Broil King Keg Forum
November 17, 2019, 05:57:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pitmaster IQ120 problems  (Read 440 times)
Vegas

« on: July 16, 2019, 02:57:51 AM »

I've had a Pitmaster for a few years now and previously it has worked very well, however I tried it at the weekend and it failed spectacularly.

I had the temperature stabilised at just over 225F (107C) and hooked up the pitmaster only to see the temperature rise to 170. The probes were reading accurately and the top vent was set correctly (only just open).

Any ideas what happened? I do rely on the controller for overnight cooks so really want to understand what happened so I can use it in the future.
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 06:28:31 AM »

I have no experience with a Pitmaster, but my Maverick will do weird things if the probes, (thermocouples), are going bad.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Vegas

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »

Thing is, the pit probe is working just fine.
thedietz

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »

I had one...actually still do somewhere....

I could never figure out what kind of probes they used.  I tried finding someone amazon but they never fit and worked.

To buy replacement probes from them i think they were $20 each.  After 3 probes failing and sinking $60 more in.....i gave up on the 4th time. 

I told them how ridiculous it was and i was just told "probes fail". 

If you contact them they are going to want you to buy a new pit probe...and more than likely it will fix it event though yours is reading properly.  Contact them....they did offer support but it usually came back to a failed probe...and they usually were right.  but $20 per probe i was over it.

I built a Heatermeater and haven't looked back!
Vegas

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 03:53:04 PM »

I will contact them.

What's a heatermeater?
thedietz

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 04:41:40 PM »

https://store.heatermeter.com/

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki

A bbq temp controller that you build from a Raspberry Pi.  If you never heard of a PI you'll need to google it.

I think total mine cost $160-$180 for all the parts and then i had to assemble.  Has 3 food probes and 1 pit probe.  Has wife and you can monitor controller from a browser on your computer or an App on your phone (PITDROID).
thedietz

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 06:41:08 AM »

Just for some more info....i am using my heatermeater so figured i would show it off a bit....

Here is what the housing looks like.  Its a 3D printed case that bought that houses the electronics.  It can use 3 food probes and has 1 pit probe.

The damper is cool too that i bought and put together.  It has an actuator arm that opens and closes the damper to allow air flow when needed.  There is also a fan in the damper to blow air.

Temp went below target so damper opens up and turns fan on.

It has wireless you can configure and then control all the settings from a web browser.  In this screen shot the red line is what i have pit temp set at.  Orange is actual pit temp. Green is food probe i am using.  and the blue wave you are seeing is the fan activity.

There is also an android (not sure about iphone) app (called PITDROID) that lets you control the temp and view most of the same info.

bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 05:38:39 PM »

Something else that is good to do with any probe is seal the junction where the wire enters the probe.  I started doing this with my Maverick probes and am still using the current ones after 3 years of use.  Previously I was having a failure once a year.

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=12552.0

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: