Broil King Keg Forum
October 18, 2018, 04:04:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you'd like to introduce yourselves...  (Read 68342 times)
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 07:56:48 PM »

Welcome to all the new guys.  We look forward to hearing about your experiences with the BKCG!  Take pictures!
robmurray0291

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 03:02:23 PM »

[Hi, My name is Rob, Robmurray0291, and I'm a new owner of a Bubbakeg grill.  I've had a Weber Performer and a cheap gas grill for years but never got the results I've already gotten from the BubbaKeg.  Once you figure out how to get control of the temperature (which wasn't difficult) it's really an amazing grill.  I already did some spare ribs and ribeye steaks that were the best I've ever grilled.
gus

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 06:28:06 AM »

My name is Gus, just got #612 for my birthday and looking to fire that sucker up ASAP! How do I break it in? Thanks in advance for your help.
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 07:13:04 AM »

Hey Gus welcome to the group!

The owners manual does a good job of covering the basics for getting started.  If you got a display model without the manual (like me) you can read or download it from here.
http://www.bubbakeg.com/BubbaKeg%20Operation%20Handbook.pdf

This is strait from the manual.
Initial Burn-In
SEASON THE CAST IRON GRATE
Before you start to cook anything on your new BUBBA KEG, you first have to season it to burn off the coating used to protect your BUBBA KEG during shipment. It will also help protect the cast iron parts from rusting during normal use. First, remove the grill grates and wash thoroughly in warm, soapy water. Rinse completely and dry with a soft towel. Dont allow to air dry and dont ever put in a dishwasher. When the cast iron grill grate is completely dry, apply a coating of solid vegetable shortening to both sides of it for protection. Also apply vegetable shortening to the top damper, inside and out, too. For the final seasoning step  fire up your BUBBA KEG to about 400F for about an hour. Thatll burn-off any of the protective coating that might still be in the pores of the metal. It may be a good idea to repeat the seasoning process to your grill grate every so often.

Luck,
Bob

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
uncle
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Let it rain or snow

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 08:39:16 AM »

hi everyone

my name is irv. had my bubba keg since may and use it almost everyday. im retired so i have a lot of time to cook. i also have a med. green egg but i use the bubba keg more i have cooked everything on it from baking cakes and pies. to grilling and smoking pork steaks, ribs and pork roast. today im going to cook a meat loaf and beer bread. i would have to say im very impressed with it. i use nothing but lump charcoal. if i plan on baking on it i start with fresh charcoal and make sure it is lit real good on no smoke coming out top. also i find new charcoal sparks alot when lighting so what i do is light it with 91%alcohol. i have a 8 oz jar pickle relish i washed out and put 4 cotton balls in it with alcohol and put the cotton balls in charcoal i usally put mine at 12  3  6  9  works real good.  now back to my beer bread and meatloaf
uncle
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Let it rain or snow

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 04:24:09 AM »

hi

my name is irv bought bubba keg in may i cooked so many things on it. i would say i cook on it 6 times a week. being retired i have nothing but time. love this thing.
Dogtown
Team Keg

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »

Hi all,

My name is Jason.  I'm a member of the Dogtown Grillers bbq team, and we just purchased our first Bubba Keg Grill on Friday.  The seasoning took place on Saturday, and tried our first low and slow on Sunday with a couple of pork butts.  According to the family, this was my best pulled pork yet! 

I can't wait to try some baby backs and some brisket to see how those turn out.

AZBarbeque
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »

Hey all, Michael here from AZBarbeque (www.AZBarbeque.com)  We are the BBQ Club out here in Arizona.  Great to see you all here.  Gotta Love the Bubba Keg grills & accessories.

We do Professional Tailgate Parties out here in Arizona for all the ASU and Arizona Cardinals games and have a blast doing them.

AZBarbeque is also a great place to go for Recipes, BBQ Grill Discussions, Jokes, Sports and lots more, we have a great group of people, almost 1000 registered now and have a lot of really fun events.  We also run the BBQ Circuit here in Arizona, so if you think you have the best BBQ, come on out to AZ and compete with us.

I hope to meet some of you soon, either here or out at some events.

Thanks,

Mike
chiliman
BKCG Hero of the Month

Fat Matt and the Chili Man:1st Place ribs

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »

Howdy! Vic the Chili Man, hot dog vendor of excellence here in beautiful Charlotte NC.  I have been a professional cook for the past 6 years and a restaurant guy for the past 20 or so.  I became obsessed with BBQ a few years back when a buddy of mine got a big green egg (he has more money than me!).  I recently found the BKCG at Sams and was still hesitant because of the price (though obviously better than the BGE, still a bit steep for some of us working stiffs!) Then the "Lets get rid of our summer stuff program started and I was able to get my Keg!!!! I couldn't be happier.  My wife doesn't even ask what I'm grilling anymore.  She asks what I'm Keggin! I'm lookin forward to reading more of what everyone else is doing as well as showing off my work!

BTW the annual Blues, Brews and BBQ in Charlotte is the weekend of Sept 11 and 12.   I will be cooking with my pal, my Keg and a big green egg (very Suess-ish that last line!)

Insanely good hot dog guy, competitive chili and BBQ cook, family man, and, OBVIOUSLY, a model!
Goodrich1958

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 06:41:44 AM »

Hey Yall I have been grilling and slow cooking for twenty-five or so years or at least I thought I was until I got my Bubba Keg.  I like some folks was looking at the BGE when I found out about the Bubba Keg and so glad I did.  I have had it now since the end of June and I have cooked on almost everyday and I love it.   It is by far the best and easiest grill  smoker I have every owned and the food comes out perfect or near perfect every time.  Of course Im still experimenting and learning, thats have the fun.
zydecopaws

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 03:11:24 PM »

Howdy all, Zydecopaws (No Excuses BBQ) here from the Pacific NorthWet.

After a couple of months of researching ceramics and the BKCG, I finally decided to spend some Amazon points and purchase a BKCG.  The seasoning is complete, and the wife has determined that pizza will be the inaugural meal tonight.

I've been cooking for years on Weber kettles and smokers, but wanted something that I could get some higher temps on and would be more efficient with fuel.  I'll be trying a lot of different things on the BKCG and posting pictures on my blog, so be sure and stop by my website once in awhile to see what is cooking.

No Excuses BBQ
Who cares about the weather?
Tallyman89

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »

Hi all.  Just bought the Bubba Grill.  Got it last Friday and after seasoning I grilled some Buffalo steaks and boy were they excellent.  I still have to get comfortable with temp control with the vents.  I am looking for great recipes.  I found some on the web site of that other grill that costs twice as much as the Bubba.   Wink  If you can recommend any let me know.  Thanks
cmcadams

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 06:26:53 AM »

I'm Curt, from Ohio...  My blog is Livefire at http://livefireonline.com.  I have what I was told was one of the first 100 BKCG.  I use it now as my primary grill, unless I need more room and use an XL BGE if needed. 

I have a BGE platesetter for the BKCG, and am getting a BGE baking stone, too.  I have lots of photos on my blog using the BKCG.  I'd post some here, but I'm at work, and flickr is blocked! Smiley

USFMD82
BKCG Hero of the Month

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »

I have what I was told was one of the first 100 BKCG.  

welcome to the board Curt, to verify your in the presence of one of the first 100 made, if you look at the serial number should be a silver placard or something to that effect on the back of the keg on the black area, many of us hold our numbers as a somewhat badge of pride being we are some of the first people to attain one. Also you may request from one of the moderators some "Bubba Wedges" if you do a search it should come up, my keg did not have these and the company sent them right away, and it took out any wobble I had on the grill (until I started using it on an uneven surface Smiley
cmcadams

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »

Thanks... Drew already sent me wedges back in February.  I just realized it's been a LONG time since I've had mine now!  The wedges helped a great deal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: