Broil King Keg Forum
October 22, 2018, 03:25:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jerk Chicken  (Read 349 times)
thedietz

« on: May 19, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »

This was a decent recipe.  I'm always trying to find one close to what you actually get in Jamaica.  The real deal is still the best. 

bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 07:37:45 PM »

Looks good, where's the recipe?
Love jerk chicken, I tried the Walkerswood stuff, never had the real thing so I have nothing to compare anything to.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
thedietz

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 05:07:24 AM »

Looks good, where's the recipe?
Love jerk chicken, I tried the Walkerswood stuff, never had the real thing so I have nothing to compare anything to.
https://www.christinascucina.com/a-taste-of-jamaica-authentic-jamaican-jerk-chicken-a-recipe-by-executive-chef-dwight-morris/

Thats the recipe i used.  i wanted one that included pineapple juice in the sauce.  This is good but comes out a little too sweet for jerk in my opinion. 
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 06:43:16 AM »

Awesome pics! looks  great!

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 07:37:15 AM »

https://www.christinascucina.com/a-taste-of-jamaica-authentic-jamaican-jerk-chicken-a-recipe-by-executive-chef-dwight-morris/

Thats the recipe i used.  i wanted one that included pineapple juice in the sauce.  This is good but comes out a little too sweet for jerk in my opinion. 

thanks TD.  I've never actually had authentic jamaican jerk, just the bottled stuff, so I have no benchmark to compare to.  I sure do like the flavor though. The Walkerswood is good, we usually combine with a little pineapple juice to thin it just a bit.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
RG

Life's What You Make It - Make It Great

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 05:10:06 PM »

Looks good from where I'm sitting! If you have leftovers, jerk chicken is GREAT on pizza! There's a pizza place called Mellow Mushroom that started here in Atlanta and is now a franchise all over. They have a pizza called a Maui Wowie that is excellent. It has applewood bacon, ham, jerk chicken, pineapple, banana peppers and uses pesto as the sauce. I freakin' LOVE it! Not to hijack your thread, so I apologize in advance, but I made one not too long ago. It was close, but not quite as good as MM's version (being honest with myself here, lol)

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
thedietz

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 06:42:24 AM »

good looking pizza RG.

I think authentic Jerk will always be hard to replicate because they cook over pimento wood which i think adds to the flavor..  I've looked for it online but the wood is price is crazy.  I think it was over $50 for a 5lb bag.  I like Jerk but not paying those pricesl
RG

Life's What You Make It - Make It Great

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 11:57:29 AM »

good looking pizza RG.

I think authentic Jerk will always be hard to replicate because they cook over pimento wood which i think adds to the flavor..  I've looked for it online but the wood is price is crazy.  I think it was over $50 for a 5lb bag.  I like Jerk but not paying those pricesl

Yeah, no doubt about it. That's INSANE! It's like Kiawe wood used in Hawaaiin cooking. Mesquite is close but not the same (so I hear). I heard Matty Matheson say that you can get pimento leaves pretty cheap and smoke with them. Might be worth looking into but then again I don't know how well that would work compared to the wood. I still think you can make righteous jerk chicken sans pimento wood. Is it 100% authentic? Nope, but that's okay! It's like everywhere on the planet that smokes meat or cooks over wood. You use what's readily available. Post Oak or Mesquite in Texas, Apple in Pac N West, hickory and Oak in the Southeast US. They all impart a unique flavor.

Either way, I am jonesing for some dang Jerk Chicken right about now!

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
thedietz

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 12:08:27 PM »

I actually watched that episode with Matty Matheson the other night
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: