Broil King Keg Forum
July 16, 2018, 01:52:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow Smoked Turkey w/honey glaze  (Read 21459 times)
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« on: January 04, 2011, 10:24:07 AM »

I got so many compliments on this at the New Year’s Party I decided I should take the time to write thi up and post it separately.  

This really was an easy cook!  Grabbed a plain 12 lb turkey at Publix for .59 cents a lb.  Ya like $7 (cheap!) and a bottle of white wine on sale $6 and headed home.

Now this is a long cook so start early.  About a week early LoL   The turkey thawed in the frig for four days, brined for another day and prep, cooking and resting took almost a day.  Well that adds up to 6 days.  Not really much work, but you do have to plan ahead a little…

The cook was done at 230*, diffused (CI wok), on raised lower grate, using Publix Greenwise lump and 3 chunks of apple wood .  It took 13 hours (just over an hour a pound) till the breast reach 165* IT.  Add a one hour rest making it 14 hours Keg to table!

1. Brine the turkey for 24 hours.
    • Fill 5 gallon bucket (or small cooler) ½ way with cold water
    1  small bag of ice
    1.5 c. of pickling salt (Pickling salt idea provided by BBQBeaver.  It dissolves easier)
    2 c. of white sugar
    ½ c. of Plowboy’s Yard bird or seasoning of your choice (I used Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spice)
    2 c of hot water
    • Place salt, sugar and rub/seasoning into 2 cups of hot water and dissolve ingredients
    • Once dissolved, add to bucket of cold water
    • Place turkey into bucket and add water until the bird is completely submerged. Dump as much ice as you can on top of turkey.
    • If it is not 40°F or colder outside, place into a refrigerator for 8-10 hours.  If using a cooler ensure enough ice is added to keep it under 40°F (this was my method)

2. Remove from brine, rinse well inside and out then pat dry. Rub down real good with butter and rub - inside and out (I used Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spice)

3. Truss the bird up real good with cooking twine.  If you’ve never done it,  here is a great video by Alton Brown http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/how-to-truss-a-turkey-video/27751.html  
    • Re-add rub as needed after trussing
    • Place bird on a raised roast rack in a drip pan
    • A short one or two hour rest in the frig is fine, but not really needed

4. OK, put it on the turkey on the Keg, diffused, 230* and add 1/2 a bottle of wine to the drip pan.  Nothing to do for the next 6 hours.

5. At 6 hours check fluid level in the drip pan.  It should be almost empty.  Add the other 1/2 bottle of wine and maybe a little water.  Take a one or two hour break.  You deserve it!

6. At 8 hours start basting w/pan drippings once an hour.  You may notice the temp in the breast is real close to 165* and your thinking “oh no” It’s going to be done to soon!  Don’t worry, she’ll go through a stall.  The temp will prob even drop back into the upper 150*s.

7. Once the stall breaks and the temp starts climbing back and reaches 161-162* Start basing with the honey glaze.  You should get 2-3 coats of this on you bird.
    • Glaze mix – heat ingredients till mixed
    1 c. Honey
    1 c. Maple syrup
    2 c. Apple juice

8. At 165* IT in the breast pull the turkey and rest covered for 1 hour.  You can make wicked gravy from the pan drippings while that bird is resting too.  I de-glazed the pan, made a rue (thanks Cajunator!), added the strained drippings and it was great!

Thanks,
Boat

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
BakonGrill
Superhero Member

A couple miles from Horse Shoe, NC

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:32:29 AM »

That looks way good, Boat. I'd vote for the Recipe section after an appropriate wait for the positive comments.

BakonG

PS- Boat, you've got an ending bracket missing from your last image URL. The missing bracket is located at the bottom of the previous image. I guess it was just one of them traveling brackets.
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »

Thank BG!
Got it Wink

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:57:59 AM »

Outstanding as usual Boat.  You are one of the Keg Masters.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:50:18 PM »

Simply Marvelous  Tongue

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 03:35:34 PM »

I vote recipe section on both the process and the results.

Is it burnt??
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »

hell I missed voting this one in - I 2nd 2nd it

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »