Broil King Keg Forum
February 21, 2018, 02:00:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roasted Potato and Onion Bread How it was done.  (Read 5686 times)
Smokin in Peosta
2X Hero of the Month; 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Smokem if youv'e got them

« on: March 20, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »

Roasted Potato and Onion Bread Recipe:

Ingredients
Night Before:
1/3 cup bread flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup lukewarm water
1/8 teaspoon instant yeast
Soaker:
1/4 cup toasted cracked wheat
1/4 cup water
Day of:
2 cups bread flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
1 cup roasted potatoes and onions

Method
The night before you want to make this bread add all the "night before" ingredients together and mix till smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and leave on the counter for 12-16 hours. In a separate bowl combine the "soaker" ingredients together and cover with plastic wrap and leave on the counter for 12-16 hours. In the morning chop a few potatoes and place in a baking dish. Cut about a half a onion and mix with the potatoes. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil and some thyme roast in the keg till golden brown. Cool before using in the bread. Prep all the ingredients you will need ahead. This will help to make things move faster. In a large bowl add the "night before" mixture, the soaker, water, salt and instant yeast. Mix together. Add whole wheat flour and have the bread flour. Mix till the batter is smooth and well blended. Allow to sit uncovered for 15 minutes. Sprinkle some of the flour onto a flat surface and pour out the dough. Top with some more flour and begin to knead slowly adding in the rest of the flour. Add a little at a time till the dough is smooth and elastic. Plus, a little on the sticky side. You will need to knead the dough for about 8 - 10 minutes. Take the dough and flatten it out a little. Add the roasted potatoes and onions to the top of the dough. Now, knead in the potatoes into the dough. Knead till the potatoes and onions are well incorporated. Add a little olive oil to a bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow to rest till double in bulk. Pour out the dough onto a flat surface. Cut dough in half and shape each piece into a ball. Sprinkle some cornmeal onto parchment paper. Place the pieces of dough on top and dust with a little whole wheat flour. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 1 hour. Remove the plastic wrap and score the top of the bread with a sharp knife. Put into a Keg at 450 degrees on the baking stone. Create some steam by placing a cast iron pan below the stone. Once you place the bread into the keg add boiling water into the hot pan. Bake for 30 -35 minutes or till when tapped on the bottom of the loaf it sounds hollow.

Mike
ranbeaux
Keg Hero of the Month | Fish Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Keggin down south in Pasadena, Texas

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »

Mike,,, Breaux and I both said that was a picture perfect loaf... I thought it was a great entry and would love to make it.. Thanks for the how to..

Randall

"RIGHT WING NUTT JOB"
"BITTER CLINGER TO MY"
  " GUNS AND MY KEG "
Smokin in Peosta
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:59:12 PM »

Thanks guys. It's a very good bread it just needs a little sex appeal for a throwdown. The competition was great I love it.

Mike
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 05:54:50 AM »

Thanks for the great post!

I see this one getting used many times Wink

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »

Nice Smoke.  Ill be trying this one soon.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
Gator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »

Nice bread, SiP.  I'll try it also,
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:11:01 PM »

A technically perfect example of bread baking presented in a venue that couldn't do it justice.

nuff said.

I loved it.  Smiley

Is it burnt??
Smokin in Peosta
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 07:54:52 PM »

Thank you.

Mike
Yanknrebel
Chicken Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

You want sauce on that??? --Atoka TN

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »

SIP, this has gotta just be awesome with a thick juicy steak, to sop up those plate juices.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
lester7009
Superhero Member

Protect Your BSK

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »

Ok Looks great
Bigtom
Superhero Member

Big STEELERS Keg

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »

When I saw that entry it blew me away. That round would make Peter Reinhart proud. Great entry.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: