Broil King Keg Forum
October 21, 2018, 06:17:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trader's Village Results  (Read 3193 times)
Cosmic Dave

« on: October 10, 2011, 06:05:02 AM »

We, I'm happy to report that I pulled a 13th place in brisket at the Trader's Village cook off against arguably the best brisket cooks in Texas (at least north texas).  There were a whole bunch of Jambo pit's out there (79 teams) and Danny Christian showed up.
He's is our local BBQ hero since he qualified for this year's Jack by winning 7 grand championships.

Since TY pays 15 places in each category and gives extra money for IBCA members my take home was $200 for 13th place.  Not much but it paid my $100 entry fee with some beer money left over.

I had the only BSK and managed to cook my brisket in only 4.5 hours hooked up to my BBQ Guru.  It was about a 13 lb prime packer cut down to about 9-10 lbs.  Seems wasteful, but since I know I will not be turning the point, I cut most it off but take advantage of the fat that remains in that part of the brisket.

Our next cook off will be in Lake Texoma in 3 weeks and I'm anxious to try my new brisket recipe again.

Dave
BigFoodie
Superhero Member

Grill It, Chill It, But Dont Dare Spill It!

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 06:16:08 AM »

Congrats - got any pics you can share?

Don't blame me if your smoke alarm went off - you're the one that opened your windows down wind.

Central NJ
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »

Sound like you did good.  Congrats.

What temp did you cook the brisket at? 

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
fan1970
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:18:23 AM »

Way to go  Cheesy  Boy I sure miss Traders Village been 30 years since I was there and never for a contest.

I'm not always right, but I always have an opinion.

My two favorite NFL teams are Dallas and ANYBODY that plays Washington
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:36:59 AM »

Congrats - sounds fun

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
trey
Keg Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Grayson, GA

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »

Sounds like you did well to me. Congrats! To cook a 9-10lb brisket in 4.5 hours I'm guessing 350*.

BSK #5315
jsegura3
Superhero Member

San Antonio, TX

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »

Congrats on your brisket finish! Nice  Smiley

So I'm assuming you cook hot and fast, do you wrap at some point during the cook?
Cosmic Dave

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 02:32:40 PM »

Sorry, no pics.  We had a big thunderstorm on Saturday night/Sunday morning and were fighting the elements most of Sunday.
I cook at 250 and wrap (or pan) at about 3 hours or at 165.  At 195 I start testing for tenderness in the middle of the brisket.  Like a lot of people say, it's tenderness, not temperature that really counts.  Looking for that temp prob to slide in like butter.

205 was the magic # for my last few cooks but every brisket seems to have a mind of it's own.

When it's done I throw it into a cambro - used to be an ice chest - until it's time to slice it for turn in.

Dave
jsegura3
Superhero Member

San Antonio, TX

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 07:06:13 AM »

CD, I pretty much use the same method with good results (most of the time). My comp. brisket(s) I did a few weeks ago were done about 3 hrs early so I wrapped them in foil and put them in a cooler. However, I think between the heat of both of them, they cooked a little more and were slightly over done. I had a hard time keeping the edges of the brisket from crumbling apart. I usually do just one brisket, so lesson learned - pull at ~95% doneness.
Vindii
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 07:38:56 AM »

Sorry, no pics.  We had a big thunderstorm on Saturday night/Sunday morning and were fighting the elements most of Sunday.
I cook at 250 and wrap (or pan) at about 3 hours or at 165.  At 195 I start testing for tenderness in the middle of the brisket.  Like a lot of people say, it's tenderness, not temperature that really counts.  Looking for that temp prob to slide in like butter.

205 was the magic # for my last few cooks but every brisket seems to have a mind of it's own.

When it's done I throw it into a cambro - used to be an ice chest - until it's time to slice it for turn in.

Dave

Do you mean 350?  250 seem like it would take more time?

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
trey
Keg Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Grayson, GA

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »

I was thinking the same thing Vin.

BSK #5315
Cosmic Dave

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »

that was no typo.  I cooked at 250, give or take a few degrees.  Usually, at that temp it takes 5-6 hours to get a brisket done.
For years I cooked brisket all night at 225 and finally figured out that almost all the "Big Dog" circuit cookers got up at 4AM or so and started cooking their briskets for a 2PM turn in.  Granted, many cook flats instead of packers but I cut mine down to an oversized flat.

It could have had something to do with it being a prime brisket and having more marbling than a choice or select brisket.  I have never cooked a waygu brisket but I have heard they cook a lot faster. 

Anyhow, just going up 25 degrees seems to make a big difference.  Could also be related to the chemical changes created by the injection.

Dave
Vindii
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 09:32:36 AM »

Thanks for confirming.  Im surprised that they cook that fast.

See post 18

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: