Broil King Keg Forum
June 20, 2018, 11:32:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATC for BKK 5000?  (Read 383 times)
yycbanjopicker

« on: February 19, 2018, 07:02:07 PM »

I'm really starting to second-guess my purchase of the BKK 5000.
I primarily bought the unit to be used as a smoker and I've never had great success controlling the temps. Often I find the only way I can get the BKK to sit at 225 is when I close down the bottom and top damper to "1" at around 130-140F. That's okay however I find that when doing that I don't get a lot of smoke on my meat. I always use dry lumps of either hickory or apple wood - I will place one near the initial burn of the charcoal and then 3 or 4 lumps radially around the center of the charcoal mound. My hypothesis is because I am having to cut the oxygen so much the the wood chunks stop smoking...

I purchased a Tip Top Temp but I just can't get the goofy thing to work right (I keep the bottom dial at "0" and put the TTT on top of the BKK with the setting at 5)
Now my bigger issue with "5000" is the goofy ash-drawer and the "dial" at the bottom. It seems there is only one adapter for BBQ Guru's ATC however they are out of stock.
In any case I am venting however does anyone have any experience/recommendation for an ATC for my BKK 5000? Would an ATC even work properly?

Thanks!
thedietz

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »

I've never seen a 5000 in person.  with the ash tray removed could you fit a piece of tin that would cover that area?  Then fabricate a hole that you could connect a fan from a temp controller to the tin?
uncle
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Let it rain or snow

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 03:32:38 PM »

Make sure your top vent is all the way open and set your TTT on about 2 or a little less then move your bottom vent between the second and third notch.
yycbanjopicker

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:59:45 PM »

Thanks Uncle - I ran the TTT at setting #2, had the top all the way and the bottom dial completely closed.
Still got way too hot... Could having the bottom dial open to actually help?

Thanks
uncle
Hero of the Month
Superhero Member

Let it rain or snow

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »

You might have your lump too hot to start off with try lighting a small fire with a starter cube and set your bottom vent between the second and third notch mine will over shoot for awhile but it will settle down I have never cooked at 225 I always cook 250-275 and you got to remember these things are insulated and when you have the fire too hot It will take forever to come back  down, I always start mine 1-2 hrs. before putting meat  on. try starting a small fire and let the TTT control the fire, you got to have some air coming in the bottom or you will snuff out the fire, just don't try to rush it, just sit back and let the TTT take over, and you go have a drink Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: