Broil King Keg Forum
August 21, 2018, 11:22:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rub and Sauce Recipes for Pork (Ribs, Pulled Pork, etc)  (Read 6416 times)
Hubub

near Philly

« on: October 26, 2010, 08:28:13 AM »

Posting these since so many recipes were lost in the Great Crash of 2010.

Two recipes I’ve used for Pork and everyone who’s had them has raved about them  – I’ve made them for a couple of parties.  Each time I make them, I make ‘em a little different but here’s the recipes as I found them on amazingribs.com and weber virtual bullet, respectively.

Memphis Dust Recipe
Yield. Makes about 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.
Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

BBQ No 5 Sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Simmer on stove for 10 minutes or so – keep tasting and adding if desired
Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings  (whats left in the foil after the rest)

note – this sauce when done is fantastic.  As posted it’s a little harsh for me so I added a lot of honey, grape jelly and more brown sugar.  Maybe try replacing some of the vinegar with apple juice?  I added Memphis Rub. 

I like the fact that it incorporates the rub I use so that the flavors blend rather than conflict.

I need to make more after posting this, soon!!

BakonGrill
Superhero Member

A couple miles from Horse Shoe, NC

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »

THAT'S the one I was looking for a couple weekends ago  Sad (luckily, my brother came through and made something up that worked)!

Thanks, 'bub!!  Grin

BakonG
ranbeaux
Keg Hero of the Month | Fish Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Keggin down south in Pasadena, Texas

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 11:26:43 AM »

I'm liking that dust recipe.. Tongue

"RIGHT WING NUTT JOB"
"BITTER CLINGER TO MY"
  " GUNS AND MY KEG "
Hubub

near Philly

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:39:06 AM »

You're welcome, and thanks.  I'm real happy with both recipes. 

I make about 3x the sauce recipe each time and store them in ketchup bottles in the fridge for a while.

If you google the source for the recipes, you'll see other variations folks have used in making them.  I know the sauce has placed high in some competitions; can't remember about the dust but it sure is good!  I left a note to myself to try Turbinado (raw) sugar next time I make the rub to see what it's like.  I'm sure it's all good!

morgantm
Superhero Member

Durham, NC

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »

I've had both of these saved in my notes waiting to get used for a while now.  Need to do it!
Hubub

near Philly

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 09:58:55 PM »

You’ll probably like them, although we all make changes to suit our taste.  I make the Dust recipe as written but the sauce I sweeten.  I’ll provide the links so that you can read up further on the recipes.

Memphis Dust Recipe
Here's an award winning recipe for a classic Memphis style barbecue dry rub that's great on pork, chicken, fish, beef, and veggies.
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

BBQ No 5 Sauce
There’s 11 pages of praise and variations – and a couple folks placed high in competitions with it
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1980069052/m/2870053653/p/1

One of the guys here used molasses (per a post that was lost in the Great Crash of 2010) and really liked it.
Toscadero

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:41:03 AM »

I used the Memphis Dust rub on pulled pork about two months ago.  Really liked the results.  Doing pulled pork this weekend and will give the No. 5 a try.  Thanks for the recipe.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: