Broil King Keg Forum
October 17, 2018, 08:57:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bourbon Wurst Is The Best  (Read 363 times)
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« on: June 08, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »

Did a road trip to the Cincinnati area over the Memorial Day Holiday.  Cincinnati has a lot of German heritage and has lots of choices in brats and metts.  First up is some bourbon wurst. 

Fixed them on the keg, started out lid closed around 300* to get some wood fired flavor and keep the flames under control

After about half an hour opened up the keg for an oxygenated fire and let the flames kiss the wurst

These were sooooo gooooood it called for a Friday night dessert to pay homage to the best of the wurst!!

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Sonny
2X Keg Hero Of The Month - Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Maple, ON

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:52:48 PM »

I believe you did the wurst you could to get that wood fired flavour.   Cheesy

Think Big, Start Small, Fail Fast, Learn Always
Dataspaz
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Frisco, Texas

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 09:34:12 AM »

Those do look good. Curious what other bourbons you like? I'm always looking for something I have not tried. It is tough balancing cost to taste. I think my favorite (per cost) would be Larceny.

http://www.totalwine.com/spirits/bourbon/small-batch-bourbon/larceny/p/127056175?s=505&igrules=true

This is to be on the rocks, not neat and let it rest just a bit, then it turns into something wonderful. It is full bodied and 92 proof.

Run......  Run......... Dive!!!!!!!!
bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »

Those do look good. Curious what other bourbons you like? I'm always looking for something I have not tried. It is tough balancing cost to taste. I think my favorite (per cost) would be Larceny.

I like Larceny also, just the way you described.  It blooms in ice.
My favorite for the money is Buffalo Trace in the 1.75 liter bottle.  Seems like most bourbons don't have the aged "X" years anymore.  There's such a demand they're bottling it when it tastes acceptable.  You'll notice on the bottle of Basil Hayden in my picture that it says "artfully aged"  That's BS for bottling it when they need to replenish stock.  Used to have age "X" years on it.
 I bought a .750L bottle of 12 year old Elija Craig about 4 years ago.  Fantastic...$29.00.  Four Roses ain't bad either.
I like Clyde Mays Alabama Whiskey, not really a bourbon, they finish it with green apples.  Nice taste really.  Not a fan of Cylde May Bourbon, but their 110 proof special reserve whiskey is incredibly smooth.  But these days that seems to change from batch to batch with most distillers.  ABC had Wild Turkey 101 bourbon on sale recently for $41 for 1.75 L , I liked it for mixing with cola.

Just my opinion but I think quality overall in the bourbon industry has gone downhill over the past 3-5 years but it seems to be making a comeback.  Many of the distillers have increased capacity.  If you think about it, the good stuff they sell today was actually started 4-12 years ago.  Lots of boutique brands out there, it's still a good time to enjoy a good bourbon.  

Dataspaz
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Frisco, Texas

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »

I like Larceny also, just the way you described.  It blooms in ice.
My favorite for the money is Buffalo Trace in the 1.75 liter bottle.  Seems like most bourbons don't have the aged "X" years anymore.  There's such a demand they're bottling it when it tastes acceptable.  You'll notice on the bottle of Basil Hayden in my picture that it says "artfully aged"  That's BS for bottling it when they need to replenish stock.  Used to have age "X" years on it.
 I bought a .750L bottle of 12 year old Elija Craig about 4 years ago.  Fantastic...$29.00.  Four Roses ain't bad either.
I like Clyde Mays Alabama Whiskey, not really a bourbon, they finish it with green apples.  Nice taste really.  Not a fan of Cylde May Bourbon, but their 110 proof special reserve whiskey is incredibly smooth.  But these days that seems to change from batch to batch with most distillers.  ABC had Wild Turkey 101 bourbon on sale recently for $41 for 1.75 L , I liked it for mixing with cola.

Just my opinion but I think quality overall in the bourbon industry has gone downhill over the past 3-5 years but it seems to be making a comeback.  Many of the distillers have increased capacity.  If you think about it, the good stuff they sell today was actually started 4-12 years ago.  Lots of boutique brands out there, it's still a good time to enjoy a good bourbon.  

I am right on board with Buffalo Trace, Except I can only find it sometimes. All the stores here having lots of issues getting it. The same with Old Charter which is made by the same company. If you want something very mild and smooth try Corner Creek.

Run......  Run......... Dive!!!!!!!!
bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »

I am right on board with Buffalo Trace, Except I can only find it sometimes. All the stores here having lots of issues getting it. The same with Old Charter which is made by the same company. If you want something very mild and smooth try Corner Creek.
Have never seen Old Charter or Corner Creek.  I'll have to check for them as many of the ABC stores around here vary their stock.
I buy Benchmark also, made by Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, KY.  It's a bottom shelf bourbon, 1.75 L for $20, but it has a good bourbon taste that is good for mixing.

http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/benchmark

Cajunate
4X Keg Hero of the Month - 4X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Metairie, Louisiana

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 05:41:26 AM »

How's that Basil Hayden's? I think the Costco here sells it. They have a good variety of whiskeys and bourbons here.
Your wurst looks quite tasty!!!!

"Good grillin' is like good lovin' "
  Just outside of New Orleans
bamabob
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 09:47:46 AM »

How's that Basil Hayden's? I think the Costco here sells it. They have a good variety of whiskeys and bourbons here.
Your wurst looks quite tasty!!!!

Thanks Nate.  The Basil Hayden is a good bourbon.  Give it a try sometime. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: