Broil King Keg Forum
November 18, 2018, 04:30:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baked Beans Low n' Slow  (Read 13971 times)
ICSmoke

Iowa City, IA

« on: June 24, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »

If you want to make baked beans from scratch to make the long cook with your meat, I made this one and my family went nuts.  I found this (most of this) on a site online from a link here on this forum but can seem to find the original thread.  So whoever posted this first, thank you!  I have modified it and still have some tweaking to do, but I think it is a good start.

Baked Bean done low n' slow

Ingredients

•   2 pounds beans, either kidney or navy pea variety (I used navy)
•   8 (1-inch) cubes salt pork or bacon
•   2 cups Spanish onion, sliced (and/or Red Onion)
•   1 quart Bean Goop, recipe follows

Directions

Preheat grill to 250 degrees F.
Fill a stockpot with the beans and enough cold water to cover them. Bring the water to a boil and parboil the beans for approximately 20 minutes. Drain the water and reserve for later use. Place 4 salt pork cubes (or bacon cubes) and half of the onion on the bottom of the bean pot (if using CI, make sure it is porcelain or enamel coated). Fill the pot 3/4 full with beans. Add the Bean Goop. Fill the rest of the pot with the reserved water**. Place the remaining cubes of salt pork and onion on top of the beans. Cover with a lid or first with a layer of plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil*. Slow cook on the grill for 10 hours at 250*. Check beans at that time, blowing on them to see if the skin peels back. If so, they are finished. Time will vary depending on your grill temp and how long the beans were parboiled in the beginning. Cooking time could increase to as long as 12 hours total.

Bean Goop:

•   2 1/2 cups very hot water 
•   3/4 cup dark brown sugar
•   1/2 cup molasses
•   1 small can of tomato sauce
•   1/4 cup cider vinegar
•   1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
•   1/4 cup Honey (if you like it sweeter)
•   1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
•   1/4 cup minced garlic
•   2 tablespoons dark chili powder
•   2 chopped canned chipotle chilies
•   1 1/2 teaspoons salt
•   1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

In a large bowl or medium-size saucepan, mix the hot water with the sugars and molasses to dissolve the sugars. Then mix in all remaining ingredients. Set aside for use in the Baked Beans.  If you want maple flavor beans, substitute the honey for maple syrup (maple syrup was used in the original recipe).
Yield: about 1 quart

*reason for the plastic wrap is that the acidic content of the bean goop will eat the aluminum.
**beans will soak up A LOT more water.  Don't be shy about adding even more to it.

so easy a Keg man could do it...
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:12:40 AM »

Move to recipes.   Grin

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
rhodeje
Superhero Member

Central Illinois

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »

Goin to the store!! Oh yeh! Got to try this. Thanks IC

If you can eat it SMOKE IT!
Known now as the Adopted Brother.
KCBS judge
CBJ
Central Illinois
mikes_bsk
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »

Sounds tasty - but until I buy a diffuser no extra room on the BSK with the Pork
Butt/Picnic
BakonGrill
Superhero Member

A couple miles from Horse Shoe, NC

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »

Move to recipes.   Grin

Seconded!!!  Grin

Thanks for the re-write, IC.

BakonG
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »

Ic

I put a cast iron Dutch oven under a chicken or ribs
Barely season the uncooked beans save for molasses or maple syrup.
Use a lot more rub on the meat
Really good results by catching the drppings.
Beans from the keg rock !

What killed the board? Narcissists
ICSmoke

Iowa City, IA

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »

Ic

I put a cast iron Dutch oven under a chicken or ribs
Barely season the uncooked beans save for molasses or maple syrup.
Use a lot more rub on the meat
Really good results by catching the drppings.
Beans from the keg rock !

I thought about doing that but was afraid that not having a lid would cause the beans to dry out too much.  My wife also suggested pre-cooking the bacon and waiting till the beans were done before putting it in.  If you're not having troubles with the beans drying out, I will definately give that a go!

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »

I thought about doing that but was afraid that not having a lid would cause the beans to dry out too much.  My wife also suggested pre-cooking the bacon and waiting till the beans were done before putting it in.  If you're not having troubles with the beans drying out, I will definately give that a go!

Haven't had a problem
What I got was onions floating and some of the fat juices from the meat, so it looked dry both times. I added a little more water but it was fine.

The beans took a long rime to work up to a simmer.
I was playing around just to see what would happen.
Beans are cheap.
I would experiment when you do ribs or chicken. At $1-2 dollars a bag you can explore.
I diced up some onions real fine and soaked them in a fifty fifty solution water and cider vinegar.
  For guests I'd do the recipe you posted

What killed the board? Narcissists
KillitandGrillit
Superhero Member

March Madness Tailgating Throwdown Champion

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 04:11:24 AM »

I think that may have come from my thread on my Memorial day cook. Did 2 8 pound butts and a pot of beans. It is a great recipe.

People call me Forrest Lump...

Do it 'till you cough blood, and then back off just a little

Grab your meat!
ICSmoke

Iowa City, IA

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:58:22 AM »

I think that may have come from my thread on my Memorial day cook. Did 2 8 pound butts and a pot of beans. It is a great recipe.

I knew the person who posted it first would recognize it.  I looked for the thread so I could give you credit, but didn't find it.  Thanks for posting it K&G!

thedietz

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 04:56:29 AM »

would there be any issue with preparing this the night before so tomorrow morning i just need to take it out of the fridge and toss it in the keg??  thanks guys..can't wait to try this one.   

Smoking a 7lb pork butt tomorrow and made 3 sauces from amazing ribs to try with it.  The Lexinton Dip...East Carolina Kiss and Vinegar ...and the South Carolina mustard sauce....CAN'T WAIT!!! 
trey
Keg Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Grayson, GA

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 05:42:16 AM »

I put the beans together and refrigerate them overnight so they are just as cold as the butt, and everything goes on at the same time. I stir them about once an hour while the smoke is rolling and then let them go untouched for a while. Towards the end of the cook I go back to stirring every hour and add some bbq sauce if they dry out too much.

BSK #5315
thedietz

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 06:28:26 AM »

thanks trey.  Any issues with not stiring these during the cook?  I usually don't like ot open the smoker once i get it set.  Also with hte plastic wrap that is suggested to be put on before the foil...it won't melt after 10 hours of 250 degrees???
thedietz

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »

Well this recipe made way more than i thought.  Just sizing things up and I don't think I'll be able to fit the pot it requires in my Keg with the meat.  If i was to just cook this in the oven (i know  Undecided) would i be able to do it at 350 or so and still get good results.  I really don't want my oven on for 10 hrs.  thanks guys
trey
Keg Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Grayson, GA

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »

I have not tried this recipe myself, but if you put plastic wrap under the foil it will be fine. I don't cover my beans when cooking on the keg since I want them to pick up some smoke. I also put the beans and butt on the keg well before I reach my desired cooking temp. It's usually around 100F when I load it up. I will stir a few times during the first 3-4 hours while the keg is slowly coming up to cooking temp,  then I go to bed. They go the next 6-7 hours uncovered without being stirred while I sleep. The top will crust, but just stir them up and it will dissolve. If they start to get too dry add a bit of water to quench their thirst.

BSK #5315
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: