for sharing this - looks great

Building a fire that way would probably work very well for smoking salmon or other fish!

one question - 10 Chile Peppers (dehydrated) do you use these dry or do you re-hydrate by soaking them?
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 02:30:26 PM »

thanks for sharing this - looks great

Building a fire that way would probably work very well for smoking salmon or other fish!

one question - 10 Chile Peppers (dehydrated) do you use these dry or do you re-hydrate by soaking them?

I always soak but this allows rehydrating with the water content

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: