Keg FAQ  
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Username  
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keg FAQ  (Read 30875 times)
h00kemh0rns
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Round Rock, TX

« on: July 07, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »

Update 12/30/2010:  
          Onward Manufacturing Company has purchased Big Steel Keg

I've compiled what I could from the most asked questions.  I think this is a good starting point for all Keggers to look at and add on to.  I'll modify as suggestions come in.

Bubba Keg Convection Grill (BKCG), Broil King Keg and Big Steel Keg (BSK) FAQ:

Official Bubba Keg/Big Steel Keg/ Broil King Keg documentation:

1.  GETTING STARTED

Unpacking/What to look out for:  
          • Make sure you have the grate/ash tool and the wedges.  These are the typical items misplaced or potentially not included:
            • If you have the original Bubba Keg Convection Grill make sure you got the tow hitch.
            • For the newer Big Steel Keg make sure you got the outside cover.
            • For all models the ash tool can be inserted in the packing material.

Here is what some of you see when you remove the lid on your box:

The upper packaging foam can stick to the lid, instead of remaining with the grill on the floor.

If you think you're missing your draw bar and multi-tool, be sure to check the packaging.  They're sitting on top:

Calibrate thermometer:
          • Remove the thermometer from grill lid by depressing the tension clamp.
          • Boil water and place the probe into it.
          • See what the variance is from 212* and adjust the temp using the nut on the back until it reads 212*.

Seasoning:
          • Put solid/spray-on Crisco or Peanut/Canola oil on the top vent and Cast Iron (CI) grate.
          • Fire up grill to 400* and let it run for about an hour.
          • This will get rid of any factory sealants and season the cast iron parts.

What to look out for during seasoning process.  
          • Leaks are possible just simply due to the mass production of any grill.  
          • Typically around the lower or upper vents and also around the lid gasket is where you will see leaks.
          • High heat silicone will seal up the leaks at the bottom vent.
          • Seasoning and running the keg will help with the top vent.
          • The gasket may require a break in period.  It may leak a little but over time it should diminish.

Some users have also sealed the lower vent as seen below:

I knew my lower vent needed some sealing and also I wanted to seal the area between the inner liner and the vent/outer liner.

I'm going to give some low and slow temp control dry runs a try.  So I vacuumed and cleaned out the lower inside and the inner liner while I was thinking about it, since I'd been doing quite a bit of cooking it the keg.

The first picture is the without sealing.

The second picture shows how I sealed the inner liner all the way out to the back of the lower stainless steel vent frame.  This should keep any excess oils from getting between the liner and outer wall and seal air leakage at the back of the vent.

I used this

2.  COOKING

Variables to consider before cooking:
          Each of these things can and do effect your ability to control a fire.
          • Outside air temp
          • Humidity - On humid days, fuel tends to burn more slowly and with a bit more difficulty.
          • Amount of wind/direction of wind - Basically, dont point your intake damper into the wind. You dont want wind rushing in to fan your fuel, which would cause spikes.
          • Fuel being used/amount of fuel - This is a trial and error or relying on input/reviews.  Brands of fuel and amount of fuel to use will affect the overall cook.

Starting a fire:
          ***Important:  The keg is extremely efficient at heat retention.  This means that getting the keg up to temp is VERY quick.  Once it gets to a temp its harder to bring down.  You will want to set a target about 50* less than where you want it to settle at and slowly bring it to that temp.***
          • Before putting in any new lump clean out the ash both in the firebox and below.
          • Layer the lump and wood chunks/chips (if using.)  Keep the ratio approximately 5:1 (lump to wood.)  Ex.  Large handful of lump then a few wood chunks/chips...repeat.  
               *Too much wood can cause heat spikes.  Wood will flare up and it's harder to control the temp.
          • You can either fill the firebox up or keep at least one air hole uncovered.  Either can and will work and my just depend on external conditions/experience.
          • Light a small area in the middle of the lump to begin with.  There is no need to light more than one spot.  Mapp lighters or propane torches are a good way to start the lump.  Other options are Paraffin, starter briquettes or paper towel soaked in peanut/canola oil.  NEVER USE LIGHTER FLUID
          • Keep the lid open until the starter has gone out and the lump begins to burn.

• Low and slow vent setup (225* - 275*):
            • Be sure to have a way to deflect direct contact of the flame with the food.  A diffuser in place works the best but so can tin foil.
            • Close lid and keep bottom vent at 2 and top vent at 3.  DO NOT allow temp to rise above 175*.  Once it hits 175* back the vents down about 1/2 to full notch each respectively.  
            • Temp should begin to close in on 250* slowly.  At around 225* begin creeping the vents down a little to slow the rise.  The end result is usually vents sitting at 1 or under for bottom vent and 2-1 at the top.
                 *For the bottom vent the typical opening is about the width of 1/4 - 1/2.  Top vent typically would be between setting 1 1/2 and 2.
            • Allow it to run with no food at the stabilized heat a minimum of 30 min and upwards of an hour.  This will help in heating up the Keg entirely and account for wind gusts, etc. which may require tweaking of the vent.

I will attempt to help those starting out with the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words - the vents are a Bubba version but the mass area of open vent should be able to be translated to a BSK

Load the keg with quality lump and your smoking wood CHUNKS
          Place a fire starter in the top middle light the starter lid open and bottom vent wide open and let it burn out (10 min or so) This lump is a mix of True Que and Winn Dixie (WD is on sale 5.69 thru Tuesday for those central florida keggers I bought all that Longwood had)

Set bottom vent to this and you may have to shut it more (I do usually after an hour and a half or so)

Set top to this

This top vent setting is for all low and slow as well as pitmaster use

Keggers there are differences in lump, kegs, ambient, humidity, fire starters ....... On fire starters you just want to get the fire started if you have big starters break or cut them to a piece that burns 8-10 min do a trial or two

• Hot and fast vent settings (>600*):
            ***When cooking above 400* make sure you "burp" the Keg before opening the lid completely.  This just means to slowly open the lid a little and bring back down in case there is a flare up from the rush of oxygen into the chamber.  ***  
            Otherwise, you will get flashback.    Burnt hair does not make for a good cook.
            • Dont close the lid until a good pile of lump has been lit.
            • Close the lid and open up the vents fully.
            • When the temp closes in on 50* of your target back the bottom vent down 1-2 settings.  (Mine will typically sit between 3 and 4.)
            • Top vent remains wide open.
            • Temps that I find useful are 600-650* for steaks/hamburgers and 650-750* for pizza.

**The above vent settings is one rule of thumb that has worked for me. **

Part of the fun of the Keg is to play around with what works for YOU.

Temperature Spikes (>25*):
          • Do NOT open the lid thinking this will lower the temp.  It is counterproductive as the rush of oxygen will just feed the fire.
          • Close both vents down to 1/2 to 1/4" each.  DO NOT CLOSE OFF THE VENTS.
          • Give the keg 30 minutes to come back down.
          • In extreme cases a simple spritz bottle full of water and a couple sprays onto the coals will do the trick.

Cooking temps (guideline only):

Type of Meat     Smoking Temp      Time to Complete      Finished Temp
          Brisket(Sliced)225F1.5 hours/pound          180 degrees
          Brisket(Pulled)225F1.5 hours/pound195 degrees
          Beef Ribs225F3 hours175 degrees
          Pork Butt (Sliced)225F1.5 hours/pound175 degrees
          Pork Butt (Pulled)225F1.5 hours/pound190-205
          Whole Chicken250F4 hours167 degrees
          Chicken Thighs250F1.5 hours167 degrees
          Chicken Quarters250F3 hours167 degrees
          Whole Turkey 12#240F6.5 hours170 degrees
          Turkey Leg250F4 hours165 degrees
          Turkey Wings225F2.5 hours165 degrees
          Boudin230F2.5 hours165 degrees
          Breakfast Sausage   230F3 hours160 degrees
          Fatties225F3 hours165 degrees
          Meat Loaf250 -300F          3 hours160 degrees
          Meatballs (2 inch)225F1 hour165 degrees
          Spare Ribs225-240F6 hours172 degrees
          Baby Back Ribs225-240F5 hours168 degrees
          Smoked Corn225F1.5; 2 hoursN/A
          Smoked Potatoes225F2 2.5 HoursN/A

Note:
          Be sure to use the internal temperature to tell you when the meat is done cooking. Time is just an estimate and is NOT an indicator of doneness.  Invest in a good temperature probe to ensure you hit target temps.
          Also, even though you remove the meat and allow it to rest there will be carry over cook time.  So, if you have a target internal temp of 200* it's okay to remove from the keg at 195* or even 190* as there will be residual cooking time especially if you wrap it in aluminum foil.

3.  FUEL

Lump Charcoal
          • Whats the best lump or where can I find reviews?  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
          • Why does lump pop?  Open question.  Just keep in mind it is normal and some will pop more than others.
          • Do I need to reload the lump during a cook?  No.  The keg is designed to maintain temps efficiently.  Fill up the firebox and don't worry about running out.
          • How long can I get a cook out of a full load of lump?  We've had keggers get upwards of 24 hours or more on one load maintaining temps of 225-250*
          • Does In-Zone make their own brand of lump?  Why yes, they do Grin  It's called True 'Cue and can be found at about half of the Home Depot's.  Here is a review:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag94.htm

Wood Chips/Chunks:

Using chips or chunks really is a fairly simple thing with not too many gotchas.
          You can presoak them for at least 1/2hr, longer if you prefer. Use wood dry if you want a strong burst of smoke for a short period of time. Use chunks when you plan on long term smoking.

Chips:
          • Placing wet wood CHIPS on a hot grill, you will generate enough smoke to lightly smoke the food.
          • If you use anything but soaked wood CHIPS at grilling temps, the CHIPS quickly burn up unless you use the lump/chip method above.

Chunks:
          • Chunks produce smoke at a more uniform rate.
          • 2 chunks of wood can last about an hour.
          • Too many chunks and you will not be able to control the temp spikes in the cooker.

Types of wood:
          Wood           Characteristic                                                     Best With    
          Oak A heavy smoke flavor. Red meat, pork, fish, and some wild game.
          Hickory Milder than mesquite. Sweet, light taste.                   Good with any meat.
          Mesquite Strong, smoky taste. Great with all meats. Especially good with ribs, lamb, and vegetables.
          Pecan Nice taste. Lighter than hickory. Good with almost anything.
          Maple Mildly smoky. Sweet, light taste. Poultry, ham and vegetables.
          Apple Sweet, fruity smoke taste. Beef, poultry, wild game, pork (especially ham)
          Acadia Similar to mesquite, but not as strong. Most meats. Most vegetables. Good with beef.
          Almond A nutty, sweet flavor. Good with all meats.
          Alder Very delicate. Slightly sweet. Fish, pork, poultry.
          Apricot Milder and sweeter than Hickory. Good with most meats.
          Ash Burns fast. Light, but district flavor. Red meats and fish.
          Birch Slightly sweet. Good with pork and poultry.
          Cherry Slightly sweet fruit flavor. Good with all meats.
          Grape Vines     Similar to fruit woods. Good with all meats.
          Grapefruit Medium smoke flavor. Slight hint of fruit. Good with beef, poultry, and pork.
          Lemon Medium smoke flavor. Slight hint of fruit. Good with beef, poultry, and pork.
          Lilac Very light smoke flavor. Good with seafood and lamb.

Caution/Safety with cutting your own wood:

• You can use almost any type of wood for smoking except PINE and CEDAR.
          • Try different woods or combinations of different woods with different meats.
          • Always use a wood that is well seasoned (dried). Never use green woods as they can permanently ruin your cooker
                 If you cut up your own wood keep in mind that Green Wood should never be used.  Green wood does burn hotter BUT, it does take a certain type of equipment and skill to use it. There is simply too much byproduct (creosote, cyanide and arsenic)  that is produced that cannot be effectively eliminated in the cooking process by the Keg.

4.  CARE

Cleaning your keg.
          Ash clean up is expected before each cook to ensure proper ventilation.
          After cooking scrape the CI grate free of all food/debris.
          Black film build up on inside of lid is normal.  This is from build up of resin, carbon, soot, fat, etc from cooks.  It starts to flake off during cooks with moisture.  Just scrape or wipe down as needed

Grease cleanup:
          Fire up your grill and get it to 500-600*.  Let it run fully open for about 30 min to an hour burning off all the old/excess grease.
             *Make sure you use a pan under your meat when doing low and slow to minimize grease cleanup/collecting.  

Long term care
          The top vent and CI grate will rust if not seasoned and left to the elements for any length of time.
          Make sure you keep both seasoned (repeat steps above) well and cover the grill when not in use.

5.  ACCESSORIES

Official Keg Accessories (In Zone Big Steel Keg Online Shop):
          •     Keg diffuser:   Diffuser
          •     Keg trailer hitch:  Trailer Hitch
          •     Great American BBQ BSK Accessories: They carry the Keg handle, multi tool, Tru Cue lump, cooking basket, CI cooking griddle, Grill Cover, Pizza Stone, Diffuser kit, multifunction V Rack, Caster set, hitch, shelves, and cooking grate set

Unofficial Keg Accessories:
          The keg shares a lot of similar dimensions as the LARGE Big Green Egg.  So that means all of the accessories that fit the BGE will fit the Keg.  

3rd party accessory sites:

15 1/2" diameter home oven stone sitting on top of a large BGE platesetter and bge ceramic feet:

Temperature probes (several to choose from)
               Instant read thermometers
              Digital thermometers

Heat controllers:
          There are options for those that want extra piece of mind in over night cooks or who just like cool gadgets.  The two below are the most popular.

PitmasterIQ

BBQ Guru

Dedicated BBQ Guru port on Keg:

I decided to take the plunge and mod my Bubba Keg to include a dedicated BBQ Guru port. In the end it was 100x easier than I anticipated (although maybe I just got lucky). The bulk of the process only took about 15 minutes and went very smoothly. As with any mods, this will void the warranty and I'm sure Ricky Bobby will jump in here to echo that sentiment.  Grin

I started on Monday by drilling the pilot hole in the outer layer of the BKCG.  I only made it through the outer layer because once I broke through I quickly realized that the existing adapter (BGE/BKCG door adapter) wouldn't be long enough.

The whole process was put on hold until the Bulkhead Adapter would arrive from BBQ Guru. The adapter is actually slightly different than pictured on the website. It has several grooves for the snap ring to fit into.

With the adapter in hand, I finished drilling the pilot hole through the inner layer of the BKCG.

After that, it was time for the hole saw to do its thing. Cutting through the outer layer was no big deal. The white inside the hole is the insulation and not some artifact of the flash. It's packed in there pretty tightly but I was able to reach my fingers in there and push it out of the way to drill the inner layer.

Here's a shot of the inner layer with the full-size hole cut.

Another with both holes cut and the insulation pushed aside. There was some concern about the insulation spooling up on the drill bit(s) but I didn't experience any of that.  Again, maybe I just got lucky.

Here are some shots of the adapter dry-fit on the BKCG. It fits like a dream and is very solid. Prior to this I was concerned if the adapter would be sturdy enough once installed but I can tell that's not going to be an issue.  

The last step is to use some high-temp silicone and seal up the adapter on the inside and outside. I didn't pick any up yet because I only wanted to make one trip to Ace Hardware just in case I needed to order a new grill. Smiley

So yeah, there it is. I was fearing the worst going into this but it ended up being a piece of cake. Granted, I'm not 100% complete but a majority of the work is done. All that's left is to run a bead of silicone around the adapter and that should be it.

If you have any questions or comments, just holler.

Bonus picture!
          I originally took this picture to show how much I was restricting the Pitmaster airflow (pre-flat washer mod) but you can see the port in the background.

Taping up the air intake area for fan adaptor:
          Hey all,

I just purchased a BBQ Guru for my BKCG Cool  I went with the DigiQ II, 10 CFM fan and BGE XL fan adapter plate.  The 10CFM fan and fan adapter plate were recommended by folks at BBQ Guru for the BKCG.  

I thought some of you might want to hear how the first few test runs went.  Please forgive the poor pics.  I was doing the test runs this week at night.  Ill try and put something better together later.  This is just sort of the 1st quick and dirty

Well I read the Guru manual cover to cover several times and all the setup/startup and how to posts on the BBQ Guru website.  With all the reading on the Guru I thought Id be up and smoking with just one or two tries Grin  but it took just a bit more  Huh

1st try:  cleaned the fire box up real good and put in enough fresh lump for a easy 4-5 hour run at 225-250*. Installed the fan adapter plate.

Lit the lump top/center with one small fire starter stick and let it get going for a few minutes.  Closed up the BCKG and set the top damper just on the narrow side of #1.  Thats just to make the Guru work a little (per instructions). Kicked on the guru to let it bring the BCKG up to temp.  Dialed pit set point to 200*.  All seemed to be going well!  Nice regular warble to the fan and the temp climbed steadily to the set point (maybe a bit to fast).  Once 200* was reached the fan stopped and temp continued to climb.  I stopped the test at 230* Sad  Note: the fan damper was fully open.

2nd try:  Same as above with fan damper at 1/2 open.  Results were the same, but I noticed air leaks around the fan plate adapter.  

3rd try: Same as 2nd but taped up the possible air leaks at the fan adapter plate. Results were the same Angry Some frustration starting to form at this point

4th try:  Same as above with fan damper at  open.  Steady fan warble, but the BKCG never reached set point. The fire went out.  I dont know, it was getting late.  I could have rushed it and not had it lit properly. Undecided

5th try and 3rd night!  Same as above with fan damper at 1/3 open.  Slowly reached set point about 15/20 minutes and seamed to hold  Wink  After 30 minutes I raised the set point to 225*.  The grill got to 225* in about 10 or 15 minutes.  After an hour it was still holding.  Checked it every 30 mins for 2  hours and it never moved more that 1 degree!!!  Dome temp displayed about 10 degrees warmer than the Gurus grate temp and that sounds about right to me.  I think I got it Shocked

The sweet spot on the fan damper seems to be very narrow, but this is my 1st Guru and Ive only done just these few tests.  Ive still got a lot to learn, so its off to the store for some large chunks of meat!!!

Ill keep you posted!!
          Boat

The BBQ Guru adaptor you want to select is the EXTRA LARGE BGE adaptor.

Rocks Stoker

6.  FAQ

• What is the diameter of the CI grate?  18.5"

• What is the measurement of the gaps in the CI grate?  3/8

• What is the dimension of shipped box for BK/BSK?  38" X 29" X 25", people with seats that fold down have had no problems fitting into a Mini Cooper

• Is a diffuser absolutely necessary when doing low and slow smoking?  Though not necessary it is recommended and makes it easier.  The big thing to remember is that you need to make sure as best as possible to keep the food away from direct contact with the flame.  Shielding with say tin foil will help.

• What is the diameter of the diffuser pan?  13 at the bottom

• What is the diffuser rack and pan made out of?  Enameled steel.  Recommendation is to line drip pan with aluminum foil.

• Can I paint the Keg?  Yes it has been done.  You will want to use High Temp paint especially near the gasket/lid area as temps can get in excess of 180*
            Here is an example of what one owner Uncle has done:  

Sealing a Keg

How to seal the top and bottom airflow dampers.

Tools and materials:

-Phillips screw driver
            -Hex key (5 mm)
            -Flat-nose pliers
            -Clean cloths
            -Soap and water
            -Rubber or latex gloves
            -Rubbing alcohol
            -High temp RTV gasket maker
            -Vegetable shortening (optional)

Time: Two hours

1. Remove top airflow damper and base.  Season inside and out with vegetable shortening if you have not already done so or it has been awhile (this will further seal the keg and prevent rusting).

2. Clean the inner ridge of top damper, keg lid and wall just around the top and bottom airflow dampers (using a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol and / or soap and water).

3. Apply a thin bead (2 mm) of RTV gasket around the bottom airflow damper as needed.  Work into the gap between damper housing and keg wall.  Wipe off excess with a cloth.

4. Apply a bead (2 to 4 mm) to the inner ridge of the top damper as shown below.  Carefully reposition top damper base (make sure airflow indicator arrow is at the front) and replace screws but do not tighten.  Wait one hour then gently tighten the screws to snug.  A half turn should do.  

5.  Finally, complete the reassembly of the top damper by aligning airflow indicator and securing top damper with nut, lock-washer and bolt.

Wait 24 hours (under normal conditions) for the RTV gaskets to cure.  If you seasoned the top damper in step 1, remember to fire up the keg to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and hold that temperature for one hour.

• What is the difference between the Bubba Keg Convection Grill and the Big Steel Keg?  
            • Warranty  Based on improvements to the construction of the Keg, the warranty coverage on the main body and stand has been increased from 5 years to 10 years.
            • Appearance - The color has been changed from Silver to Terra.  The new finish better integrates the Keg into your outdoor space while weathering more attractively than Silver.
            • Performance - The upper and lower vents have been retooled to improve performance and controllability for low-and-slow cooks.  The new design still incorporates the quick lighting and high temperature performance our grill is known for.

• We have improved the design of the lid to improve weather ability and sealing.   The new lid also allows for less air to pass around the upper vent, improving low temperature performance.
            • Usability - The side trays have been moved farther out from the grill to increase usable area and to make cleaning the grill easier.  

• We have incorporated security holes to the bottom of the keg to allow for locking the keg to a vehicle for transportation or storage.

• Accessories - While the Big Steel Keg is just as portable as the Bubba Keg, we have elected to make the trailer hitch adapter an optional accessory.  We are instead packaging the grill with a "Patio" grill cover that allows for storage with the side trays attached.

• Has anyone done a comparison of the Big Green Egg and Bubba Keg/Big Steel Keg?  Yes, our very own Braddog has a blog which he compared the two.  

• What is the outside of the keg finished with?  The surface of all Kegs are powder coated and then finish-painted silver or terra.  The terra kegs have a more weather-resistant paint than the silver grills.

• Can I clean the outside with oven cleaner?  NO!  oven/grill cleaners strip the paint off the outside.

• Where is the Keg made?  China

• Should I use a water pan for cooking?  No.  With most Kamado style cookers, such as the Keg, it is extremely efficient at keeping foods moist.  There is no need to add a water pan.

• Who do I contact for issues, spare parts, or questions?  Contact Onward Manufacturing Company customer service directly @ 1-800-265-2150  -OR- e-mail your questions or warranty issues to info@omcbbq.com
          [/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
          « Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:10:28 AM by Vindii » Logged

Daniel

BBQ is all the same basic idea.  Throw some meat onto the fire, cover, get drunk, pass out, wake up and 14 hours later, eat.  This is not a highly refined art form.

Keg FAQhttp://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php?topic=2013.0
          jsegura3
          Superhero Member

San Antonio, TX

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:57:57 AM »

Awesome, this should be a sticky!  Grin
          brettatk

Smyrna, GA

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »

Great info!  Already see a couple of things I've been doing wrong.
          Iyor

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:52:50 AM »

Great post! this should be a sticky
          RazorbackBBQJim
          Superhero Member

Maryville, Tn. (just south of Knoxville)

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »

Hook,

You did alot of work.  It will be helpful to all.

Thanks

Jim

IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE!!!!!
          Rip
          Superhero Member

Western North Carolina

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »

Outstanding!

Good job, Sir.

Thank-you.

Rip

The belly rules the mind.  ~Spanish Proverb
          Boat-n-BBQ
          2x BKCG Hero of the Month
          Superhero Member

Go fast ~ Cook slow... Marietta, GA

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »

Hook,

You did alot of work.  It will be helpful to all.

Thanks

Jim
          Agreed, I think you did a great job getting this started. I also think a few sticky's would be good.  While I think this is a great candidate, I'm leaving what get's made into a sticky up to Ricky Bobby.  It's his forum and his call the way I see it, but you got my vote.

Boat

BKCG's SN#389 (salt) at the lake  SN#1686 (pepper) On permanent loan to SIL
          BSK's SN#5045, SN#6278, SN#6403, SN#6990 (The competition fleet) Powered by BBQ Guru DigiQ's!
          KCBS/CBJ   http://www.facebook.com/boatnbbq
          hotdam

Kernersville,N.C.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:30:04 PM »

Don't know what a sticky is ,but if everyone agrees that it is a good thing then by god let's do it.....by the way great info thanks for all the hard work.
          wraith81

Oklahoma City, OK

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »

Good job with this.  I agree with everyone else, this should be a sticky. 
          TrackBandit

Lake Mary, FL

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 06:00:39 PM »

Outstanding info to have all in one place. Great job!
          RNF
          Superhero Member

South East Oklahoma

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 06:14:12 PM »

Good job with this.  I agree with everyone else, this should be a sticky. 

+1
          h00kemh0rns
          BSK Hero of the Month
          Superhero Member

Round Rock, TX

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »

Thanks guys.   Grin

I have seen so many of the same questions I thought it would be beneficial for a one stop shop.  Searching for your answer sometimes can be cumbersome for new owners.

Let me know if something was left off or needs to be amended.

Daniel

BBQ is all the same basic idea.  Throw some meat onto the fire, cover, get drunk, pass out, wake up and 14 hours later, eat.  This is not a highly refined art form.

ronbeaux
          BSK Hero of the Month; Throwdown Champion
          Superhero Member

Zachary, Louisiana

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 06:30:19 PM »

Great job ! You must have carpul tunnel syndrome by now. I'm not willing to start an argument on the smoking temps because they will work. But so will a lot of others.

But this will surely get people started in the right direction!!!

Thanks for the hard work!

Is it burnt??
          h00kemh0rns
          BSK Hero of the Month
          Superhero Member

Round Rock, TX

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »

Great job ! You must have carpul tunnel syndrome by now. I'm not willing to start an argument on the smoking temps because they will work. But so will a lot of others.

But this will surely get people started in the right direction!!!

Thanks for the hard work!

Thanks Ron.

It won't offend me at all about input from others. I'm all about listening for what others do to see if there is another way or even better way to do it. Feel free to message me or put here.

Daniel

smokey
          Superhero Member

Keg Hero of the Month | Walnut Creek CA

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »

Daniel;

Amazingly clear and to the point.
          Well written and comprehensive of key points..

This was a labor of love.

Thanks!

Richard

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
            Print  

Jump to:  

MySQL |  PHP |  Valid XHTML |  Valid CSS