Broil King Keg Forum
May 27, 2018, 04:41:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First try at Tasso (with Tasso & Andouille recipe)  (Read 9921 times)
smokey
Superhero Member

« on: June 29, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »

Followed the recipe loosely since each one of three recipes was different. getting a scale for measuring cure was a milestone.

Since I've never had Tasso, guess it is still not Cajun ready.  Grin

But I'll get there.

Did half a Costco shoulder pack. About 8-10 pound. Made sausage with the rest.

Fully cooked product out of vacuum seal

Dry seasoned for a week with #1 , salt sugar
Rinsed then put seasonings and left a day with rub

Final rub

Rigged up a smoking diffusor

Then put the inzone pan on top wit a tad of water to avoid burning juices/fat

This setup generated max smoke at lowest temp possible took about under 2 hours to climb to 220
I used recycled lump

All I got to do is get the spices right to make it authentic.

As is works for pizza, beans, eggs rice,
I made some tacos with sauerkraut killer...

Tastes like Canadian bacon.

What killed the board? Narcissists
Smokin in Peosta
2X Hero of the Month; 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Smokem if youv'e got them

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 05:58:44 AM »

Nice post. tacos with sourkraut sounds awesome.

Mike
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:33:00 AM »

Did you start with a fully cooked butt or is the first pic the finished tasso?

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
rhodeje
Superhero Member

Central Illinois

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:15:48 AM »

Did it come out with an spicy flavor at all?

If you can eat it SMOKE IT!
Known now as the Adopted Brother.
KCBS judge
CBJ
Central Illinois
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »

Vin
You need to slice 1.5-2.5 inch thick slices of raw pork. Dry Cure for a week.

RH
Was not spicy
Ran out of pepper and needed more spices. Was pussyfooting around with the cayenne.   Still focusing on the cure - for lack of a better description I'll call it the "base" flavor.  Got that down  Next is to work on the finish.

SIP
Started using sauerkraut with pastrami and corn tortillas and a slice  of melted Swiss or muenster
Works with pulled pork too

Then depending on your mood either go spicy salsa, carolina style BBQ sauce or guldens mustard

We can get fresh corn tortillas around here.
U gotta try it

Vindii
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »

So the first pic is the finished tasso right?

I've never had tasso before.  Had to google it just to know what it was.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »

Did you start with a fully cooked butt or is the first pic the finished tasso?
the first pic is finished cook
I took that last night
The cook happened two weeks ago

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »

I've never had tasso before.  Had to google it just to know what it was.

Cajun talks about Tasso sometimes
I opened up a book and it was there.
Seemed like a good thing to try, so
I bought the book.
It is chartrucirie sp?

Vindii
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »

the first pic is finished cook
I took that last night
The cook happened two weeks ago

Got it.  Your pic order screwed me up.

I think I have that same book.

What kind of sausage did you make?

See post 18

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »

Got it.  Your pic order screwed me up.

I think I have that same book.

What kind of sausage did you make?

I made messed up sausages Did not use any recipe.  Got 4 books so read different recipes to try to understand and experiment. They all vary.

Did not have enough fat, mixed in too much beef so the first run came out too dry. Needed fat or apples or something. Wanted to see about what beef could do.
The grinder minced the meat too much
I saved the second batch by adding chicken thighs so ended up with something more flavorful
Next time I grind the fat but chop pork and chic.
I'm going after a particular taste, from this polish restaurant. Most recipes do not have chicken and this lady uses chicken.  
I'll also use powdered milk and sweetener as well as cure.
Learned a whole lot Smiley

Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 05:55:10 PM »

smokey very nice keep it up smaller pieces help/improve for all phases of prep and smoke 

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 04:49:08 AM »

Nice try! I see you appear to have sliced your tasso. Are you using it as a sliced luncheon type meat?
No offense but, tasso is usually smoked in chunks cut to be about 4-6 ounces a piece and it's used to season foods you cook. Dice it up and use in stuff like beans, gumbo, cabbage(smothered). Do a search for foods cooked with tasso recipes. Don't get me wrong, I've ripped a package of tasso open on the way home from the Andouille Capital of the world-Laplace Louisiana, and I've eaten it like jerky but ours down here may be a bit strong to use as a sandwich meat.
I have made my own and it came out good but, I just haven't been able to achieve the rich smokey flavor the real tasso makers can do so easily. I'm trying to come up with a solution for that problem though.

I'm going to send you a good tasso recipe later when I can dig it up.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 07:00:50 AM »

Nice try! I see you appear to have sliced your tasso. Are you using it as a sliced luncheon type meat?
No offense but, tasso is usually smoked in chunks cut to be about 4-6 ounces a piece and it's used to season foods you cook. Dice it up and use in stuff like beans, gumbo, cabbage(smothered). Do a search for foods cooked with tasso recipes. Don't get me wrong, I've ripped a package of tasso open on the way home from the Andouille Capital of the world-Laplace Louisiana, and I've eaten it like jerky but ours down here may be a bit strong to use as a sandwich meat.
I have made my own and it came out good but, I just haven't been able to achieve the rich smokey flavor the real tasso makers can do so easily. I'm trying to come up with a solution for that problem though.

I'm going to send you a good tasso recipe later when I can dig it up.
Thanks for the guidance Caj!
Smiley

I'm gonna need help, since I don't know how it's supposed to look or taste.
You can be direct.
I'd never take offense from you, on the contrary I'm grateful for you taking the time.

I have read that it is strong in flavor.
I did not spice heavily, was working with the cure portion which gives the pork shoulder the ham flavor.
So this did taste like Canadian bacon. or smoke pork chops
Eventually I'll get it Smiley
I'm mostly playing around with dry curing. Which is one reason I picked Tasso. The other reason is to learn about other foods not available in my neck of the woods.

So are the pieces are 1.5-2.5 inches thick?
In that case are they are like little squares, to be 4-6 ounces?
Mine came out looking about the size of large pork chops.

I'm making a cold smoker setup to get more smoke too..

Vindii
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 07:11:28 AM »

Not sure if this is helpful but I found this.

http://randyq.addr.com/tasso/tasso.htm

See post 18

Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »

Smokey, that's an appropiate name for you while you are making tasso. Lol....
Here's the recipe for tasso I promised you. That recipe in that link sounds a lil weak to me and you don't HAVE to have Tenderquick. More necessary in sausage.

This is John Folse's recipe:

Smoked Tasso

COMMENT:
Tasso is yet another example of the Cajun and Creole desire for unique flavor in a recipe. Tasso is a dried smoked product that is seasoned with cayenne pepper, garlic and salt and heavily smoked. The word tasso is believed to have come from the Spanish work "tasajo" which is dried, cured beef. Although this delicacy is often thinly sliced and eaten alone, it is primarily used as a pungent seasoning for vegetables, gumbos and soups.

INGREDIENTS:
4 pounds pork butt
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce
1/4 cup fresh cayenne pepper
1/4 cup cracked black pepper
1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup granulated garlic

METHOD:
Cut pork butt into one half inch thick strips. Place on a baking pan and season with Worcestershire and Louisiana Gold Sauces. Once the liquids are well blended into meat, add all remaining ingredients. Mix well into meat to ensure that each piece is well coated with the seasoning mixture. Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate overnight. Using a home style smoker, and using briquettes flavored with pecan wood and sugar cane strips if possible, smoke tasso at 175-200 degrees F for two and a half hours. Once cooked, tasso may be frozen or used to season gumbos, vegetables or a great pot of white or red beans.

PREP TIME: 2-1/2 hours
MAKES: 3 pounds

While you are doing great Louisiana stuff you'd just as well do some good Andouille. Recipe below.

Andouille Sausage

COMMENT:
Andouille is the Cajun smoked sausage so famous nationally today. made with pork butt, shank and a small amount of pork fat, this sausage is seasoned with salt, cracked black pepper and garlic. The andouille is then slowly smoked over pecan wood and sugar cane. True andouille is stuffed into the beef middle casing which makes the sausage approximately one and a half inches in diameter. When smoked, it becomes very dark to almost black in color. It is not uncommon for the Cajuns to smoke andouille for seven to eight hours at approximately 175 degrees.

Traditionally, the andouille from France was made from the large intestines and stomach of the pig, seasoned heavily and smoked. In parts of Germany, where some say andouille originated, the sausage was made with all remaining intestines and casings pulled through a larger casing, seasoned and smoked. It was served thinly sliced as an hors d'oeuvre.

It is interesting to note that the finest andouille in France comes from the Brittany and Normandy area. It is believed that over half of the Acadian exiles who came to Louisiana in 1755 were originally from these coastal regions.

INGREDIENTS:
5 pounds pork butt
1/2 pound pork fat
1/2 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup cracked black peppercorns
2 tbsps cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dry thyme
6 feet beef middle casing (see butcher or specialty shop)

METHOD:
Cube pork butt into one and a half inch cubes. Using a meat grinder with four one quarter inch holes in the grinding plate, grind pork and pork fat. If you do not have a grinding plate this size, I suggest hand cutting pork butt into one Quarter inch square pieces. Place ground pork in large mixing bowl and blend in all remaining ingredients. Once well blended, stuff meat into casings in one foot links, using heavy gauge twine. In your home style smoker, smoke andouille at 175-200 degrees F for approximately four to five hours. The andouille may then be frozen and used for seasoning gumbos, white or red beans, pastas or grilling as an hors d'oeuvre.

PREP TIME: 6 Hours
SERVES: 5 12-inch links

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: