Broil King Keg Forum
July 18, 2018, 08:46:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5000 Chicken Thighs  (Read 104 times)
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« on: June 30, 2018, 04:06:31 AM »

The other day I took a package of what I thought was chicken wings out of the freezer that turned out to actually be thighs. So yesterday morning I put them to brine for about 6 hours. After rinsing them well they went back into the fridge to air dry  until I was ready to put them on the Keg. After seasoning them with a quick homemade rub I got the 5000 heated up to about 400 degrees and put the thighs on the grate, shut the lid and after a few minutes it was at 350 so I closed the vents a bit to keep it at that temperature. It pretty much stayed right at 350 for the duration of the cooking time.

Temp after putting the chicken thighs on.

These were bone in/skin on.

Toward the end of the cook a thunder storm was kicking up and the wind was blowing the smoke directly under the patio. I sauced half of them with some Blues Hog barbecue sauce.

I decided to throw some fries in the fryer too.

Doing the brine thing helped to keep the thighs tender and juicy delicious!

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
thedietz

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »

I need to learn how to make thighs look that nice.
Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 05:25:39 AM »

Doing thighs like mine isn't difficult. I just took them out of the packaging, trimmed off a little of the too much fat they had and dropped them in a plastic container and added enough brine(1 gal. water, 1 cup sea salt and 1 cup of white sugar heated to dissolve and cooled)to cover and put back in the fridge for about 6 or seven hours. Make sure to chill the brine in the fridge before using. This will keep from temp changes with the chicken/meat.
When brined long enough(for thighs like this I like to keep it at about 7-8 hours)rinse them off well and I put them on a rack in a pan to air dry in the fridge for at least an hour. I had the Keg heated so when I was ready to put them on I remove from the fridge, if the skin is big enough(sometimes I've seen raggedy and removed skin)you can simply stretch it back around the thigh forming it somewhat tightened, sprinkle on seasoning and place back on the rack. after all are done place them on the grill or you can do them the same way in the oven. I try to only flip them once and cook to temp. I use a Lavatools PT12 Javelin Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer.

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
thedietz

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »

excellent.  thanks for the advice.  i'll give that a shot next week. heading camping in 2 days so mosting eating burgers and dogs off my weber jumbo joe there.  and mountain pies over the fire if the temp gets low enough here in PA so i can stand being around a fire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: