Broil King Keg Forum
October 23, 2017, 11:44:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rule of thumb pulled pork lbs per person  (Read 209940 times)
GrillSarge
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Doggie water taxi service http://www.zeemaps.com/k

« on: July 23, 2010, 04:04:15 PM »

I've been volunteered to cook for the family reunion in sept and am going to do pulled pork as the primary food plus a lot of this and that items.  How many pounds do you think for approximately 35 people?

The Black Cauldrons of Celtic myth.  Known as Undri, The Irish God the Dagda's cauldron from which no one leaves hungry or unsatisfied and Amen the Welsh Goddess Ceridwen's vessel from which flows wisdom and inspiration.  Also the cauldron of Annwn  that won't cook the food of a coward.
Alpha

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »

I'd guess it'd be around 1/2 lb per person....

I don't know the scientific explanation, but FIRE MADE IT GOOD. - Homer J. Simpson
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »

Figure 60% yield and 1/3lbs per person if you have sides. Three 8lb buts trimmed and pulled should be more than enough with all those sides, espcially if it includes buns for sandwiches.

2cents

Is it burnt??
roaniecowpony
Steak Full Plated Meal - 2 x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Torrance California

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 05:03:51 PM »

Figure 60% yield and 1/3lbs per person if you have sides. Three 8lb buts trimmed and pulled should be more than enough with all those sides, espcially if it includes buns for sandwiches.

2cents

Amazing amount of knowledge here.  I just calculated my yield of lastnight's cook.  7lb shoulder gave 4.5 lbs cooked and pulled and fat tossed out.  Something like 64%.  You da man, Ron. 

Chuck
Practice safe eating - always use a condiment
Bubba Keg Grill
BSK 2000
20x36 offset
600 inch gas grill
Skinsandos
Keg Hero of the Month - 8X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Winter Springs, FL --- Light It Up

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 05:05:25 PM »

ronbeaux is correct peeps X .5 = sum then sum /.6 = buy weight bone in

Hunt - Fish - Kegvection Grilling
GrillSarge
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Doggie water taxi service http://www.zeemaps.com/k

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »

sweet  I'd definitely have over done it.  especially since I'm doing moinks and  grilled veggies plus some other stuff stewed gizzards and hearts in the dutch oven etc.

The Black Cauldrons of Celtic myth.  Known as Undri, The Irish God the Dagda's cauldron from which no one leaves hungry or unsatisfied and Amen the Welsh Goddess Ceridwen's vessel from which flows wisdom and inspiration.  Also the cauldron of Annwn  that won't cook the food of a coward.
EconomicDisconnect
Superhero Member

North of Boston, MA

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »

If I am around then figure 2 pounds just for me!

For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire
RazorbackBBQJim
Superhero Member

Maryville, Tn. (just south of Knoxville)

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 06:01:03 PM »

I have some BIG guys and I have to figure 1/2 lb per person...not the norm.  If I under cook I get beat-up.

IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE!!!!!
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »

I go by 50% yield (bone in, skin on) 1/4lb for the ladies, 1/2lb for the guys
RNF
Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »

I figure 12 oz a person on uncooked untrimmed meat. With the men I work with there is very little left. Shocked
fan1970
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »

I've been volunteered to cook for the family reunion in sept and am going to do pulled pork as the primary food plus a lot of this and that items.  How many pounds do you think for approximately 35 people?
No science or math here butI did a family reunion last weekend. We ended up having 43 people there. My total amount of meat cooked was 15 racks ribs, 2 pork butts about 17lbs, 3 kielbasa, and 2 pkgs of hot dogs. Each family brought sides and i am by FAR the biggest one there. Our leftovers were 2 1/2 racks of ribs and 1 bowl the size of a butter container of pulled pork. So my pulled pork was enough but barely.

I'm not always right, but I always have an opinion.

My two favorite NFL teams are Dallas and ANYBODY that plays Washington
EconomicDisconnect
Superhero Member

North of Boston, MA

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 06:57:10 PM »

No science or math here butI did a family reunion last weekend. We ended up having 43 people there. My total amount of meat cooked was 15 racks ribs, 2 pork butts about 17lbs, 3 kielbasa, and 2 pkgs of hot dogs. Each family brought sides and i am by FAR the biggest one there. Our leftovers were 2 1/2 racks of ribs and 1 bowl the size of a butter container of pulled pork. So my pulled pork was enough but barely.

Well, did you correct for ambient humidity in the meat totals??  Keep it top flight Fan!

For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire
roaniecowpony
Steak Full Plated Meal - 2 x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Torrance California

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:08:18 PM »

We've been having family dinners for the 25 yrs I've been with my wife. They move the parties around to each family house.  Always, always, always, everyone brings something.  They immediately got famous for having right at twice too much food.  When I was younger, I didn't like taking home leftovers, as I got older and the cooks got better, I changed my tune as did everyone else.  People fight over leftovers in my family. There is vast disappointment if dinner has skimpy leftovers.

So we calculate everything by using double the numbers around here.

Chuck
Practice safe eating - always use a condiment
Bubba Keg Grill
BSK 2000
20x36 offset
600 inch gas grill
ronbeaux
BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 04:51:21 AM »

Glad to help! I cook for groups a lot. The hardest by far ever was 180 ribeyes for a lunch party of construction guys. I had them going 20 at a time on a huge horizontal charcoal pit on the 4th of July in 98 degree heat. Everybody ate well and I ended up with heat exhaustion and spent the next three days in bed.

Pulled pork is by far the easiest to cook and serve a large group. You don't have to stand right over it while its cooking and it gives you time to prep your sides and get things organized. It is especially neat to be able to time it out to where you can pull and serve while they watch!

The 1000 people we fed for a fund raiser(Tornado Brisket) was an excersize in organization. I had an assembly line of 8 people each with a specific task to box up the meals and get them ready to transport and serve. It was fun to watch and see where a bottle neck was and jump in with a solution to keep the line moving. 

Is it burnt??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: