Broil King Keg Forum
July 18, 2018, 01:24:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Red Kamado Kooker at Menards  (Read 38061 times)
jroget

Neenah, WI

« on: March 26, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »

I was at Menards today and they had a new Kamado style grill called the "Big Red Kamado Kooker"
The upper and lower vents were very cheap. Made from a light steel. I could spin the top vent
360 Degrees and it was so loose that it looked like it would fall off. The grill itself looked
like it was decently constructed, but it sure was not worth the money. It was priced at $348.

Considering I only paid $448 for my BSK, after seeing that "KOOKER" I feel like I got a great deal.

* IMG_8025.jpg (58.79 KB, 800x533 - viewed 1391 times.)

“When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.”

Jim
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »

Yea but they will sell quite a few I am sure 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:36:41 PM by Skinsandos » Logged

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:47:33 PM »

I bet they don't have a forum like ours!

After typing that, I checked and sure enough they do. Take a look at it.

http://www.kamado.com/discus/messages/3/3.html

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:01:45 PM »

Cajun

The site does not appear to be specific. Seems confusing cause the title in the web page say big red Kamado kooker
Some of posts are very old

Hope this helps

What killed the board? Narcissists
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 03:40:15 AM »

I bet they don't have a forum like ours!

After typing that, I checked and sure enough they do. Take a look at it.

http://www.kamado.com/discus/messages/3/3.html

Thats Komodo Komado stuff or a generic kamado site those KK are some high end cookers (I did not say high end cooks)

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
jroget

Neenah, WI

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 06:01:45 AM »

For the money, I thought it was a very inferior product. The gasket on the "kooker" I looked at was very
poorly done. The ends did not even meet. In fact, the gasket ends were pointing towards the outside of the "kooker"
creating about a 2 inch gap in the seal. It wasn't all bad, but for the money they could have made the dampers
a little better. I think whoever does buy these grills, will have a hard time keeping a consistent temperature.

“When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.”

Jim
mikes_bsk
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:37:08 AM »

I have no regrets I think my BSK rocks.
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »

Cajun

The site does not appear to be specific. Seems confusing cause the title in the web page say big red Kamado kooker
Some of posts are very old

Hope this helps

I know, I was just trying to prove that they aren't as motivated as we are here.

You know it's gotta be crap if Amazon doesn't sell it.Lol.....

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
Smokin in Peosta
2X Hero of the Month; 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Smokem if youv'e got them

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:57:16 AM »

You know it's gotta be crap if Amazon doesn't sell it.Lol.....
Grin

Mike
KillitandGrillit
Superhero Member

March Madness Tailgating Throwdown Champion

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »

I've seen that unit in person a few times- forum member TmcGee and I tore one apart today at Menards.

A few things I like:

Removable Ash Tray
Removable center to CI grate (drop in more wood/fuel as the fire is running, without removing food from CI)
Wooden side tables (look a lot nicer than plastic on the BSK)
The Price (348 @ Menards)

A few things I didnt like:

The top vent looks like it's made from slightly heavier material than a pop can.
The top vent doesnt seal as well as a BSK
CI grate is very thin- I would imagine it would be more prone to cracking/breaking
Entire grill feel is lighter- table & lid hinges are a bit thin
The "warming" rack moves around a lot- it almost needs a sleeve of some sort to fit into the CI better.
The thermal seal between the lid and bottom of the grill is secured by TINY metal clips, which pop out very easy

That being said, I think this would be a fine weekend warrior grill. Would I buy one if I couldnt afford a BSK? Sure. Would I trade my BSK for it? Nope.

People call me Forrest Lump...

Do it 'till you cough blood, and then back off just a little

Grab your meat!
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 12:42:03 PM »

Would I trade my BSK for it? Nope.

I think in the 9 months or so that Ive had my Bubba Ive heard of one for sale on craigslist and it was missing the lid.  Once you got one your not giving it up!

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
morgantm
Superhero Member

Durham, NC

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »

I think in the 9 months or so that Ive had my Bubba Ive heard of one for sale on craigslist and it was missing the lid.  Once you got one your not giving it up!

Ditto.  The only reason I feel the person I got mine from on CL sold it because he never actually used it.
tmcgee

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »

Yeah, that seal on the lid can be put inside each other.  I don't think the Menards employee's put it together right.  If I could find a BSK near me for the $429 price, it would be a no brainer.  But at this point, I can't part with $700 for a new one.  So to get into the lump charcoal cooking, I think it is a good learner for the money.  It is a far inferior grill though but you get what you pay for.
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 08:03:53 AM »

Yeah, that seal on the lid can be put inside each other.  I don't think the Menards employee's put it together right.  If I could find a BSK near me for the $429 price, it would be a no brainer.  But at this point, I can't part with $700 for a new one.  So to get into the lump charcoal cooking, I think it is a good learner for the money.  It is a far inferior grill though but you get what you pay for.

Are you in WI?  If so I would think you would still find some BSK in stock at menards or ace.  Menards was selling for $429 recently and Ace was at $499.  The Ace in West Allis still has one at $499.  It's about a minute from my house.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
ajnelson

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 06:52:15 PM »

Yeah I wish I could locate a BSK in Indianapolis (heck Indiana at all), but it seems I missed the boat by a month or so. There is a floor model in the Detroit area, and another somewhere in Michigan, but they won't ship to me. I'd def. pay the 429 to get one. So if anyone knows of one that I'm not aware of, please let me know! It seems the cheapest the 2011 models will end up being is 525 or so for the stripped down version, and a fair amount more for the BSK as we all know it.

As it is however, I may end up getting one of these Big Red Kamado Kookers despite its terrible name and cheapo vents. Its on sale for 279 until May 1st. If I can't find a BSK, I'll get this and some Permatex to seal those crappy vents up as best I can. I think its funny they have number markings on the top vent like the BSK, but there's nothing to match it up with and it just spins freely.

Are the BSK vents available as parts from the manufacturers? I may take the calipers to Menards next time around, and see about the top vent measurements. A retrofit of at least a better top vent could go a long way to making this Red thing a better smoker.
-Andrew
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: