Broil King Keg Forum
November 15, 2018, 08:15:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roasting Coffee On The Keg  (Read 12289 times)
beefeater

« on: June 25, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »

Welcome to my "other" addiction!

Hello...my name is Beefeater and I'm an addict. You see long before I cooked my first meal on a keg I was spending hours in my garage huddled over a different smoke producing contraption in search of the perfect cup of coffee. You see I'm not only a kegger, I'm also a home coffee roaster. So today while my wife was gone I decided to combine my two addictions into one common effort of mindless self indulgence.

Much like BBQ...roasting coffee can be as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it. Here's all you need to do it in it's simplist form.

I had just less than 2 cups of Sumatra Mandheling left from one of my stashes of green beans. Decided this would be a good amount for my first try at keg roasting. I usually have 20-30 pounds of various green coffee beans from around the world on hand.

Brought the keg up to 500 and gave it a few minutes to stablize.

Dumped the green into the preheated wok and started slowly stirring with my bamboo spatula. Any wooden spoon will work. You want to keep the beans constantly in motion.

At about the 5 minute point the beans have taken on a golden brown color and are beginning to realease chaff and producing a little smoke. At around 8 minutes they are beginning to brown nicely.

Close to the 10 minute mark I hear the pops of what is called 1st crack in the roasting process. Smoke has increased and lots of chaff is now being released.

The popping sounds of 1ST crack last about two minutes and the there's a minute or two of almost no popping at all as first crack winds down. Right around 14 minutes the process enter 2nd crack where the  pops turn into more of a snapping sound much like a pencil or a dry twig being snapped.

At this point there is a lot of smoke being produced and depending on how dark I want my coffee we're getting close to time to pull it from the heat and move quickly to the cooling cycle.  I like my coffee quite dark and usually go a minute or two until I'm into a rolling 2nd crack. This will be around a City+ but not quite a french roast.

Once I achieve my desired level of roast I need to pull the wok off the keg and get the beans cooled as quickly as possible. I dump the hot beans from the wok into the collandar and begin pouring them back and forth over the cooling fan. This takes about five minutes until the beans feel completely cool to the touch.

Not bad looking beans for my first try on the keg.

Into a glass storage jar with the lid cracked open for about 24 hours to let the beans degass for the next 24 hours.

Although I'll probably steal enough to grind up for a Sunday morning pot of coffee to enjoy while I'm kegging breakfast.

Lots of info on the web about home roasting. Here are a couple of links if you're interested in learning more. Home roasting is to coffee what kegging is to bbq. It's a whole level above what you get in a shop or a store and a whole new level of quality and  satisfaction.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php

http://coffeegeek.com/

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/

"Sex, air and BBQ are only important when you're not getting any!"
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »

Wow!! Very impressive. I never would have thought of using the Keg for roasting coffee beans. I can smell those beans from here!

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Weber 18" Kettle
Smokin in Peosta
2X Hero of the Month; 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Smokem if youv'e got them

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 06:08:30 PM »

Thats really cool beefeater.
I was a little worried when you mentioned addiction and smoke producing contraption.

Mike
beefeater

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 06:10:45 PM »

Thats really cool beefeater.
I was a little worried when you mentioned addiction and smoke producing contraption.

That would be my third addiction that I'm not quite ready to fess up to.

ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »

That's just too cool.  Cool

Is it burnt??
BirdNerd
Superhero Member

San Rafael, CA

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »

Way to go beefeater and thanks for sharing. Would be interested to hear if you discern any difference in the final brewed cup of Bubba Joe vs. Regular Joe.  Cheesy

One of The (more than) Few. The Proud. The Kalifornia KegMen.
Shameless plug for our Lake Tahoe rental cabin: http://www.vrbo.com/120638
BakonGrill
Superhero Member

A couple miles from Horse Shoe, NC

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »

Hey Beef, would it work to make a small wire cage to mount into a BubbaTisserie and keep the roasting beans moving without having to stir them? You know, sorta like a rotating screen drum for those prize drawings, bingo or lottery numbers?

BakonG
beefeater

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »

Hey Beef, would it work to make a small wire cage to mount into a BubbaTisserie and keep the roasting beans moving without having to stir them? You know, sorta like a rotating screen drum for those prize drawings, bingo or lottery numbers?

BakonG

It sure would. Drum roasters are very common especially with the larger roasters. I have a drum I've been planning on building a larger roaster but it's too big for the BubbaTisserie. I'll keep my eye out for something that might work as a drum.

rhodeje
Superhero Member

Central Illinois

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »

That is so cool!! My hat is off to you!!  WOW!

If you can eat it SMOKE IT!
Known now as the Adopted Brother.
KCBS judge
CBJ
Central Illinois
BakonGrill
Superhero Member

A couple miles from Horse Shoe, NC

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »

A couple of small metal colanders (assuming they make small ones) clamped together somehow?

BakonG
Gator
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »

Thanks for posting this, beefeater!  I have a coffee roaster nearby that I always buy from - none of the coffee I buy is more than a day ot two since roasting - but I've been kicking around roasting my own.  This is great info for me to start looking through.
spoon

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 07:28:37 PM »

I loves me coffee and what about that third addiction Lips sealed
hlsheppard

The world's best BBQ is on my deck!

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 04:05:22 AM »

Nice work, Beef!

I'm a fellow home coffee roaster/espresso geek. Sweet Maria's was the place that got me hooked (way back when they were still in Ohio).

I've spent too much money on roasters over the years to use the Keg!  LOL (I need a cooling cycle!)

I like latte art as well...

Or should I say love???

Or sometimes just a double ristretto...

Howard Sheppard

www.LifeBeyondTheAssemblyLine.com
Defy Boundaries Coaching
"Integrity-Based Sales Coaching"
hlsheppard

The world's best BBQ is on my deck!

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 04:12:59 AM »

Lots of info on the web about home roasting. Here are a couple of links if you're interested in learning more. Home roasting is to coffee what kegging is to bbq. It's a whole level above what you get in a shop or a store and a whole new level of quality and  satisfaction.

The best quote EVER! 

Howard Sheppard

www.LifeBeyondTheAssemblyLine.com
Defy Boundaries Coaching
"Integrity-Based Sales Coaching"
Smokey_Mtn
Superhero Member

My carbon footprint is growing

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 06:19:42 AM »

Great post beefeater.  I'd like to see this on the recipe board.

Not intended to be a factual statement
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: