Broil King Keg Forum
January 17, 2018, 08:45:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roadside Chiken  (Read 11268 times)
FLbobecu
Superhero Member

« on: July 27, 2010, 05:15:24 PM »

Second cook - need to get a skillet as a diffuser this weekend until I can get Ran's straps.

Prep:

I also used the recipe as a marinade - but deducted the oil for the marinade. Marinated for 10 hours.

Cooking:

I didn't use diffuser straps or BK diffuser yet. I used a 15"x7x HD aluminum pan for diffuser (set on first grate). Cooked on the second grate.

Cooked @ 375-400 whole cook. Flipped every 10 minutes. Basted/mopped/sauced every 10 minutes as well.

Used Apple wood chunks.

Black beans n rice and some nice snow peas. I am not that great at "plating" like some of you guys, but I'm still learning.  Cheesy

Not bad, I'd say myself. I've only been cooking for 2 or 3 months now. Learned TONS and now I just need to apply that knowledge. Chiken was excellent overall. I will be laminating this recipe, for sure. I am going to try Rans' next.

Roadside Chiken:

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood whil

Courtesy of Bryan S on the vwbb.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:21:23 PM by FLbobecu » Logged
Grandpa JD
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Charleston, SC

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »

Nice job.  Now that I have my diffuser, I plan on trying a lot more chicken recipes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:57:09 PM by jdwashin » Logged

"To the stars on the wings of a pig."
h00kemh0rns
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:23 PM »

Plating schmating...that looks freakin' good! 

Daniel

BBQ is all the same basic idea.  Throw some meat onto the fire, cover, get drunk, pass out, wake up and 14 hours later, eat.  This is not a highly refined art form.

Keg FAQhttp://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php?topic=2013.0
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:56:20 PM »

I've made Bryan's Roadside chicken many times. It's a must try, I've actually posted about it here before. His post has 486 replies, mostly to the effect 'best chicken EVER'.
FLbobecu
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:18:12 PM »

I've actually posted about it here before. His post has 486 replies, mostly to the effect 'best chicken EVER'.

Yep, you posted about it before, and that's where I got it. Just giving credit, where credit is due.  Smiley
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:33:54 AM »

I haven't tried this, but it looks and sounds great Shocked  I saw your post too Kegger.  I'd like to send this to recipes to keep it alive, but the write up is still missing some facts a rookie might need.  No mention of diffuser/drip pan or temps.  I would think both diffuser and drip pan to keep all the drippings from burning and 350*-450* with all the dome openings every 5-10 minutes, but like I said.  I haven't cooked it yet (soon Tongue )  Help me get this to recipes guys....

Thanks,
Boat

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »

Looks great, another one Ineed to do.
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »

I'd hammer that!

Is it burnt??
FLbobecu
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »

I haven't tried this, but it looks and sounds great Shocked  I saw your post too Kegger.  I'd like to send this to recipes to keep it alive, but the write up is still missing some facts a rookie might need.  No mention of diffuser/drip pan or temps.  I would think both diffuser and drip pan to keep all the drippings from burning and 350*-450* with all the dome openings every 5-10 minutes, but like I said.  I haven't cooked it yet (soon Tongue )  Help me get this to recipes guys....

Thanks,
Boat

Boat - what other facts do you need? Here's what I can include -

No diffuser straps or BK diffuser yet. I used a 15"x7x HD aluminum pan for diffuser. Cooked on the second grate.

Cooked @ 375-400 whole cook. Flipped every 10 minutes. Basted/mopped/sauced every 10 minutes as well.

Used Apple wood chunks.

I'll also update the first post.
Boat-n-BBQ
2x BKCG Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 08:40:31 PM »

That did it  Shocked

Just trying to stick to the guidlines Ricky Bobby set for recipies to be posted Grin

Thanks for updating,
Boat

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
FLbobecu
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »

That did it  Shocked

Just trying to stick to the guidlines Ricky Bobby set for recipies to be posted Grin

Thanks for updating,
Boat

No problem Boat.  Grin
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 08:12:07 AM »

Courtesy of Bryan S on the vwbb.
It's The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board, usually abbreviated TVWBB, Bryan's post can be found: here

I've done it direct, at 350F it's about 45 minutes, at 450F it's more like 35 minutes (but all the lid opening can add some time). I always start skin side down. Try 10 minutes -> turn (not flip), 10 minutes -> flip, 10 minutes -> turn. Skin down to start gives the best chance of getting great skin IMO.
FLbobecu
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 08:14:14 AM »

It's The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board, usually abbreviated TVWBB, Bryan's post can be found here: here

I've done it direct, at 350F it's about 45 minutes, at 450F it's more like 35 minutes (but all the lid opening can add some time). I always start skin side down. Try 10 minutes -> turn (not flip), 10 minutes -> flip, 10 minutes -> turn. Skin down to start gives the best chance of getting great skin IMO.

Thanks Kegger - I'll try that next time!  Smiley
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:27:35 AM »

you too for trying and posting about it

I'm curious about Bryan's comment, he says to the effect 'typical of the roadside chicken joints around here', he lives in Lancaster PA. Must be a magical place that Lancaster PA Smiley ....  around here the only roadside stands seem to sell frozen seafood ... or fruit, corn in season.
ColtsFan317

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 05:40:17 PM »

made this today and gotta say its the best chicken we have had in a long time, plate was cleared in no time should have bought two chickens
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: