Broil King Keg Forum
October 15, 2018, 10:42:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roast Beef Poor Boys for You Guys  (Read 6375 times)
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« on: December 30, 2010, 07:52:35 AM »

Since you're not close enough to come by and grab a poor boy, I thought I'd send you the recipe to make a couple of your own.

You can make this for Super Bowl Sunday to enjoy while watching the Saints beat either New England or Indianopolis.

Roast Beef Poor Boys
The poor boy sandwich is one of the essential flavors of New Orleans, and the roast beef is the king of the poor boys. Making roast beef for poor boys is more about making gravy than roasting beef. Inside round seems to taste best, but some cooks like eye of round or even ribeyes. It's best to cook the beef the day before, because it will throw off lots of good juices for the gravy, and the cold beef will be easier to slice. You can keep the gravy in a well-sealed container in the refrigerator for a few weeks, or freeze it for even longer storage. The most critical step in making a roast beef poor boy is to put the whole, assembled sandwich into a hot oven for two or three minutes before serving it. The flavor and aroma of the toasted french bread doubles the goodness.

•4-6 lbs. inside round of beef, trimmed
•1 large onion, quartered
•4 rib celery, cut up
•1 whole bulb of garlic, peeled and cut in half
•2 medium carrots, cut up
•2 bay leaves
•1/2 tsp. thyme
•1/2 tsp. marjoram
•1/4 tsp. black peppercorns
•1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
•1 to 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
•Salt
•Pepper
•~
•3 loaves poor boy bread, or 6 French baguettes
•1 head lettuce, shredded coarsely
•8 tomatoes, sliced thinly
•Dill pickle slices
•Mayonnaise

1. Season the beef round with salt and pepper. Put it in a Dutch oven or kettle filled about a third of the way up with water. Add the onion, celery, garlic, carrots, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram, and peppercorns. Roast it(in the Bubba or the oven), uncovered, at 350 degrees for four to six hours, turning the roast and adding water every hour or so. The water level should slowly drop, but don't let it get less than about two inches deep. The beef is ready when a meat thermometer pushed into the center of the beef read 160 degrees.

2. Remove the roast from the pot and place in a pan that will catch all the juices that come out as it cools. If you're cooking a day ahead (recommended), wrap the beef and refrigerate it as soon as it's cooled to room temperature. In any case, wait at least an hour before slicing.

3. Strain the solids from the stock in the pot. Bring the stock to a simmer. After removing excess fat, add all the juices that come from the roast, as well as the crumbs of beef that fall off as you slice it. Skim off the fat that rises to the surface. Cook to a light gravy consistency. (This also benefits from being made a day ahead, and cooling in the refrigerator.)

4. When you're ready to make sandwiches, bring the gravy to a simmer and whisk in the flour (but only if the gravy appears to need thickening). Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire to taste. (It's a common practice in New Orleans to add Kitchen Bouquet to darken the sauce, but I never do.)

5. Slice the roast beef as thin as possible and put as much as you want on fresh French bread with lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise, and dill pickles. Spoon on all the gravy the sandwich can hold. After assembling the sandwich, put the whole thing into a 400-degree oven for about a minute to toast the bread.

Makes twelve to eighteen poor boys.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 05:54:26 PM »

Cajunator,

Sounds very good, off to the recipe section.
h00kemh0rns
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »

Makes twelve to eighteen poor boys.

Hmmm seemed to only have made enough for 1....Me Smiley

This reminds me a place my NO friend took me for a po'boy...forget the name of it but it was Par something or other.  Anyways, made this last night with a slight variation to the gravy.  Made a medium-dark roux to tighten up and darken the sauce but otherwise followed it to a T.  Came out great and my only complaint is that I wished I had a deli slicer so I could have sliced the beef thinner. 

Thanks Cajun for a great and simple to make recipe!

Daniel

BBQ is all the same basic idea.  Throw some meat onto the fire, cover, get drunk, pass out, wake up and 14 hours later, eat.  This is not a highly refined art form.

Keg FAQhttp://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php?topic=2013.0
Who Dat

Madison, AL

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »

Hmmm seemed to only have made enough for 1....Me Smiley

This reminds me a place my NO friend took me for a po'boy...forget the name of it but it was Par something or other.  Anyways, made this last night with a slight variation to the gravy.  Made a medium-dark roux to tighten up and darken the sauce but otherwise followed it to a T.  Came out great and my only complaint is that I wished I had a deli slicer so I could have sliced the beef thinner. 

Thanks Cajun for a great and simple to make recipe!
Probably Parran's Poboys, I think they have several locations throughout the metro area.Good stuff

BKCG S/N 3052
h00kemh0rns
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:37:51 PM »

Probably Parran's Poboys, I think they have several locations throughout the metro area.Good stuff

I went looking for the place that we went to...it was Parasol's.  Looks like a dive but good roast beef po boys.

Daniel

BBQ is all the same basic idea.  Throw some meat onto the fire, cover, get drunk, pass out, wake up and 14 hours later, eat.  This is not a highly refined art form.

Keg FAQhttp://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php?topic=2013.0
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »

Yea, it was a dive. Someone bought the building and the name went with it. So, the owner of Parasol's moved like one and a half blocks away to a bigger bldg.on a main thoroughfare(Magazine St.)and opened under the name Tracy's and serves the same food. Much nicer place.
Now if you want THE BEST roast beef poor boy, you have to go to Parkway Bakery. They are the best of more that just the roast beef. I have a little place I like out here in Metairie(right outside of N.O.)that makes a close competitor to Parkway. Here's what I had for lunch today from Kid Creole. 

BTW I and many others know that Parran's is over rated. I really don't care for them at all and I consider myself to be a roast beef poor boy afficianado.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »

True Dat!

Is it burnt??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: