Broil King Keg Forum
November 12, 2019, 12:09:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Big Pork Butts  (Read 81 times)
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« on: October 17, 2019, 03:59:36 PM »

Later this evening I'll be putting two big pork butts on the Traeger to smoke overnight for pulled pork. They'll go on probabyl about 10 or 11:00pm. I was going to put 'em on the Keg but we'll be having a good bit of rain and wind later and I want them to be done in the morning so as to send some for my wife's cousin and his wife. She'll(the wife)be having neck surgery and we're sending some good eats to help cut down their food preparation a little. I'll be sending some pulled pork also to some other friends of ours. Besides, trying to get in some range time tomorrow so getting it done in the morning would help with that.

On a another note I guess I'll have to have a funeral for my Traeger soon. It's about worn out with way too many issues to make it cost efficient to refurbish. If only Broil King had a spare pellet grill they could send me! Lol........

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »

always nice to cook for others, and you do it a lot Nate.

I've been interested in the Pit Boss vertical pellet that Lowes has.  Ever look at that one?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Pro-Series-4-Vertical-Wood-Pellet-Smoker/1000601259

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Focuspuller
2X Keg Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

No way...no how...

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 04:55:59 PM »

I had a Masterbuilt Electric with a glass door like the Pit Boss shows....

It will become a pain to keep clean.

I use Pit Boss Competition Pellets in my Yoder YS640...best price a Lowe's and very good pellet

KEG 4000
Broil King Imperial XL Gas
Yoder YS640/Competition Cart
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 06:20:12 PM »

Seems like the fuel cost for a pellet is much higher than the keg.  $15 for 40 lbs, is that about what it would take for a 16 hour brisket?

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Focuspuller
2X Keg Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

No way...no how...

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 06:58:22 PM »

Seems like the fuel cost for a pellet is much higher than the keg.  $15 for 40 lbs, is that about what it would take for a 16 hour brisket?

Only use between 10 -12 lbs at 225 to 250 degrees in that time frame with the Yoder ... little more in cold weather.

If the Pit Boss box is insulated like the Keg or Masterbuilt you might use less.

KEG 4000
Broil King Imperial XL Gas
Yoder YS640/Competition Cart
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 06:31:26 AM »

If you keep an eye out on Craigslist you can usually find someone selling a fairly new pellet cooker for a good price. The glass door types will eventually look like one with a solid metal door from the smoke and grease splattering. Walmart usually has everything reduced for clearance about a month or so ago. You might find something there though.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: