Broil King Keg Forum
November 15, 2018, 12:00:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for a new stand  (Read 1113 times)
Mr. G.

Halifax, NS

« on: August 23, 2018, 07:00:12 AM »

My stand has become quite crusty with rust.  As you can see in the pics, the left leg has bulged out due to water getting in it and freezing.  The bottom right of the horizontal member has completely rusted through, and at the top under the bottom vent opening isn't long for this world either.  I've had the Keg a little over 5 years now, and considering the salty air here in Nova Scotia, I'm surprised it's lasted this long. 

You'll also notice that the bottom of the actual Keg is quite rusty too.  That may have been my fault, though, as I had put aluminum tape around the bottom vent to seal the edges better.  In hindsight, I'm sure that was a bad idea, and totally not necessary. 

So, how does one go about purchasing a new stand for the Keg?

Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:30:50 AM »

Have you tried contacting OMC about a claim? If not maybe someone has a stand they don't use/want anymore or OMC would be the best place to get a replacement. Send them pics and an email.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
Mr. G.

Halifax, NS

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 07:07:23 AM »

Just sent them an email with pics.  Will update once I hear back from them.  Thanks!
Sonny
2X Keg Hero Of The Month - Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Maple, ON

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 06:14:18 PM »

Rust never sleeps.

Think Big, Start Small, Fail Fast, Learn Always
McRoots

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 05:19:13 AM »

Rust never sleeps.

My favourite Neil Young album.
Mr. G.

Halifax, NS

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »

I am absolutely thrilled with OMC's customer support and warranty backing.  I just received a new top and bottom Keg body under warranty due to them both having rust on them.  Got here in 2 days too!  Now I just have to wait for the new stand to arrive.  Wasn't thrilled with how much that cost, but it had to be done. 

Hopefully I can get all the old hardware off the old Keg without breaking anything, lol.
Mr. G.

Halifax, NS

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 07:33:17 AM »

Hopefully I can get all the old hardware off the old Keg without breaking anything, lol.

I think I jinxed myself.  Pretty much all fasteners will need to be replaced, as they were all rusted to crap.  Some even broke in two while removing, and some of the nutserts were fused to the screws, and came out of the keg, so they'll have to be cut off.  The bracket that holds the top and bottom together and allows it to mount to the base is also very crusty on the bottom.  I can probably sand it and repaint it, but it's still a pain in the ass.

I've contacted OMC about a fastener/hardware kit, but they aren't getting back to me now.

Pretty pissed about the situation at the moment, since I don't have a usable Keg at the moment.
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 11:02:11 AM »

My stand wasn't in as bad a shape as yours,  just needed some time with an angle grinder and a repaint.  But Bubba had some rust through under the bottom vent so I fabricated a patch from aluminum and riveted it into place.  Pics are over in the bbq brethren forum,  if anyone wants me to repost here I can.

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Weber 18" Kettle
Mr. G.

Halifax, NS

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 12:55:41 PM »

Finally got in touch with OMC, and have a hardware kit and a new gasket on the way.  A guy I work with said he could refinish the bracket for me.  So, all is not lost.
Focuspuller
2X Keg Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

No way...no how...

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 06:07:20 PM »

Be careful using aluminum and steel without a protective coat of Zinc Chromate or similar.

When these two or most any dissimilar metals are in contact with each other you can get dissimilar metal corrosion.

For ease you probably used aluminum rivets.  On the patch material it is fine, but, where it expanded against the steel...NG!

I did air frame repair in the US of A Airforce so I am familiar with this condition.

KEG 4000
Broil King Imperial XL Gas
Yoder YS640/Competition Cart
lunchman
BSK Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Central Mass.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 03:00:33 AM »

Thanks for the heads up. But it couldn't cause any worse conditions than what was already occurring and with the age and condition of my Keg I won't worry about the dissimilar metal corrosion. My alternative was to trash the Keg so hopefully I've added a few more years to its life. It sure looks a lot better with its new coat of black paint. 

Later today I'll post the repair pics in the other thread I started so folks can see what the repair looks like.

Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Weber 18" Kettle
beefeater

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »

About a month ago OMC replaced both top and bottom Keg body. After receiving them I found that my stand was also rusted. Contacted them again and they sent me a new stand and even paid the shipping!

"Sex, air and BBQ are only important when you're not getting any!"
Mr. G.

Halifax, NS

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »

Unfortunately, the only fasteners that came in the hardware kit are the fasteners for the handles, and two that I have no idea what they're for.  Luckily, I have a friend who works at a hardware store that specializes in fasteners, so he's able to bring in the rest of the fasteners I need.  Hopefully by next weekend I'll be Kegging again!
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 05:12:59 PM »

Here’s a link for the bolts to connect the stand if you still need it

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-8mm-1-25-x-30mm-Socket-Head-Stainless-Steel-Allen-Drive-Metric-Socket-Cap-Screw/50088822

Dan
Mr. G.

Halifax, NS

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 06:02:20 AM »

Those weren't hard to find.  I have a Fastenal right around the corner from where I work that helps me out with stuff like this.  The only fastener I'm having trouble sourcing an exact match for is the one that holds the two halves of the top damper together.  I think I found one that will work, but I don't think it's exactly the same.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: