Broil King Keg Forum
November 12, 2018, 07:18:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pastrami on the Keg  (Read 137 times)
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« on: September 20, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »

I had both the Keg and the Goldens' active yesterday, the Goldens' for the Smashburgers, the Bubba Keg for Pastrami. About a 7 hour smoke, even though I had the vents open a smidge (official bbq term), I was having problems getting the temps under 275 or so. I still have some sealing to do after the rebuild but this was a good test for a low n slow.

My rub is from amazingribs.com, I've never deviated from it and it's always done me right.

Keg coming up to temp -

Brisket out on the Bubba Keg -

After a number of hours -

Quite a bit of lump left in the Keg. One thing it's always excelled at is low n slow and being miserly with lump usage -

Slicing for today's lunch -

Warming in the cast iron -

Pastrami sandwich with Mustard and Swiss, not a bad lunch!  -

Thanks for checking out this cook!

Regards,
-lunchman

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Weber 18" Kettle
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »

Damn it!!  I tried to resist clicking on this, haven't done pastrami in a few years, lot of time, lot of trouble, but oh so worth it.  I think I know what I'll be doing in the near future after seeing your post.
Care to share your recipe and technique?  It looks so good.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 02:58:47 PM »

Store bought corned beef.  I've never bothered to soak it,  haven't had the need to do so.  And I don't wrap in butcher paper either,  just take it off when it hits 203 or so.  I guess you can say I treat recipes like pirates treat the pirate code - like guidelines.  Smiley

Now, I do loosely wrap it in plastic wrap once the rub is applied and let it sit in the fridge overnight. And I used a water bath on top of the platesetter throughout the entire smoke.

Someday I'll follow Meathead's recipe more exactly and see if it makes a difference.

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Weber 18" Kettle
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:49:18 AM »

Thanks, I like the idea of using store bought corned beef.  I've done the brine thing and made corned beef and then pastrami.  Hard to find time these days......

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: