Broil King Keg Forum
February 22, 2018, 12:13:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicken and rib moppin sauce recipe...  (Read 10318 times)
ranbeaux
Keg Hero of the Month | Fish Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Keggin down south in Pasadena, Texas

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »

Hey Randall, how long, and high, did you have to cook the chicken? Last time I butterflied the chicken and sauced it every 30min, it took almost 3hrs.   
It does depend on the size of the bird.... With a 3.5 ta 4lb. bird 3hours is a long shot at 250..  275 it would be done. anything bigger will take a lot longer... Thats why I temp the thigh.. not close to the bone tho...  I have had ribs that just would not get done,, Ronbeaux can attest to this also.. mass is a big thing with temps...  A big fat chicken may take 4 hours... The main objective is to keep it moist on the outside till it plateaus...  All birds are different and an older tougher bird will take longer... I like a small 3 ta 4 lb.er cuz its just the Mrs. and I... If you want a easy leg thigh separation you need 175 ta 180.  I really don't like to cook them that long, but as hook says 168 ta 170 is a juicy sweet bird..
 Don't let the butcher just give ya the one he wants.  I don't buy a chicken in a bag... I pick my bird...

HOPE THAT HELPED....

"RIGHT WING NUTT JOB"
"BITTER CLINGER TO MY"
  " GUNS AND MY KEG "
Grandpa JD
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Charleston, SC

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 08:37:11 PM »

That sounds about right as I just did one this last weekend.  Your time can vary from 2 1/2 hrs - 3 1/2 hrs...its all about that magical 167* (no higher than 170* IMHO)

Some of us like it a little higher (actually, a lot--185ish) where when you pick up the bird, the leg quarters practically fall off.  Meat's still moist and no hint of blood around the joints.  Just my family's preference though Smiley

"To the stars on the wings of a pig."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: