Broil King Keg Forum
November 22, 2017, 11:42:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Party Q  (Read 244 times)
billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« on: November 10, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »

My Pitmaster 120 has quit. One of the temp probe female part has broken off the circuit board, so I bought a Party Q.

I'm testing it today to do a brisket tomorrow. Not real happy so far. I set the temp to 250 and closed the top vent to a sliver. It ran up to 425 and has been sitting there for a couple of hours.

Looks like I'll use the TTT until I can figure the darn thing out
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:47:38 PM by billsfan » Logged

Dan
ModernMan

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »

Thanks for sharing.
Please keep us posted
Good luck!
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »

Wow. That almost sounds like you had the pit temp probe stuck in the meat  Smiley
McRoots

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 04:00:27 AM »

I have one.  I'm not sure I like it but I did have to learn how to use it.

Once I learned to slide the bottom vent behind the blower port attachment to restrict the air flow, I had better success.  Otherwise, for me, it was just drawing too much air.   

Maybe I'm still not using it properly as I think if I have to dampen to the lower port, why bother?
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »

Well that really sucks, I love my pitmster IQ you should be able to fix it. Did it rip any of the traces up off the board?

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
billsfan
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »

Well that really sucks, I love my pitmster IQ you should be able to fix it. Did it rip any of the traces up off the board?

I think I can probably solder it back on

Dan
billsfan
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »

I have one.  I'm not sure I like it but I did have to learn how to use it.

Once I learned to slide the bottom vent behind the blower port attachment to restrict the air flow, I had better success.  Otherwise, for me, it was just drawing too much air.   

Maybe I'm still not using it properly as I think if I have to dampen to the lower port, why bother?

That’s what I was thinking thinking that it’s drawing a bunch of air thru the vent for the fan

Dan
McRoots

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »

That’s what I was thinking thinking that it’s drawing a bunch of air thru the vent for the fan

That was my conclusion too.  So I start reading up on it and I learn that other Guru ATC's have built in dampeners that you can play with to control the air intake when it's not blowing.  For some reason, the Party Q doesn't have that feature. 

McRoots

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 10:42:16 AM »

I have mine in use right now.  I thought I'd set it up the way it's intended to see if I could get the temp to stabilize. 

Target temp is 235.  Top vent is set to .5.  Bottom vent is sitting over top of the blower port adaptor.  I lit a small fire, closed the dome, and turned on the ATC.

It's been on for about an hour now and it completely blew by 235 and last time I checked, it was at 288.  I'll let it go for awhile and see if the temp comes back closer to 235.

McRoots

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 01:52:45 PM »

I have mine in use right now.  I thought I'd set it up the way it's intended to see if I could get the temp to stabilize. 

Target temp is 235.  Top vent is set to .5.  Bottom vent is sitting over top of the blower port adaptor.  I lit a small fire, closed the dome, and turned on the ATC.

It's been on for about an hour now and it completely blew by 235 and last time I checked, it was at 288.  I'll let it go for awhile and see if the temp comes back closer to 235.

Well, 4 hours later and the temp stabilized at 267.  I'll try this experiment again later.  Only next time, I will let the Keg come up to temp on it's own and only turn on the Party Q when it's close to the target temp.
thedietz

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »

i have had an iq120.  after probes and power supply failing and the cost of replacement...i replaced them all for $60 and then within a year probes failed again.  I gave up on my iq120.

I did build a heatermeter and i have had good success after getting it dialed in.

Question for ya roots.  If 235 is your target are you setting your blower for 235 right away? 

With my heatermeter..and when i used my IQ120 if 235 was my target..i would first set it for around 200.  I'd let the blower get it there and usually it would go past it. I'd wait for it to stabilize and then set to 235.  i had better results doing this and getting my temp to where i want it.
McRoots

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 12:04:44 PM »

Question for ya roots.  If 235 is your target are you setting your blower for 235 right away? 

With my heatermeter..and when i used my IQ120 if 235 was my target..i would first set it for around 200.  I'd let the blower get it there and usually it would go past it. I'd wait for it to stabilize and then set to 235.  i had better results doing this and getting my temp to where i want it.

I've done it that way before too and it works well but only if I choke the bottom damper down.  Without any tricks, the manual says you can set it and forget and it will stabilize.  I knew it would overshoot but if it stopped at 250 and settled there, I would have been happy.  But it didn't do that.

Just had a thought.  I used the BGE platesetter as my diffuser.  I wonder if that affects the stabilization as it retains a lot of heat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: