Broil King Keg Forum
January 21, 2018, 07:39:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beef Spiedini  (Read 13159 times)
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« on: December 04, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »

There was a recent thread discussing those recipes that you might want to hand down in your family. That post brought to mind this recipe which I haven't made in awhile and of course, never on the Keg. This is one of those holiday recipes my dad used to make and as a kid, I'd help. He never wrote this down and when I started cooking on my own and he had passed on, it was try to remember it as best as I could. This is my best recollection of that recipe and it's turned out pretty darn good. I used to broil these in the oven, but you know I can't resist adapting something for the Keg. So here goes.

Recipe follows, then a ton of pictures.

Beef Spiedini

Ingredients -

Beef Eye Round Roast, 3 lbs or greater
Italian Bread Crumbs, 2-3 cups
Romano Cheese
Bay Leaves
2-3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Keg heated to around 400-425. For this cook, I used the BGE platesetter and grilled indirect.

The roast needs to be sliced very thin. It's easiest to do this on an electric slicer. The pieces should be uniform in size and paper thin. If necessary, you can pound the meat thinner with a meat mallet.

Place the bread crumbs in a rectangular dish, add the garlic and grate 2-3 Tsp of Romano cheese into the mix. Sprinkle with EVOO and mix. Add enough EVOO until the mixture is slightly damp and the breadcrumbs stay together.

Take a slice of beef, place some of the breadcrumb mixture on top, fold in the sides and roll. Place on a toothpick, put a small piece of bay leaf on the rolled meat and do the same with another beef roll. The toothpick will be between the two rolls. Try to choose slices that are comparable in size so the pair will cook and be done at the same time.

When all the rolls are on toothpicks, place the pairs back into the breadcrumb mixture and coat the outside with breadcrumbs.

Place the spiedini on the grill. For this cook, I used 8-8-4-4-2-2, turning them at each of those times. To brown the outside of the spiedini, I placed them around the edge of the grill for a short time, outside the   perimeter of the platesetter.

Serve warm, though they're also excellent cold. And don't forget to remove the bay leaf in the center.

Today's cook -

Ingredients -

No electric slicer, so my trusty carving knife to the rescue -
(You could ask your butcher to slice the raw roast, but here in Massachusetts that's frowned upon due to health concerns)

Mr Meat, meet Mr. Mallet -
(place between sheets of wax paper)

Place the breadcrumb mixture on the beef -

Fold the sides in and roll it to keep the mixture inside -

And place a pair of them on a toothpick -
(in between place a piece of bay leaf)

And roll the pair back in the breadcrumb mixture (no pic shown)

Out on the Keg -
(I initially wasn't planning on using the platesetter, but my temps got up too high and I though it best to put it in. I started them in the center and for part of the cook moved them out beyond the platesetter perimeter to brown them a bit.

Done -
(Internal temp with the Thermapen was around 135+)

Plated, etc. -

These were every bit as good as I remember them and I think I've matched my Dad's recipe as best as possible. And of course, these were done on the Keg.

They're simple in concept, but quite labor intensive to prepare. The reason for practicing today was this will probably be on our Christmas Eve menu.

Thanks for checking out a recipe that's an Italian classic in my book.

-lunchman

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic, Thermos gas
Grandpa JD
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Charleston, SC

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »

Looks good lunchman!

"To the stars on the wings of a pig."
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »

lunchman this sounds good I am moving it to recipes.
Vindii
2X Hero of the Month ~ 2X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »

Those look good.  Nice job.

See post 18
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=oovcf0ho0f6b61ce5v721lodo7&topic=4485.15

They are closed minded idiots (did I just say that?? YEP!) and they can't see the usefulness of other types of cookers.
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 04:54:51 AM »

Superb

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 04:59:25 AM »

excellant!

Is it burnt??
ranbeaux
Keg Hero of the Month | Fish Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Keggin down south in Pasadena, Texas

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 06:50:49 AM »

I like those, Tongue  Will be trying them soon..  I have a comercial slicer and wanna play with it anyway.. Grin

"RIGHT WING NUTT JOB"
"BITTER CLINGER TO MY"
  " GUNS AND MY KEG "
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 08:28:12 AM »

May have to try those out here too. Good cook!

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
Just Smoke

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »

What size place setter did you use for large egg or small egg and do you worry that it scratches the bowl of the bsk.
Gator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »

Large size plate setter fits the keg perfectly.  Haven't worried about scratching it ,,,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: