Broil King Keg Forum
January 17, 2018, 08:51:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you'd like to introduce yourselves...  (Read 66177 times)
Ricky Bobby
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »

As we build this new community around the Bubba Keg grill, I thought it'd be a good idea to give forum members an opportunity to introduce themselves.  This is a legacy thread.  If you are new here, please start a new thread.

My name is William, and I'm a product development engineer with In-Zone (makers of the BKCG).

I've always been a fan of good BBQ and grilled food, but I wouldn't say I was a fanatic until I traveled to Texas in search of the "country's best BBQ joint".  You can read about it here on my food blog:

http://www.ntscblog.com/2006/10/ive-been-everywhere-man-ive-been-every.html

As for a favorite style, obviously I'm now a big fan of Texas-style beef.  But growing up in the south I've been bred and conditioned to love pulled pork and ribs. 

I've also grilled nearly everything you can think of over direct heat.  I've made my own sausage, dozens of beer can chickens and countless bratwursts, burgers, fish, etc.  It's not much of a stretch to say I eat, sleep and breathe this stuff!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:30:15 PM by Ricky Bobby » Logged
Braddog

St. Louis, MO

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »

Braddog here, Been a BBQ'er for a long time and a fan of good BBQ for even longer.

I started blogging about BBQ and created a site with a friend of mine who's a homebrew fan.  I've been evaluating the Bubba Keg and blogging about my experience for the past few weeks.  The cooker shows real promise, but like most folks I'm interested in how to make it cooker better as a smoker.

Cheers,
Braddog

http://grillandbarrel.com

Cause few things go together as well as Beer & BBQ
http://grillandbarrel.com
jfabernathy

Grilling and chilling since 1951

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 05:54:16 AM »

Hi, Jim A also joining. I just got my Bubba Keg Grill. Now I'm trying to figure it out after years of using a Holland Grill, Weber Gas, and an electric smoker.

I'll need this board's help is getting low and slow smoking working. I like to smoke Boston Butts at 200-225 deg F. My original goal was to reduce the number of grills on the patio from 3 to 1. It's clear that the Weber gas can go as it's too easy to burn fatty meat like burgers. My first BKCG burger reminded me of how really good a charcoal burger is.

The Holland only worked on a narrow range of foods due to its constant temperature. Until I can master the 10-12 hour 225 smoke on the BKCG, the Brinkman Electric Smoker stays.

Talk to everyone later.

Jim A

BKCG Serial #125 - RDU area, NC
Lando
BKCG Hero of the Month

Roswell GA

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »

Lando here,
I own Bubba Keg grill # 336.  As I type this I am 6 hrs into 2 10lb butts  Cheesy

I have found the real trick to the slow and low (225-250 temp for me) is to load my grill w/ charcoal then start another bunch in my charcoal chimney.  I usually only do the chimney about 1/2 full, if that. When its going good I dump it on top w/ the dampeners wide open.  Once I see the thermometer hit 150 I choke them both back to the 1 position, sometimes a tad less, like the 1.25 position I guess...  I leave it for about 20 min and its perfect, it seems to sustain the temp well.

I also like to spread wood chips across the pile prior to dumping the lit coal on.  This way as the coal burns it hits patches and smokes periodically.

I got a good crowd coming over tomorrow so I will be doing a bacon explosion in the late morning and burgers/dogs to order when everyone is here.  Pics to come soon!         
USFMD82
BKCG Hero of the Month

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:21:56 PM »

Mark Here, I have been hooked since I  heard about this. I made dinner for my parents on Memorial day and they asked me to go outside to "help unload the groceries". I come out and there is a big cardboard box with the words "Bubba Keg" on it. My excitement level has still not subsided. 

Have yet to open the box as I have to finish waterproofing my tent form the Memorial day campout. But one question what did you all use to season it? I was planning on Crisco.

Also, my qualifications, im not a seasoned user by any means, but I have quite a few Smokes under my belt from my ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann) (Ill be sad to see it go) and I have been doing direct on a Gasser. I hear there is a heat diffuser in development currently, any more word on this? I will be looking forward to the first time firing it up.

I also primarily used Briquettes, I don't see how it would harm the keg.. anyone know why they say to use lump (Is this a suggestion or a requirement?) as its been my experience that the briquettes burn lower and longer then Lump.
Ricky Bobby
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 04:29:08 PM »

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:32:35 PM by Ricky Bobby » Logged
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 02:07:56 PM »

Hey all Bob here!

Been in boating and water sports for a long time and BBQ for a little while.  I've found the 2 go together well:)  I was all set to break down and get a Primo or BGE when I heard about the Bubba Keg!  Started cooking on it Memorial Weekend like so many others.

I think Lando has explained temp control better than anyone so far on any website.  I seasoned my grill with a spray on canola oil b/c I'm lazy, but it works good!  I also season a 14" cast iron wok that I use for a heat diffuser.  "Rick Bobby" if you're still working on that diffuser I'd like to say that I really like the fact the my wok holds fluids while acting as a diffuser.  Hope the one from Bubba does too.  I really hate that it's cast iron and I have to season it all the time to keep it from rusting..

I'd like to buy a 2nd cast iron grill from bubba to, but I bought a floor model without documentation.  Does anyone have that info?  I live in Smyrna Ga.  I read that they are made near here...

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
virtualshock

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 07:19:19 PM »

Hello All,

My name is Brandon.  I have enjoyed reading all of your insights into using this grill.  I am still on the fence about getting one since I usually am not an early adopter of a product.  I really like the idea of using it for slow cooking that is how I stumbled upon it.  I have a Weber gas grill and I think I have taken gas grilling as far as I can.  I love slow cooked smokey BBQ but have no experience making it.  The more I see success from you guys the closer I get to buying one.
Deuce Pigalow
Team Keg

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »

Ricky Bobby,
I am the cheif cook for a competition BBQ team ( Deuce Pigalow BBQ Gigolo). I happened to walk in to a Home Depot in April and saw the Bubba Keg and had to have one. I bought the Keg with the midset of using it in competitions for chicken which needs to be cooked at a higher temp than the ribs, pork, and brisket I would be cooking at the same time. Up until then chicken had been our lowest scoring category and I needed to bring those scores up. The first time out with the Keg,(after several practice runs at home) we placed 5th in chicken and took home some prize money.
During the next several events we have done very well using the BKCG. It is a great product and we have had much interest in it from other competitors as well as the public. I have sung the praises of the Keg to everyone and as a matter of fact have probably indirectly sold a lot of your products.
I have now been toying with the idea of no longer using the trailered smoker rig I have and strictly using the BKCG for all of my competitions. Now all I need is 4 more of them.
If you would like to have a BBQ team promote your product count me in. I am planning on cooking several more FBA ( Florida BBQ Assn.) events this year in the Fl. Ga. and Al. area and infact we are very close to qualifying for the triple crown championship to decide the top team of the tri-state area. I'd really like to hand it to the teams using the Egg.
Would love to hear from you and would greatly appreciate being considered as a represtative of the Bubba Keg.
Thanks for putting out an outstanding quality product.

Deuce
KentFlintz

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 10:33:34 PM »

Hi all, Stewart here.

I'm still pretty new to serious BBQ (making it, not eating it). I'd been lusting after one of the ceramics until I first saw a picture of the BKCG. Its obvious advantages won me over immediately.

It'll probably be a year or two before I can talk my wife into letting me get one. And since I live in the Pacific NW, I can't even go look at a real one at Home Depot. So I'll probably be living vicariously through the rest of you for a while.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
USFMD82
BKCG Hero of the Month

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 08:56:23 AM »

It'll probably be a year or two before I can talk my wife into letting me get one.

Easier to ask forgiveness than permission Smiley
KentFlintz

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 09:07:55 AM »

Easier to ask forgiveness than permission Smiley

But it's hard to ask forgiveness when you're dead.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
SiC Engineer

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 05:45:19 PM »

Hello All,

My name is Scott A, and when I'm not working with high temperature SiC furnaces, I like to slow things down with my Keg.  The BKCG replaced an old tailgating gas grill I had been using for years, so this has been a fairly large step up to a high quality grill! 

It's nice to be able to have a flexible platform that can do all kinds of grilling.  Since I'm fairly new to this style of grilling, I look forward to learning from all of you experts who frequent this site.  So thank you all for your help in advance, and I'll be sure to share any good recipes I come across during the learning process.

Riverside

The wife and I getting ready to Bubba-Que

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 07:33:38 AM »

Hello All!

I feel like a proud new father with my Bubba keg grill.
 My co-workers thought I was a little obsessive about my new toy. Come on everyone brings there new babies to work to show everyone, don't they? OK! maybe the posters on my walls were a little much and handing out cigars seems a little carried away but what the heck. I have had to endure every fundraiser know to mankind for years at work now it was my turn to annoy them. Once everyone wandered out of their cubical farms to the parking lot to take a look things changed. The guys wanted to know if we could tap it and the women wanted to know what I was going to cook for them LOL. I am pretty sure I will not be the only one in the company that owns one. I work for a seasoning and spice company so the crowd had lots of suggestions about what to cook and how, did they think this was my first day at grilling rodeo? The Bubba keg is my 5th smoker and probably the last one I will need for a while.. till the next model comes out anyway.
All kidding aside Everyone loved the way it looked, I love that and the way it cooks too.
I have only had it for a week now and I grilled or smoked something on it almost every day. It took some time to get the temp control to where I can manage it fairly well and maybe a burned burger or 2 but hey I am still learning.
Hope to get lots of input from the board and will help answer questions where I can.
See you on the boards,

To Grill or Not to Grill??
That's not a Question!!
grilla
Team Keg

Winder, Ga

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »

Hi I'm grilla been BBQ'n about 2 years used everything from Weber charcoal, to gas, to electric smoker. Learned about BBKG while researching about the egg. I got my BBKG June 28 '09. I have to say it was money well spent. I have cooked  several meals on it since. I am still getting used to the quick cooking times. I love the smoking with out having to reload ability.                                                                               

Awesome cooker!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: