Broil King Keg Forum
November 19, 2019, 08:50:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charcoal Snake in a Keg?  (Read 148 times)
tjj1133

« on: October 09, 2019, 02:31:40 PM »

Has anyone ever tried the charcoal snake method, sometimes used with Weber kettle grills, with the Keg?
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »

Have never tried it, would there be room in the bottom of the keg to do it?

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
tjj1133

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »

So I did a brisket in the keg yesterday using the snake method and you're right, bamabob, there isn't enough room without some hardware changes. I took the Keg's enamel insert out and put a Weber Kettle 18" charcoal grate in to provide more room for the charcoal. Put the drip pan and it's rack in and then the Keg's cooking grate.

I did a trial burn using a double row of charcoal 'scales' with a single row on top of that, as some Youtube videos show when using the Kettle, and opened both vents all the way. The keg's insulation made this way too hot for a slow smoke so I started over using 2 briquettes side by side followed by 2 single file and continued that pattern around the grate, stopping the tail about 6 inches from the head of the snake. Added 3"x1" pieces of plum wood on top of each pair of side by side briquettes and set both the vents at 3. Started the snake with 8 hot briquettes and after reaching 225 degrees it stayed right there for an hour. I put the brisket in and after 5.5 hours the internal temp was 167 degrees. Wrapped the brisket in foil, added more charcoal to the tail of the snake and 3 hours later the internal temp was 190 degrees. I needed to speed things up so I finished it in a 325-degree oven for 30 min to an internal temp of 203 degrees.

This turned out to be the brisket I've ever done!! Moist, tender, and delicious with a nice smoke ring. I tried this because I've never been able to control the Keg's temp consistently at 225 at meat level (using a Maverick 2 probe thermometer). The Keg's built-in thermometer registered 300 degrees for the whole smoke.

bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 08:27:04 AM »

Interesting, you have a keg 5000?

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: