Broil King Keg Forum
June 22, 2018, 09:12:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rust  (Read 333 times)
thedietz

« on: May 25, 2018, 11:49:16 AM »

I just noticed a Rust bubble forming on my Keg.  Is this covered by the warranty?  Really surprised it even happened.  I always have it covered and it stays under a covered area.  It occasionally gets wet if i forget to cover but that is not often

Walrus

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »

Yes, send them a picture. I've had the top and bottom replaced so far due to rust. They charge $15 shipping for warranty parts, luckily I live up the street from Broil King so I just picked them up both times.
thedietz

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 07:27:34 AM »

Yes, send them a picture. I've had the top and bottom replaced so far due to rust. They charge $15 shipping for warranty parts, luckily I live up the street from Broil King so I just picked them up both times.

awesome thank you!!!  i couldn't find info on their website
Walrus

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:19:55 AM »

https://www.omcbbq.com/WarrantyOrders/index.html
thedietz

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 03:28:51 AM »

Perfect.  Thank you Walrus!!
thedietz

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 03:18:59 AM »

yup it was covered.  figured i might as well buy a new gasket since i was already paying for shipping.  Support was great.
Walrus

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »

Good to hear. Check your bottom shell, under the side handles.
beefeater

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 02:54:55 PM »

Mine is rusting pretty bad too. This post prompted me to finally make the call.  I called today and they are sending me a top and bottom unit. Bought mine in 2011 but mfg date is 2009. Took quite a while on the phone for them to figure it all out and I had to send a picture of the original receipt but I'm happy to have it covered by warranty. I originally registered it but OMC didn't have it in their records. Good thing I kept the receipt. I've always kept mine covered but I think condensation still forms and causes eventual rust.

"Sex, air and BBQ are only important when you're not getting any!"
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 03:02:02 PM »

you guys getting replacements, are you getting the keg 2000 bottom?  Does it have the screen in the bottom vent like the original bubba kegs?  I don't think the keg 2000's have the screen.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Walrus

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 03:20:13 AM »

Doesn't come with the vent. Just a bare opening. You have to drill the rivets and transfer the vent over.
beefeater

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »

Mine came today and has a bottom vent already installed but does not have the sliding inside screen like my original.

"Sex, air and BBQ are only important when you're not getting any!"
Walrus

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »

Oops my bad, I just went to the basement and checked, it did come with the bottom vent. My top however didn't come with the top cast iron vent.
Dirtch

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 05:37:35 AM »

A couple years ago my keg got multiple spots of rust and they couldn't get the matching gold-ish color for the one I had so I was sent a complete 5000 body minus the stand, grates, fire bowl...etc.  Need to buy those accessories or take them off my old one to complete it (before they discontinue the pieces) but everyone seem to complain about the 5000 so much I am hesitant....  Still using my rusty ugly old one....
ModernMan

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 05:03:05 AM »

As a 5000 owner, I would agree - keep using your old 4000 or 2000 if possible.

Alternately, keep your original bottom shell and install the new 500O top shell. Yes it'll look like frankenstein but functionally, the 5000 top is essentially the same as the 4K and 2K models (hard to tell from the picture whether the rust is mostly on the top or bottom shell of your keg).

It's the 5000's bottom shell's (lower) vent design which drives some (or many) keggers crazy frustrated re. steady, low-temperature control - due to numerous, hard to seal, air leak areas around and in the vent. Top vent is exactly same as 4K and 2K version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: