Broil King Keg Forum
August 21, 2018, 08:32:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pellet smokers  (Read 496 times)
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« on: January 16, 2018, 03:22:46 PM »

As i'm getting older i'm getting lazier. There I said and admitted to it. I want to start looking into getting a pellet smoker (I think) For those who have one im looking for recommendations. I'm not looking for a top end but something that's reasonable and that i can hopefully use here in our Canadian winters.

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
RG

Life's What You Make It - Make It Great

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »

This is a subject of hot debate. Some will say to spend $1000.00 or better. Focuspuller has a Yoder YS640 Competition Cart which is over $2k. It's built like a tank but overkill for most peoples needs. I say buy a cheapish one to get your feet wet and then you can always decide to upgrade later if you want. I have a little Traeger as well as a Pit Boss 700FB that I got at Walmart on clearance for $250.00! It works very well, has a sear feature and gets up to 500° so you can sear a steak or bake pizzas on it.

If money were no object, I'd take a MAK over a Yoder and probably would take a Memphis over a MAK. Memphis makes a REALLY nice built in, the Memphis Elite costs as much as a car though, lol. https://memphisgrills.com/shop/built-ins/memphis-elite-built-in/

Some people complain about the flavor profile of pellet grills, claiming they don't add enough smoke. I've never found that to be an issue and actually prefer chicken and ribs off of a pellet grill as opposed to the keg but it's just my personal tastes. Your mileage may vary.

If you have any further questions that I may be able to answer, feel free to post here or shoot me a PM. I don't check in often so PMing me might be best as I'll receive an e-mail notifying me of your PM. Either way, I'll try to remember to check back here.

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
SmallBBQr

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:48:45 AM »

I've been drooling over the Traeger Timberline (probably the 850 is more than enough for my needs), but the price keeps that extra space in my yard empty.

Reason being is the insulated double wall for winter grilling, which around here is a good chunk of the year.  It's either that or get/make an insulating blanket.

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:36:20 PM »

This is a subject of hot debate. Some will say to spend $1000.00 or better. Focuspuller has a Yoder YS640 Competition Cart which is over $2k. It's built like a tank but overkill for most peoples needs. I say buy a cheapish one to get your feet wet and then you can always decide to upgrade later if you want. I have a little Traeger as well as a Pit Boss 700FB that I got at Walmart on clearance for $250.00! It works very well, has a sear feature and gets up to 500° so you can sear a steak or bake pizzas on it.

If money were no object, I'd take a MAK over a Yoder and probably would take a Memphis over a MAK. Memphis makes a REALLY nice built in, the Memphis Elite costs as much as a car though, lol. https://memphisgrills.com/shop/built-ins/memphis-elite-built-in/

Some people complain about the flavor profile of pellet grills, claiming they don't add enough smoke. I've never found that to be an issue and actually prefer chicken and ribs off of a pellet grill as opposed to the keg but it's just my personal tastes. Your mileage may vary.

If you have any further questions that I may be able to answer, feel free to post here or shoot me a PM. I don't check in often so PMing me might be best as I'll receive an e-mail notifying me of your PM. Either way, I'll try to remember to check back here.

How is the pit boss RG? we have it here in Canada @ lowes its a reasonable price something to look into. Id be interested to see how you feel about it lets say compared to the Traeger?

@SmallBBQr I also seen that new model its way to rich for my blood however would fit the needs of the Canadian winters However that price..brutal.

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
RG

Life's What You Make It - Make It Great

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »

I like the Pit Boss. It's my second one. The first one I had was the 440D but I sold it as it wasn't much bigger than the Traeger I had. This one has a good amount of room and Stephanie really likes that the fire pot is in the middle (more even heating) and the searing feature. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a good sized pellet grill. It's worth the normal price of $397.00 but I am glad I got a deal on it.

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
hotdam

Kernersville,N.C.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »

A friend of mine bought a Rec Tec pellet smoker and I have to admit I am a little jealous, he is turning out chicken, Butts and ribs, that are pretty damn good. The jealousy comes in because he has never smoked or hardly grilled anything ever, that was my job .The Rec Tec is a very nice looking grill, powder coated, and heavy duty, I have done research and they claim to use only half the pellets that most traditional pellets use. has anyone else had any experience with one of these grills?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: