Broil King Keg Forum
May 20, 2018, 03:14:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roasting Coffee On The Keg  (Read 11701 times)
hlsheppard

The world's best BBQ is on my deck!

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 06:33:22 AM »

Great post beefeater.  I'd like to see this on the recipe board.

I'll second that motion!

Howard Sheppard

www.LifeBeyondTheAssemblyLine.com
Defy Boundaries Coaching
"Integrity-Based Sales Coaching"
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 07:06:26 AM »

Very cool! How long have you been doing this?

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
Creature
Keg Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Vancouver, BC

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 07:44:25 AM »

Simply outstanding!

I'm reading this as I have my morning coffee, envious because mine is commercially roasted.
ranbeaux
Keg Hero of the Month | Fish Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Keggin down south in Pasadena, Texas

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »

Just ordered my first 1/2 lb green bean sampler packs ta try...
 Thanks for another hobbie... Huh

"RIGHT WING NUTT JOB"
"BITTER CLINGER TO MY"
  " GUNS AND MY KEG "
beefeater

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »

Very cool! How long have you been doing this?

I think I've been roasting my own beans for about 4 years. I started our with a air roaster called the Freshroast+ and a basic Hearthware burr grinder. (as opposed to the whirling blade kind) That enabled me to get into enough to taste the difference that fresh roasting and proper grinding/brewing make.

Unlike bbq, there are a lot of variables that are difficult to maintain consistently. Any problem or mistake with the raw bean, the roast, the grind or the brew and you've got yourself a pretty lousy cup of joe.

Would be interested to hear if you discern any difference in the final brewed cup of Bubba Joe vs. Regular Joe

Actually I ground and brewed a pot this morning and it was might fine! Yes....the keg does coffee well too! Although when I cooked my spatchcock chicken last night there was the lingering smell of roasting coffee beans in the air. (which smells more like popcorn than it does brewed coffee)

Just ordered my first 1/2 lb green bean sampler packs ta try...

It all starts out so innocently. Please don't tell your wife who gave you the idea!

Anybody that has any questions or wants more resources feel free to post or PM me.

-beef

"Sex, air and BBQ are only important when you're not getting any!"
Inbagt

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 10:45:57 AM »

Great! My wife is a coffee addict, and she read the post with a dropped jaw!
BakonGrill
Superhero Member

A couple miles from Horse Shoe, NC

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »

I'm pretty safe from taking up this new pastime-- I'm not a coffee drinker. For some reason, I never acquired the taste, but I sure do love the smell of fresh coffee Tongue.

One of the members of the woodworking tool club I belong to mentioned to me last year that, although he has several high quality roasters of various ages, the hardware he uses most often is the old WearEver Popcorn Pumper from back in the 70's-80's which he finds at thrift shops and places like that. Apparently it does coffee better than I remember them doing popcorn Grin.

BakonG
beefeater

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »

One of the members of the woodworking tool club I belong to mentioned to me last year that, although he has several high quality roasters of various ages, the hardware he uses most often is the old WearEver Popcorn Pumper from back in the 70's-80's which he finds at thrift shops and places like that. Apparently it does coffee better than I remember them doing popcorn Grin.

BakonG

Yes...several styles of popcorn poppers are popular to modify into coffee roasters. Mods involve bypassing t-stats to enable them to hit 500 degree temps. That in turn requires mods to other components to withstand those temps. My main roaster is a Stircrazy popcorn popper combined with a convection Turbo oven with mods to both to make the combo into a roaster.

"Sex, air and BBQ are only important when you're not getting any!"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: