Broil King Keg Forum
February 18, 2018, 03:18:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onward MFG customer service - 1-800-265-2150  (Read 28709 times)
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« on: January 21, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »

New Onward MFG customer service number - 1-800-265-2150

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
KillitandGrillit
Superhero Member

March Madness Tailgating Throwdown Champion

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:16:27 PM »

I called in today to get the wire grate replaced (the weld broke and it busted off the post). I didn't have my receipt, so they made me pay for it. If I'm within 2 years after the date of manufacture, and it's got a 2 year warranty, who cares if I have the flippin' receipt?

People call me Forrest Lump...

Do it 'till you cough blood, and then back off just a little

Grab your meat!
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »

I called in today to get the wire grate replaced (the weld broke and it busted off the post). I didn't have my receipt, so they made me pay for it. If I'm within 2 years after the date of manufacture, and it's got a 2 year warranty, who cares if I have the flippin' receipt?

Did you ask them that...  What did they say?

I think the top grate is 3 years.

Main Body & Stand - 10 years
All Cast Iron Parts - no rust/burn-through - 5 years
Chromed Top Grate - no rust/burn through - 3 years
Fire Bowl - no rust/burn-through - 3 years
Lid Seal Gasket, Handles, and Side Tables - 3 years
Grill Cover & Thermometer - 1 year

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
KillitandGrillit
Superhero Member

March Madness Tailgating Throwdown Champion

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »

He said that he didn't make the rules, that he understood what I was getting at, and was sorry.

People call me Forrest Lump...

Do it 'till you cough blood, and then back off just a little

Grab your meat!
Da Bears

Chicago Area

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »

Can' you just give them your serial number?

Dave

Go Bears
miso_ohio

Obetz, OH

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »

I was just on the phone with them and they definitely want a receipt as well as pictures of the damage in order to honor warranty work. I had an old Bubba Keg bought less then 3 years ago, the receipt was no problem since I have it in email form. The pictures I was too impatient to wait until I got home late at night to get them so I just bought them.Definitely not Weber support for sure.

By the way the Gasket was only $17 but there is a flat shipping rate of $14.95. They could not tell me if the gasket was both or just one so I ended up buying too to play it safe because of that shipping charge.

Now that I know how they work I guess I will just stick with buying from second hand sources or just fixing things myself with non Keg supplies. Don't know if I would get another one with that sort of experience, they could of at least let me know what I was buying.   
SwineBelly

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »

Onward is obviously sleeping at the wheel. They don't promote the Keg. They want to fight you on replacement parts. And any company that has a representative that uses the term "I don't make the rules" needs serious help. Several guys including me announced that they are doing competitions. You'd think they would ask you to hand out fliers on the Keg or at least business cards. They still don't have a "dealer finder" for the Keg that's worth 2 cents. It's out of date and it neglects legit dealers totally.
It's a blueprint philosophy of companies that put the customer last and then the company or the product vanishes.

I'd suggest that you fire your marketing guy, but you'd have to hire one first.

From the website:"We are also committed to building a lasting relationship with you and are proud to have been carrying on that tradition for over two decades with our Broil KingĀ® brand."

You ARE building a lasting relationship...just look at the above posts! Rant officially OVER!
BBQRich
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:28:01 AM »

For what it's worth, the dealer locator was a problem - a new one is rolling out in the next couple of weeks.  The database we were using was incomplete and inaccurate, which hurts everyone involved on the sales and marketing side.

SB - I understand the frustration, and I'm trying to be judicious in addressing this - I agree with you on most of these points, but so much of what we do is constrained by the marketing efforts around the gas grill side of the business.  We manufacture 200 different gas grills under a variety of brands and sell them to retailer worldwide - does that mean we neglect the Keg?  Not at all, but the Keg is a small slice of the pie (Why do I always use food analogies?)  For my money, the Keg is one of the best and most unique products in our assortment and in the market overall.

Competition packages - I have items available and a competition criteria (coming in a new post late next week) - banners, t-shirts, signage, etc.  This, unfortunately is something that has been pushed back again and again - no good excuse there.

For promotion and marketing of the Keg - it becomes a chicken and egg argument.  Our US distribution is limited when compared to what our capabilities are in Canada.  If we market aggressively and don't have a dealer network to support it, we lose.  We have to build our dealer base organically (and we are...), but it is a comparatively slow process.

Finally, the miso's issue is not new - having to pay shipping can be contentious, but a step we arrived at last year after reviewing our freight costs on shipping raw parts, the business model did not work - 14.95 covers shipping to some locations but not others, but it does make the phone order parts business tenable for the future.

Pictures are a requirement for warranty - in my 10 years, that has always been the criteria in place - we can assess why parts are failing, and if it is in fact warranty in much more detail than just taking information over the phone.  That can be a cumbersome process, but it assures that:

a) We get you the right parts
b) We use the warranty policy as appropriate - sending parts sight unseen can be expensive and abused by less-than-scrupulous users.
c) We identify any ongoing issues - parts failing in the same place across a product line leads to product improvement.

Miso: I can't change the fact that you had a less than ideal experience - you have a Keg, you know it's a great product.  All we can do is continue to try to improve your experience.

SwineBelly

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »

BBQRich, I didn't know you were a rep for Broil King on here.
Sounds like you guys have a game plan in action but time will tell. I agree 100% that you have a superior product. The competition is good...real good...and they put their product in your face by advertising.

"If we market aggressively and don't have a dealer network to support it, we lose.  We have to build our dealer base organically (and we are...), but it is a comparatively slow process."

Just throwing this out there, but you'd think a company as big as Broil King would have thought about that before they decide to take a proven product, improve it, jack the price by hundred$$, and expect people to find it and purchase it. Your dealers that have Eggs push the Eggs. They also price the Keg what they want to price it. I can give you a dealer pricing it at $999...the exact same price he sells the large egg with plate setter and stand. A typical jack leg weekend BBQ dude will migrate towards the Egg because he's heard of it. The dealer will tell him that the Egg is warrantied for as long as he owns it. No contest.

I've had an Egg. I have the Broil King Keg now and like it much better. I'm getting ready to offer my dealer...that no one looking for a Keg knows about...for me to do demo's with the Keg on Saturday mornings. Maybe burgers, chickens and even a butt that'll I start the night before. I won't ask for a dime to do it because I want the Keg to succeed.

If accountants run your company and not BBQ guys, the current approach is easy to understand. I'll do my part to get the word out but if would be nice to brag about the warranty and customer service and not try to change the subject when someone asks about it.

This isn't a joke. When I was at the BBQ competition Saturday a guy came up to us and said "how do like that Egg?" I said, "it's not an Egg it's a Keg"
"A whaaaaat?"
BBQRich
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 08:36:43 AM »

SB - Great points on all items - it's a balancing act.  I don't know the magic solution, I do know the Keg is a hell of a lot of fun to use, and is nearly foolproof with a bit of practice.

Curious - what dealer is near you - we may be able to come up with something.  DM if you'd like (or post here)

Thx

smokey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »

Over the past few years there is a whole bunch of suggestions on how to improve.
Its all here. Some where.

Basically IMHO , "the biggest driver of keg sales is this board"

Resellers have been convinced to carry kegs only to end up "blowing them out the door" at the end of the season.
OSH had 11 of the BSK they only sold two in six months
The expert did not know anything about them.
Even to use them you need a small amount of support. The board, not ace hardware provides this.

What killed the board? Narcissists
SwineBelly

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »

BBQRich,
It's Stine's Lumber. I called them today and they comfirmed that they have one in stock for $699. This is a good dealer too. When I bought mine, they offered to bring it to my house and assemble it, but I declined. Last time I did a dealer search, it told me the only place to get one was 95 miles away. Stine's is about 3 miles...tops. Corner of Ambassador and Hwy 89 (Youngsville Hwy)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: