Costco Harris Ranch Tri-Tip  
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Username  
Password

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Costco Harris Ranch Tri-Tip  (Read 2710 times)
roaniecowpony
Steak Full Plated Meal - 2 x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Torrance California

« on: June 08, 2011, 08:05:45 AM »

I was in Costco right after work yesterday and noticed they had Harris Ranch (a big cattle ranch in the central valley of CA, known for great beef, a nice hotel and great restaurant on I-5) marinated tri-tip.  I had tried the Morton brand in the past and it was pretty good, but a little over marinated for my tastes. I grabbed one and went straight home and fired up Bubba.  I seared first on my makeshift supersearing grill setup, then onto the keg with plenty of hickory and ran it at 300F with my Stoker for maybe 45-55 minutes when it hit about 125-130F.  10 mins rest and I slice some off into bite size pieces, added a juice made of broth, bacon, and some John Henry's marinade, and went to a friend's for our afternoon brew and bull session.  It was really a nice level of smoke and beef aroma that flooded the room when I openned the container.  It was a hit with the IPA that we had. Not over marinaded at all. Very nice.  Pics later today.  I'm at work now.

Chuck
Practice safe eating - always use a condiment
Bubba Keg Grill
BSK 2000
20x36 offset
600 inch gas grill
Renegade

Atlanta, GA

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »

Sounds good!  Can't wait to see pics.  You are quickly becoming the tri-tip king!
roaniecowpony
Superhero Member

Torrance California

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:22:30 AM »

Renegade,
It's actually a pretty easy cook compared to stuff like brisket, pork shoulder, or ribs.  Kinda halfway between a big thick steak and a roast.   I really like this cut of beef.  I'm thinking it may be similar in texture and fat content to a top sirloin roast of choice grade. 

Chuck
Bubba Keg Grill
BSK 2000
20x36 offset
600 inch gas grill
Renegade

Atlanta, GA

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 09:35:45 AM »

Yea I'm looking to try one soon, but the only ones I've seen around here are from Trader Joe's, and they are already pre-marinated.  I tend to stay away from the pre-marinated meats now because I just like the taste of meat, with a little salt and pepper, and smoke.  I need to make a run to Costco and pic up a good one for the weekend.  Always willing to try something new.  Thanks for the heads up.  
morgantm
Superhero Member

Durham, NC

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:41:23 AM »

Yea I'm looking to try one soon, but the only ones I've seen around here are from Trader Joe's, and they are already pre-marinated.  I tend to stay away from the pre-marinated meats now because I just like the taste of meat, with a little salt and pepper, and smoke.  I need to make a run to Costco and pic up a good one for the weekend.  Always willing to try something new.  Thanks for the heads up.  

Our Trader Joes carries some non-marinated ones, might want to ask the manager about it at your store.
smokey
Superhero Member

Keg Hero of the Month | Walnut Creek CA

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:56:15 AM »

Nice post Chuck
Renegade

Atlanta, GA

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »

Our Trader Joes carries some non-marinated ones, might want to ask the manager about it at your store.

Thanks.  I'll check it out. 
Skinsandos
Hero of the Month - 7 X Throwdown Champion
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 11:06:51 AM »

Tough to get tri tip in FL I wish they carried it

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 11:17:21 AM »

Skins
It really a surprise to hear that.
When people grill around here it's mostly burgers, dogs, tri-tip, and chicken pretty much in that order depending on who is grilling
roaniecowpony
Superhero Member

Torrance California

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »

If you get into the San Joaquin (pronounced Wa" keen) valley, which runs from about 50 miles north of LA to nearly mount Shasta at the top of the state, the term BBQ is synonymous with tri-tip, made popular by the Santa Maria style of grilling on an uncovered open pit with an adjustable height grill.

Chuck
Bubba Keg Grill
BSK 2000
20x36 offset
600 inch gas grill
LT E5

Cheshire, CT

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »

Recently, I've seen these and Flat Iron steaks advertised and carried in stores in CT.  I'm looking forward to trying both of these cuts to see what I've been missing.
BirdNerd
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

San Rafael, CA

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »

If you get into the San Joaquin (pronounced Wa" keen) valley, which runs from about 50 miles north of LA to nearly mount Shasta at the top of the state, the term BBQ is synonymous with tri-tip, made popular by the Santa Maria style of grilling on an uncovered open pit with an adjustable height grill.
As I recall, the traditional wood used to cook Santa Maria-style tri-tip is red oak. Chuck, have you ever used it? I've never seen it sold around here up north. Not sure if there's a lump version, as they often cook it over red oak logs, I think.

One of The (more than) Few. The Proud. The Kalifornia KegMen.
Shameless plug for our Lake Tahoe rental cabin: http://www.vrbo.com/120638
roaniecowpony
Superhero Member

Torrance California

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »

I haven't seen any red oak lump other than Royal Oak which seems to be oak scrap from saw mills.  Possibly the BGE lump is red oak as well.

It makes sense that it's cooked with red oak. Afterall, the coastal hills by Santa Maria are covered in red oak trees.

Chuck
Bubba Keg Grill
BSK 2000
20x36 offset
600 inch gas grill
FLbobecu
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 09:55:39 PM »

Seen it 4 times @ Petty's, recently. Expensive, I think they're asking $7/lb. It's isn't usually in stock often, and when I've been there, I've never seen more than two, and I try and go first thing Saturday morning (10am).
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »

lazzari caries a Oak in Calif, it's food service not retail.
I did not like it, may of gotten a bad batch.
I'll try to pick up some another day. maybe only a 20#
To give it a second chance.

http://lazzari.com/food-hardwood-lump-charcoal.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

MySQL |  PHP |  Valid XHTML |  Valid CSS