Broil King Keg Forum
May 27, 2018, 04:41:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABTs)  (Read 30142 times)
Ricky Bobby
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:24:10 AM »

Lando
BKCG Hero of the Month

Roswell GA

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »

I have been wanting to make these with Goat cheese and Chorizo sausage.  Those look tasty as hell!
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:23:07 AM »

A lot of BBQ guys use chorizo, which I think would be an improvement.  I used Italian sausage because that's what I had.
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:41:36 AM »

Those look great! A complaint I've had about ABTs is the uncrisp bacon when cooking indirect in the low and slow range, but the bacon in this cook looks like it got crispy at least on the bottom thanks to direct heat. Nice!

Leftover pulled pork or beef or chopped brisket is good for ABTs as well.

To help with the bacon issue use thin rather than thick slice and I've read of folks parboiling the bacon for 4 minutes or baking in an oven on a cookie sheet for a few minutes before assembling the ABTs (not tried myself yet though).

Ricky Bobby
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:47:10 AM »

The ABTs that didn't unravel all had the ends of the bacon tucked under, so the weight of the popper kept them from unrolling.

Direct heat definitely made a difference.  The bacon wasn't crispy, but it wasn't limp and soggy either.
Braddog

St. Louis, MO

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:16:23 AM »

Nice!  I love ABT's.  In fact, my wife accused me of making them too often.

Here are a couple of thoughts on ABT's

• I agree with the suggestion to use thin rather than thick bacon
  • They taste pretty darned good with just cream cheese as a filling, although if you have the ingredients and the time adding to the filling is good too.
  • I've found that a 1lb pkg of Oscar Mayer bacon (usually) contains 18 slices of bacon.  So, if you buy 18 jalapenos and use half a strip of bacon per ABT it all comes out evenly (assuming you halve the jalapenos)
  • Liven up your ABT's by hitting them with your favorite BBQ rub before you put them on

Cheers,
Braddog

Cause few things go together as well as Beer & BBQ
http://grillandbarrel.com
jfabernathy

Grilling and chilling since 1951

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »

Since you have the 1/2 jalapenos stuff with the cream cheese mixture, I don't guess you can flip them, right?

BKCG Serial #125 - RDU area, NC
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 04:58:53 AM »

USFMD82
BKCG Hero of the Month

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 01:04:03 PM »

You mentioned this thread in another thread I made, here is a picture of my first ever journey into the world of BBQ on October 20th 2006 (ABTS and a pork picnic) the first time I ever made ABTS as well as the last time I took pictures of them, i have made them maybe 3-4 times since. you got me wanting to make some again. I like your wrapping them in bacon I know some that will wrap in bacon just around the top, others have custom made grates that hold a bunch this was my el-cheapo version.

Ricky Bobby
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 01:26:51 PM »

I've done the chop-the-end-off-and-wrap-over-the-top version before, and I prefer the laydown version both because it's easier to type out and it doesn't require special equipment.  I think your low-buck version is pretty cool.  Makes me wish I'd thought of it before I burned out a uni-bit making a stainless steel version ages ago.

They are all good, though!  ABTs rule!
Braddog

St. Louis, MO

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:32:36 AM »

Funny this topic came up again.  I just did a load of ABT's & MOINK balls on Sunday afternoon.

I'm convinced anything wrapped in bacon and cooked on the BKCG is good!   Grin

Cheers,
Braddog

Cause few things go together as well as Beer & BBQ
http://grillandbarrel.com
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »

Braddog,

What are MOINK balls?  I haven't heard of those...

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:00:30 PM by Ricky Bobby » Logged
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 12:52:17 PM »

Thanks R~B!  Other than ABT's (which I learned from you, thanks) The only other bacon wrapped thing I've done is pickled watermelon rind wrapped in bacon.  I got the recipe from the BGE eggtoberfest cookbook on there website.  They come out sort of like bacon candy...

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »

I learned about ABTs, Moink balls, bacon explosions and such from the legions of BBQ wackos on the internet.  Apparently a lot of people like wrapping bacon around stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: