Broil King Keg Forum
October 21, 2019, 02:45:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorial day meat!  (Read 5308 times)
Lando
BKCG Hero of the Month

Roswell GA

« on: May 24, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »

Ok so it was the day before mem day but my Bubba got a solid 24hrs of go time starting Saturday at 6 and ending Sunday at 6.
the hit list:
2 10lb butts at 225 for 10 hrs:

1 bacon explosion weighing in at ~5 lbs, 250 for 3 hrs

what was not shown?
10 burgers, 15 dogs, 1 andouille sausage and 1 onion
what was left?
Just dirty dishes.....

I smoked the butts w/ pecan chips and the semi new kingsford lump charcoal.

I switched to apple wood for the explosion, burgers, dogs and suasage.

All and all it was a great BBQ success, I got tons of compliments and had a great time doing it.  This cookout really made me feel I am well on my way to mastering this grill!

Ricky Bobby
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:19:20 AM »

Dude, I'm ready to declare you BKCG Hero for Memorial Day 2009.  Awesome spread!

Good work on the pork shoulder, too.  What temp did the meat reach in 10 hrs?
Lando
BKCG Hero of the Month

Roswell GA

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »

Well I have a remote controlled meat thermometer that I had originally set to 195, it went off at 4am!  Needless to say I bumped it up to 200, the equivalent of hitting snooze 1 or 2 times
I eventually dragged myself downstairs to yank them off the smoker.  I was happy to see that the keg was still at a nice low 250 degrees despite running ~5 hrs unattended.   

So to answer your question I let it get to 200 degrees, wrapped it in foil and stuffed it in a cooler, then went back to sleep.  I really should have done some before/during/after pics but this was my 1st time documenting a bbq so Ill cut myself a little slack.

It was falling off the bone, in fact I was able to pull the bone out w/ 2 fingers and it was 100% clean.   

I pulled the bacon explosion off at 180 although it called for 160, it just didnt look crunchy enough so I let it go.   

I am having a lot of fun w/ this grill and I am going to try and be vocal about it on here because when I was researching Kamados it was hard to find actual users of the BKCG due to how new it is, I hope this helps people like me!
jfabernathy

Grilling and chilling since 1951

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:02:05 AM »

This is good news about the 10 hours at 250. Is that measured by the thermometer built into the BKCG? Can you say a little more about the way you setup the fire and the amount of coals you used. I'm starting to like the way the Kingsford Competition briquettes work because they are all the same size and the heat is therefore equal across the bottom of the BKCG.

Jim A

BKCG Serial #125 - RDU area, NC
Lando
BKCG Hero of the Month

Roswell GA

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »

I could be wrong, I have never actually seen the competition briquettes, but the fact that they have the word "briquette" in the name tells me you don't want to use them.  I think you are only supposed to use lump charcoal, aka charred whole wood.  A briquette is typically used for grilling and the goal here is to cook for a long time at low heat, you probably wont make it 10 hours with those (plus I think briquettes contain small amounts of carcinogens I think).   

Yes I measured the 250 by the thermometer on the BKCG.  it was 225 for most of the cooking time and creeped up to 250 by the morning.  I got a little nervous and took the meat off around midnight and took a good look at the fire before I went to sleep, I wanted to make sure it would burn through the night.  I had it burn out on me last time I cooked overnight, so this time I pushed all the 1/2 burnt coals to the middle and poured a little extra charcoal on it for good measure.

As for the amount I put in, I cover all the air holes, not just the ones on the grate.  I try and get it pretty flat then start some charcoal OUTSIDE of the grill in a charcoal chimney.  I fill mine up 1/2 way and pour it right on top of the pile in my keg when its fully burning.  I already have the dampeners set back to the 1 position when I do that, it stops it from getting too hot too fast.  Then I just close it up and let it stabilize.  I also start with a clean grill, I put all the leftover burnt pieces from previous use into my chimney.

Hope that answers your questions, next time I fire it up for smoking Ill try and document my technique.         
hockeyfox

Eden Prairie, Minnesota

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:21:57 PM »

Nice job on the Bubba.  I had to use my old brinkman smoker on Mem day and did make some pretty darn good ribs.  Still waiting for someone in Minnesota to carry the Bubba Keg.  WHAT DOES BUBBA HAVE AGAINST US NORTHERNERS IN MINNESOTA?Huh  Anyways, looking forward to more of your good eats.  Have you tried a high temp pizza yet?  Waiting to hear how that turns out on Bubba.
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:33:43 PM »

Using briquettes won't hurt your keg.

Here's the short list of reasons why I think you should use lump:

1) Lump tastes better.  There aren't any additives in it to taint the food.  That's why you can cook cookies over it without making everything taste like chemicals.

2) Lump burns much hotter than briquettes.

3) Lump lights easier.  I've found I can get the fire going in 1/2 the time.

4) You can re-use lump by shutting down the vents.  I've found that briquettes are a single-use product.

5) Briquettes produce a ton of ash, which may reduce the performance of your grill.  Another team member has also observed that briquette ash may become airborne as the air circulates around the inside of your grill, getting on the food.  Lump ash is heavier, so it doesn't have this problem.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:48:54 AM by Ricky Bobby » Logged
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »

Lando thanks for the post!  Your dead on the money!!

I just bought my Bubba for Memorial Day weekend.  My biggest fear was "could I keep the temp down"? I read Ricky Bobby's notes on how he kept his temp low by lighting the lump out side the grill and starting with the vents almost closed.  With that one success story I decided to go for it.  I used the same techniques you described and had no trouble keeping the grill at 225.  I did tinker with the vents often and Im not ready to trust it enough to walk away more than an hour or so.

One difference is I used a old 14 cast iron wok instead of a pizza stone. The wok has handles that reach the sides of the grill so it can support itself.  This gave me two things.  1 I could put it under the cast iron rack so the rack was usable and 2 it could hold over  gal of liquid (I mostly used apple juice). 

We successfully turned out 2 slabs of baby backs, 2 slabs of spare ribs, 2 bear can chickens and 3 briskets all at 225.  I never thought to document.  Maybe Ill take pics this weekend.  Oh, I tried to cook the briskets at 210, but had trouble keeping it that low.  Fire tried to go out unless I watched it the whole time and I got lazy so 225  It was still good!

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
Lando
BKCG Hero of the Month

Roswell GA

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 03:34:03 PM »

Lando thanks for the post!  Your dead on the money!!

I just bought my Bubba for Memorial Day weekend.  My biggest fear was "could I keep the temp down"? I read Ricky Bobby's notes on how he kept his temp low by lighting the lump out side the grill and starting with the vents almost closed.  With that one success story I decided to go for it.  I used the same techniques you described and had no trouble keeping the grill at 225.  I did tinker with the vents often and Im not ready to trust it enough to walk away more than an hour or so.

One difference is I used a old 14 cast iron wok instead of a pizza stone. The wok has handles that reach the sides of the grill so it can support itself.  This gave me two things.  1 I could put it under the cast iron rack so the rack was usable and 2 it could hold over  gal of liquid (I mostly used apple juice). 

You are welcome!  Yea I gotta give props to Ricky, I got the tip to start it out of the grill from him as well.  Please try and document the way you have your wok rig set up, I would love to see it.  My preference would be to have a hanging diffuser like you are using but I haven't tried rigging something up.  I am guessing the handles reach the rim of the bowl where the cast iron grate sets in the lower position???  Hopefully when they get the line of Bubba accessories out there we will have an option similar to the BGE, theirs hangs from the grill w/ a few hooks.

Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 07:05:52 AM »

Ya, the wok hangs exactly as you've described and works well.  I just got lucky with the fit.  I'll take pic's of it this weekend and post them.  I leave my Bubba at the lake with my boat, so I only get to see them on weekends Sad  The tail gate hitch is cool and I think it's a great option, but unless you have 2 people it's a challenge.  I may have to buy a second Bubba for the house...

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: