Broil King Keg Forum
February 17, 2018, 04:34:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackened Saugeye oh the Keg  (Read 7450 times)
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« on: April 06, 2010, 05:00:52 PM »

Blackened my 1st fish on the keg tonight. I had some saugeye filets thawed out so I fired up the keg to 650 degree placed my 10 inch cast iron skillet I use for camping on the lower grate. While this was heating up I seasoned the fish with the seasons we had mixed together.

2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoons sea salt* or to taste
2 tablespoons onion granules
2 tablespoons garlic granules
2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed

Sprayed the fish and skillet with pam butter flavor cooking spray and cooked for 2 minutes per side. Results were great.

Porchpup

Smoking With Bubba in Celina, TX

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »

Nice job RNF. That looks like it turned out perfect.
I'm not a big fish eater other than fried catfish, but that looks wonderful. Tongue

2009 Bubba Keg #3258.
For Sale--1998 Red Weber Performer, 2008 22.5" WSM and 2009 UniFlame Gold Gasser
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:33:31 PM »

Porchpup,

At one time we ate all our fish fried but after doing it this way my daughters seem to prefer it blackened and I like it also. Grin 

So at least half the time it gets blackened now. With the high temp. capabilities of the keg it is perfect for blackening fish.
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:21:47 PM »

Heck Ya!

That looks great to me Cool  I've never done blackened fish, but I would love to try that Grin

Thanks!
Boat

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 08:09:54 PM »

I've never done blackend anything on the Keg, but I know it's a popular cooking method on other Kamados.  Have to add that to the want-to-do list.

RB
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »

I have blackened fish quite a few times on my old gas grill but the keg was able to reach a higher temp and hold it better. This helps a lot in being able to sear the outside while the inside was moist but done and would flake off when touched with a fork.

It is something I would recommend trying.
GrillSarge
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Doggie water taxi service http://www.zeemaps.com/k

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 04:00:59 AM »

If I send these to you will you fix'em for us Grin

The Black Cauldrons of Celtic myth.  Known as Undri, The Irish God the Dagda's cauldron from which no one leaves hungry or unsatisfied and Amen the Welsh Goddess Ceridwen's vessel from which flows wisdom and inspiration.  Also the cauldron of Annwn  that won't cook the food of a coward.
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »

Eric,

I can get them blackened but you need to be close when they come off the grill because they don't last long around here. Grin
Grandpa JD
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Charleston, SC

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 06:54:31 PM »

I know this is an old post, but I was bored, so I thought I'd search through the recipes and this one caught my eye, it looked like an awesome and easy cook.  I need to do some blackened tuna steaks on the keg following RNF's general guidance.  There are a lot of other good recipes on the recipe board, so for any of you newbies out there and old kegheads getting bored, the recipe board has a lot of great ideas.

"To the stars on the wings of a pig."
RiverCityRub
BSK Hero of the Month

Bartlett, TN

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 08:18:29 AM »

I know this is an old post, but I was bored, so I thought I'd search through the recipes and this one caught my eye, it looked like an awesome and easy cook.  I need to do some blackened tuna steaks on the keg following RNF's general guidance.  There are a lot of other good recipes on the recipe board, so for any of you newbies out there and old kegheads getting bored, the recipe board has a lot of great ideas.

I'm glad you brought it back up. Been looking for something like this. Fish looks wonderful.

Smokers/Grills I use:
BKCG - #3998
Primo XL
Weber Summit Gold
Backwoods Party
Backwoods Piglet
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:02:42 PM »

JD do not do blackened tuna it will be dry like canned

Pick any trout and have at it that should not be problem in the Carolina's - Paul Prudohmme used Black Drum for his blackened redfish

I agree there is a wealth of info available by looking back in posts

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Grandpa JD
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Charleston, SC

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:38:15 PM »

JD do not do blackened tuna it will be dry like canned

I might have a misunderstanding of blackening, but for me, a nice thick tuna steak with a blackening seasoning can be seared for two minutes on a hot iron skillet, then flipped and seared on the other side for two minutes.  It should still be moist/rare in the middle.  I could never do that kind of blackening in the house on the stove because I couldn't get the teflon coated non-stick skillet to act like a fire grilled direct heated hot iron skillet.  To me, blackening is the spice, and the hot heat to sear quickly.  Blackening is not cooking over high heat and flipping until it all dries out.

"To the stars on the wings of a pig."
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 06:20:21 AM »

I might have a misunderstanding of blackening, but for me, a nice thick tuna steak with a blackening seasoning can be seared for two minutes on a hot iron skillet, then flipped and seared on the other side for two minutes.  It should still be moist/rare in the middle.  I could never do that kind of blackening in the house on the stove because I couldn't get the teflon coated non-stick skillet to act like a fire grilled direct heated hot iron skillet.  To me, blackening is the spice, and the hot heat to sear quickly.  Blackening is not cooking over high heat and flipping until it all dries out.

That is a whole different situation - sounds good JD

I do blackend redfish and the burnt butter and time it takes to crust the fish would be to much on tuna but a seasoned high heat quick sear makes sense

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
ohiobbq

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »

Holy Moly!  Just finished some Lake Erie Walleye using this recipe.

Out-flipping standing!!!  Wonderful, wonderful.  A "keeper" in my book.
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 07:18:13 PM »

Jd,
I would like to know how the tuna turns out if you try it. My family has gotten to the point where they would rather have have fish blackened than deep fried.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: