Broil King Keg Forum
July 17, 2019, 10:04:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steak-n-Fixins - Throwdown Style  (Read 10807 times)
roaniecowpony
Steak Full Plated Meal - 2 x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Torrance California

« on: June 20, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »

This is my entry into the June steak TD.  

I built a medium sized fire in one of my charcoal baskets and cooked the bacon in an iron skillet.

The taters went on an hour or more before the steak at about 375F

As the taters neared being cooked thru, I took the charcoal basket and fire out, reloaded it in my Target cheapo stainless collander and loaded it about a half inch of to the top with fresh lump. I got it roaring with my propane burner, took my 4" high charcoal basket that was empty and turned it over to raise the collander up against the bottom of the cast iron cooking grate.  You could use bricks or any other fire resistant material for this.  But the fire being very close to the grate was the point and as a bonus, it left the cooler area around the outside for indirect heat. I thoughta that all by myself. Roll Eyes

Then I did grilled the Anaheim chili's directly over the collander in the keg for the slaw relish, cut up a whole mango and the chilis into a relish and added some lemon juice.  I probably should have added some fresh tomatoes or sun dried tomatoes.  I schredded some cabbage finely and plated it first and put the mango-chili relish on it.  

I colored up the taters by grilling directly over the collander after brushing with some of the leftover bacon grease and lightly salted them with my smoked salt.
Then the corn went on next and I colored it quickly over the collander full of coals.  

Then both the taters and corn went to the outside area of the grill and the USDA Prime NY steaks with liberal amounts of John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub went on directly over the coals in the collander.  About a minute later I moved them about 90 degrees for the cross sear marks, then another minute or less and I flipped them for the same on the other side. When they had the right sear on each side, they got moved to the outside of the grill where it was cooler along with the taters and corn.  

Then the veggies were up next.  They were some sliced yellow squash and zucchini.  I put EVOO on them then fresh cracked pepper and smoked kosher salt.  They were on just enough to color them as we like them a bit al-dente.

Then, of course, it was plating time.  My wife helped here as I was panicking that I wouldn't make the deadline.  It was like Chopped or one of those shows (More like Worst cook in America  Cheesy).

The tater got cheddar, butter and bacon bits.

I cheated  Embarrassed and used Costco NY steaks and I bought USDA Prime grade for this.  That pic above is not altered nor is there any added sauce or anything to that steak.  It's just juicey and oozes.

Chuck
Practice safe eating - always use a condiment
Bubba Keg Grill
BSK 2000
20x36 offset
600 inch gas grill
Gator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »

Tongue Makes me want steak.  Nice job!
roaniecowpony
Superhero Member

Torrance California

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:00:21 PM »

I think were gonna try the rest of that mango-chili relish on salmon tacos with cabbage tonight.  Wink

Chuck
Bubba Keg Grill
BSK 2000
20x36 offset
600 inch gas grill
rhodeje
Superhero Member

Central Illinois

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »

That is just a winner!!

If you can eat it SMOKE IT!
Known now as the Adopted Brother.
KCBS judge
CBJ
Central Illinois
ranbeaux
Keg Hero of the Month | Fish Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Keggin down south in Pasadena, Texas

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:04:54 PM »

Congrats Cow Pony... That was my vote bud.....   Just like I like it.... Wink

"RIGHT WING NUTT JOB"
"BITTER CLINGER TO MY"
  " GUNS AND MY KEG "
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:17:24 PM »

Great job RCP.  Hell of a cook.    Shocked Shocked

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
roaniecowpony
Superhero Member

Torrance California

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »

I dunno if I should wait till the statute of limitations runs out....buuuuuutttt.....I didn't get one of the ingredients from the grill to the plate (for the picture).  The corn. Still, I ate it anyways.

Chuck
Bubba Keg Grill
BSK 2000
20x36 offset
600 inch gas grill
rocket ribs
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 01:52:38 AM »

Great cook cp. You had it all the way.
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 05:19:45 AM »

Very Nice!

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 05:29:52 AM »

RCP nice work indeed - Congrats

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:35:18 AM »

Great cook. I really like your idea to raise the fire for hot and indirect zones.

Dan
tmcgee

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »

Awesome indirect setup.  I like that idea to get the heat as high as possible so the indirect food is truly that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: