Broil King Keg Forum
February 21, 2018, 01:55:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverse-seared Pork Chops  (Read 7498 times)
Ricky Bobby
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:35:03 PM »

I'd originally intended to make this for the BBQ Brethren Porkchop Throwdown, but I got too busy to make it in time for the submission deadline.  Fortunately I made it just in time for dinner tonight!

I've been itching to try and make some "serious" pork chops.  Usually my family eats the ultra-lean boneless variety.  I also wanted to try and cook them using the reverse sear method to see if if I could get BBQ-like interior and a nice seared exterior.

I started with inch thick bone-in chops and just a bit of Tasty Licks Flyin Swine pork rub. 

I cooked the chops direct at 250* over heavy hickory smoke until the internal temp was 145*, then I put the spurs to 'em and cooked them at 600* until I hit 155* internal.  After resting a few minutes they topped out at just over 160* - right where I like pork.

This was going to be my throwdown platter - Chops with gorgonzola mashed potatoes, vegetables and grilled bread.

Overall, the chops were absolutely delicious, but just a tad dry.  I'm thinking there wasn't enough fat and connective tissue in the chop to stay moist during a low and slow cook.  The tip of the chop was absolutely perfect.  Maybe next time I'll try a cut from the shoulder end of the ribs.  Also, I think I'll try searing at a higher temperature.
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:24:56 AM »

I read on here someone tried something similar but put the meat into a fresh marinade while the keg temps climbed for searing. Would something like this method have helped the drieness?

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:57:04 AM »

Hmm, looks really good!  I'm thinking pork chops with BBQBeavers stuffed apples would make a nice dinner this evening Wink

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
The BBQ QB

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »

Hey RB,

Nice looking chops....

The recommended reverse sear cooking step should be done indirect. This may be why you got a dry chop. Also 160's a little high for me. Try 150.

But I bet the dryness came about as the result of the direct heat.

That's my guess.

Mike D

AKA - Mike D
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:14:26 AM »

I read on here someone tried something similar but put the meat into a fresh marinade while the keg temps climbed for searing. Would something like this method have helped the drieness?

I do the reverse reverse High Sear then back in fresh marinade then when keg is at 250 back on for approx 20 min, 155-160 off to rest very juicy

http://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php?topic=498.msg2548#msg2548

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:43 AM »

That's it Skinsandos, thanks.

My current 'challenge' is that my wife likes hers cooked med-well to boarding well done.
On the old gas grill I would throw her meat on first and the. Upon the flip I would place Carnivore Jr and my meat on.
They would be flipped and all meat complete at the same time.

My worry is trying this at 700+ degrees on the keg may not work for hers, just too much searing the outside.
I will have to give this method a try and experiment.
I am also trying to get her to eat meat properly, but we all know how I am making out with that battle ...  :'(
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 02:06:12 PM by BBQBeaver » Logged

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
welshbaloney

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »

I do the reverse reverse High Sear then back in fresh marinade then when keg is at 250 back on for approx 20 min, 155-160 off to rest very juicy

http://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php?topic=498.msg2548#msg2548

What's your technique for getting the BK temp back down to 250 after the high sear?

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: