Broil King Keg Forum
May 25, 2018, 12:26:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frittata con Patata (Potato and Egg Omelet)  (Read 6153 times)
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« on: August 07, 2010, 12:55:10 PM »

Growing up in an Italian family, potatoes and eggs was a dish my Father used to make quite often. He'd dice the potatoes, fry them, add the eggs, let it set a bit, put a plate on top and flip the pan to cook the other side. We'd eat them warm or cold and often would bring them to school between two slices of white bread for lunch.

I haven't made this in at least 30 years and decided to look on the web to find recipes. And lo and behold I find out that it's a Spanish recipe and all this time I thought it was Italian.  Smiley Spanish or Italian, I figured I'd give it a try. Now, it could easily have been done on the stove top but what's the fun in that when you have a Bubba Keg?

Ingredients:

5 eggs
5 potatoes
1/2 an onion
Milk
Parsley
Romano cheese
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat some olive oil in a skillet to fry the potatoes.
Peel the potatoes and slice as you would for home fries. (Some recipes do state to dice the potatoes, your choice), Place in the hot skillet and fry until tender and somewhat brown. Season with salt and pepper.

Slice the onion and cut into small pieces.
Add to the skillet and cook with the potatoes until translucent (add when potatoes are nearly done).

Whisk the eggs, add some milk as you would for scrambled eggs. Add in a bit of parsley for color, salt and pepper (and here's where the dish gets my Italian heritage) and grate some Romano cheese into the mix.

Pour into the pan and let cook until the edges are fairly well set. The top will set up to some degree but there will still be a bit of liquid when ready to flip.

Now for the fun part. Place a plate over the skillet and flip the omelet onto the plate. Then slide the omelet back into the pan so the other side cooks. Remove from pan when done.

Some pics so you know this was done on the Keg -

Ingredients (not all shown and differ from amounts in recipe above)  -

Potatoes and onions in the skillet -

Egg mixture added -

And about ready to be flipped (always fun to do with a screaming hot skillet on the Keg) -
(Edit: Actually this was after it was flipped)

Since this is a fairly new skillet and still being seasoned, the flip was an adventure and needed the assistance of a spatula to get underneath and free the spots where the omelet stuck a bit. Hence, it didn't flip as cleanly as I would have liked, but it did flip.

And off the Keg -
I'll admit these aren't food magazine quality pics but I'm not producing them for a food magazine.

And a wedge removed and plated -

Thanks for taking a stroll back with me into my youth. It's been a long time since I've had potatoes and eggs and making this dish on the Keg was a lot of fun.

-lunchman
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:46:38 PM by lunchman » Logged

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic, Thermos gas
ranbeaux
Keg Hero of the Month | Fish Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Keggin down south in Pasadena, Texas

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »

I'd be on that like a duck on a june bug.. Tongue

"RIGHT WING NUTT JOB"
"BITTER CLINGER TO MY"
  " GUNS AND MY KEG "
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »

Recipe Board for sure

Looks great

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
Rip
Superhero Member

Western North Carolina

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »

That's going into my recipe folder.

Thanks, that looks wonderful!

rip

The belly rules the mind.  ~Spanish Proverb
Billy Bowlegs

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 02:45:57 PM »

This may just be breakfast tomorrow.  Looks excellent.
Hubub

near Philly

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »

I love these!  Yours looks great!  
I haven't made one since the winter, but have even made them for parties.    Of course, my keg has only lived here for a week, so I haven't tried making one on the keg -- will have to try this on it though.  I combined a couple of recipes from Epicurious and added some stuff to it that I liked.  I think that you can add almost anything to them and it will be good.  Here's the recipe I use:

Tomato, Pepper,  Potato, Ham and Cheese Frittata

 6 whole large eggs
 2 large egg whites or whole eggs
 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan (2 ounces)
 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
 3/4 teaspoon salt
 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
 3 tablespoons olive oil
 1 small onion diced
 1 bell pepper diced

 2 pounds Yukon Gold unpeeled potatoes, cut up small
 little paprika on potatoes
 2 cups tomatoes
 couple of small pieces of ham, diced

Top for final broil
 1 TB cheddar
 1 TB mozzarella cheese
 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan

1.  Put potatoes in water over high heat and boil while prepping everything else.
2. Run cold water over them when ready to cut up.  Cut up after cutting up tomatoes.
3.  Cook garlic, onion and peppers in 3 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet (preferably nonstick and ovenproof) over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 10 minutes.  
4.  Add tomatoes and ham to skillet and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until tomatoes brown and skins split, about 4 minutes.  Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
5.  Add potatoes to skillet and saut over moderately high heat, stirring, until just tender, about 30 minutes.
6. Whisk together whole eggs, whites, 1/4 cup parmesan, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in large bowl.
7.  Preheat broiler.
8.  Pour egg over vegetables and cook over moderately high heat, lifting up cooked egg around edges to let uncooked egg flow underneath, 3 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate and cook, covered, 4 minutes more (center will be moist).
9. Remove lid and broil frittata 5 to 7 inches from heat until set, about 4 minutes.
10. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining cheeses, top with 1/4 cup parmesan.
11. Broil AGAIN until cheese melts and frittata is golden brown, 4 minutes more.
Slide onto a platter and cut into 4-8 wedges.
EconomicDisconnect
Superhero Member

North of Boston, MA

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »

Now I really need my kitchen to get done!  Nice cook.

For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 03:51:16 PM »

Hubub, that looks like a great recipe. I'll have to give that a try some time.

I recall my parents also making tomatoes and eggs, something us kids wouldn't touch. But a potato and egg omelet - it would disappear like that. I remember many midnite raids on the fridge for a wedge of it.

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic, Thermos gas
Grandpa JD
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Charleston, SC

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 04:13:52 PM »

Great looking potato pie.  Nice job!

"To the stars on the wings of a pig."
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 05:17:24 PM »

Another one for the list!

Is it burnt??
Hubub

near Philly

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 08:13:37 PM »

Hubub, that looks like a great recipe. I'll have to give that a try some time.

I recall my parents also making tomatoes and eggs, something us kids wouldn't touch. But a potato and egg omelet - it would disappear like that. I remember many midnite raids on the fridge for a wedge of it.

Yours sounds like it was great!  Mine was made from what I had in the house the 1st time I did it.  I really liked the combination of ingredients so usually make it per above.  Yours has fewer steps -- mine has a lot of steps!  We never had omelets and certainly not frittatas as kids -- scrambled eggs was about it.

There's another recipe that I've made involving potatoes and cheese that I'll dig up that would be do-able on the BK.    Don't think it has eggs though.  I also have a type of pancake that could be good on the BK -- I will definitely try it when making pizza as it needs a fairly high temp.  I have both of those on the computer somewhere but not sure if they've been edited to include most recent "improvements," so I'll have to check my notes against them.
hubba bubba

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 05:20:36 AM »

That's a fine looking egg pie!
I like making fritatas, or however you spell it, easy and tasty.
Haven't tried it on the Keg yet, though.
Nice pic's.
BigFoodie
Superhero Member

Grill It, Chill It, But Dont Dare Spill It!

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 06:09:54 AM »

Lunch - that was perfect looking.  Im a big fan of fritatta.  Nice job

Don't blame me if your smoke alarm went off - you're the one that opened your windows down wind.

Central NJ
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 08:51:39 AM »

Moving this to the recipe forum. This is something I will be trying soon.
BirdNerd
Superhero Member

San Rafael, CA

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 09:07:22 AM »

Lunchman, you are Italian and didn't include any fresh zucchini in the frittata?  Cheesy

I like to shred the zucchini and throw it in the frittata... great way to use up those extra squash....

One of The (more than) Few. The Proud. The Kalifornia KegMen.
Shameless plug for our Lake Tahoe rental cabin: http://www.vrbo.com/120638
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: