Broil King Keg Forum
May 27, 2018, 04:42:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek inspired stuffed porkloin by bbrewster  (Read 11198 times)
bbrewster
BKCG Hero of the Month

« on: March 10, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »

It has been a while since I have posted anything new and as an avid "consumer" of info on this site, I felt the need to contribute as well.

You know the saying "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail"...well I think "When you own a keg, every piece of meat looks like barbecue." In that spirit, I have been trying to get away from turning EVERYTHING into BBQ. We had a dinner party that turned into a greek theme. I always offer to cook the meat if we do a potluck. This time I took a 4 pound pork loin and cut it out flat (not an easy task). Spread some chopped olives, roasted red pepper, garlic, parsley, feta and spinach on the inside. Rolled that bad boy up tight and tied with some cooking twine. I put it on the grill at about 300 and cooked it for about 2 hours. Turned out GREAT! A nice little smoke ring but not overwhelmingly smokey.

I also made some stuffed zucchini as a side. I halved them, scopped out the inside. Chopped the "innards" with some onion, pepper, garlic and feta....and then stuffed it all back in. Put them on there for the last 30 minutes and they were incredible.

Anyway, take a look at the pics....I tried to well document the cook!

MOD EDIT - RECIPE

Take a 3-5 pound pork loin. It needs to be at least 6 inches in diameter and a fairly consistent thickness throughout (those pencil thin "tenderloins" that taper will not work).

With a very sharp knife cut it so it "rolls out" flat (See Lando's picture).

Know it's time to make the greek mixture:

In a bowl mix:
- 1/2 cup of chopped kalmata olives (standard black will work in a pinch)
- 1/2 cup of chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/2 of crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup of parsley
- 2-3 garlic cloves (depending on strength that you prefer)
- Pinch of sea salt and pinch of pepper

Spread that evenly around the rolled out pork loin.

Place on top of that fresh spinach (frozen will work but drain VERY thoroughly). See pictures of what it will look like at this point.

Roll up as tight as you can.

Using cooking twine tie off in about 4 places (or where needed if a hole formed). If your local store doesn't carry cooking twine ask the guy who packages the meat (probably not a butcher these days)...he/she will have some...you'll need about 4 feet.

Rub the outside with some sea salt and cracked pepper.

Preheat BKCG to 325F and cook for about 2-2.5 hours. I strongly suggest using a remote thermometer on this one...since it's rolled cooking times may vary due to how it was rolled.

I think it's important to emphasis you don't want to smoke it so leave all the wood chips for ribs and brisket. The lump charcoal is just enough wood flavor.

FYI---this is a fairly low fat entree(which is justification for making a bacon explosion the next day)

Enjoy!

* P1050626.JPG (163.16 KB, 602x452 - viewed 477 times.)

* P1050628.JPG (210.05 KB, 964x723 - viewed 341 times.)

* P1050630.JPG (206.74 KB, 723x542 - viewed 378 times.)

* P1050632.JPG (258.21 KB, 912x684 - viewed 450 times.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:51:12 PM by Ricky Bobby » Logged
vicdog

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:30:08 PM »

All I can say is WOW!
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:55:43 PM »

an almost empty Sam Adams in the pic makes this a fantastic meal - Great job bbrewster
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:08:25 PM by Skinsandos » Logged

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
BirdNerd
Superhero Member

San Rafael, CA

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:04:12 AM »

Incredible! Thanks for sharing and inspiring us!

One of The (more than) Few. The Proud. The Kalifornia KegMen.
Shameless plug for our Lake Tahoe rental cabin: http://www.vrbo.com/120638
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 07:05:08 AM »

Incredible! Thanks for sharing and inspiring us!
Oh ya, that's nice... Very nice!

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:08:35 AM »

Very well done.  That's a beautiful dish!

RB
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:31:35 PM »

Nicely done.
Lando
BKCG Hero of the Month

Roswell GA

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »

I made this bad boy last night, well done sir.  I took a little shortcut and used a chopped olive salad and some feta that had roast red pepper and basil pre mixed in with it.  It was good but I think I dried it out a little bit, there were no complainers and I am usually my own worst critic but I will keep this one in the back pocket for sure.  Thanks for a good idea  Cool 
hotdam

Kernersville,N.C.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »

Hello been following the board for about 6 months ,This is my first post,my simple question is how do you cut a round tenderloin into a flat piece of meat for stuffing,this looks outstanding.
Lando
BKCG Hero of the Month

Roswell GA

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »

Hello been following the board for about 6 months ,This is my first post,my simple question is how do you cut a round tenderloin into a flat piece of meat for stuffing,this looks outstanding.

Allow me to explain using my mad Microsoft paint skills (sorry I am at work)

The black circle represents the pork loin from a side view.  The red line represent the line in which you carve through the entire loin.  Think about unrolling a really tall  cinnamon roll

* Pork.JPG (10.41 KB, 543x385 - viewed 280 times.)
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »

Nice work.  We have an opening for a graphic designer... Grin
Lando
BKCG Hero of the Month

Roswell GA

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 01:59:26 PM »

Nice work.  We have an opening for a graphic designer... Grin

Lol so it got the point across?  I actually didn't have much trouble carving it, far easier than properly getting the deckle of a 14lb packer....
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 02:10:04 PM »

Joking aside it does get the point across.  It looks more complicated than it actually is.  The first time is the hardest.

RB
bbrewster
BKCG Hero of the Month

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 02:37:20 PM »

Sorry for my late response but Lando you got it perfect. Actually not that hard and yes it is hardest the first time you try it. But once you master that you can make a rolled pork loin out of almost anything....stuff some veggies, olive oil and spices and roll it up. Or get creative...I got the greek idea from another recipe. Glad you liked it Lando! I am flattered you gave it a whirl!!!!
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »

The black circle represents the pork loin from a side view.  The red line represent the line in which you carve through the entire loin.  Think about unrolling a really tall  cinnamon roll

Hey Boat-n-BBQ, here's your man to create your competition BBQ logo and sign ...  Tongue

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: