grilling steaks...lid open or lid closed?  
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Username  
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grilling steaks...lid open or lid closed?  (Read 10318 times)
zsir

kegging in Chula Vista,CA San Diego County

« on: August 10, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »

I got some  USDA prime sirloins to grill tonite.  It never occured to me to cook them with the top open because it seems I would lose a lot of heat that way.  But it seems that some bubba cooks do grill steaks with the lid open.  Wondering what your thoughts are... thanks
EconomicDisconnect
Superhero Member

North of Boston, MA

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 04:26:04 PM »

I have never tried it, be interested in any answers by those that have.

For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire
SB 44 Champs

Bubba Queing in Thibodaux, LA

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 04:37:11 PM »

i normally grill steaks with the lid open. I get the temps to 550-600. put the steaks on the ci grate. let them sit for 3-4 minutes and then flip. at this point you can close the lid and cook until desired doneness. Leaving the lid open does lose heat, mainly the convection part of cooking but in my opinion closing the lid is not necessary for grilling steaks.  I just close the lid after I flip to get some of the smoke flavor.

May have to throw a few steaks on the KEG while watching the first preseason game Thursday. Go Saints. Sorry Econ.

Bubba Keg
Stumps "Baby" (received 12/23/10)
44 BBQ Competition Team (Future)
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »

I never cook with the lid open. Not with the Keg, not with the BGE, not with the Primo. I think it takes away from the total experience. Just pay attention to the time and then open and flip or turn.

Is it burnt??
SB 44 Champs

Bubba Queing in Thibodaux, LA

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:58:34 PM »

IMO, i don't find any difference between open lid/closed lid. They both come out juicy and tastee. I like listening to the sizzling while drinking a cold one. Everyone does things differently. No right or wrong way. try both ways and stay with what ever way works for you.
I will add that cooking with the lid down will eliminate flare ups if you are not using a drip pan or diffuser.

Bubba Keg
Stumps "Baby" (received 12/23/10)
44 BBQ Competition Team (Future)
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 03:54:49 AM »

I never cook with the lid open. Not with the Keg, not with the BGE, not with the Primo. I think it takes away from the total experience. Just pay attention to the time and then open and flip or turn.
Ditto!  That's how I do it.

Boat

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
WarEagle1

WAR DAMN KEG !

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 04:58:50 AM »

I would have to agree with keeping the lid closed.  I have cooked mainly steaks on mine and always with lid closed.  This also seems to really help with flare ups too. 
mjfortner

Dawg country

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 05:13:10 AM »

CLOSED

Semper Fidelis
TAURUS BBQ
2x Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

Niagara Falls, Ontario

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 05:37:28 AM »

closed to let all of the magic happen and give me time to re-hydrate until the next flip

TAURUS BBQ - Championship Cooking
Eat well my friends, eat well!
Skinsandos
Hero of the Month - 7 X Throwdown Champion
Global Moderator
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 05:48:18 AM »

I always cook high sear with the lid open to keep the raging fire raging

CI grate at the lower setting

if I have to cook a guest's steak to an unacceptable med well or well I will shut the lid after searing then open back up to cook the corectly cooked steaks rare and med rare

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
RazorbackBBQJim
Superhero Member

Maryville, Tn. (just south of Knoxville)

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 06:20:20 AM »

As it has been stated above...try it both ways and decide what makes you happy.  They are good either way in my opinion.

Jim

IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE!!!!!
brettatk

Smyrna, GA

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 06:31:01 AM »

I've always closed the lid, but I think next time I do steaks I'm going to try leaving it open.  They are on there for so little time I really don't think it would make a difference. 
Pickle Bob

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »

I do mine closed. Grilled 4 NY strips Sunday. Can out perfect. BSK to 750 and slapped them on with just s & p. 3 minutes each side just right for medium. 5 for the well. Maybe was more of a medium well  but they ate it, and didn't complain which for them that means it was good. I would have to think at 700 degrees convention would have to play at least a little part.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

MySQL |  PHP |  Valid XHTML |  Valid CSS