Broil King Keg Forum
April 22, 2018, 12:02:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glory Days ...  (Read 1571 times)
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« on: October 19, 2017, 10:11:52 PM »

The board is SOOOOOO SLOOOOOW. I'm pining away for the glory days to return though I know they won't ... kinda like that Bruce Springsteen song.

I think all the time about numerous awesome members who don't post here any more. Why did they leave? Where did they go? Will they come back? Is it the product, the forum medium, this forum in particular or something else?

Sigh. I still stand behind the Keg as a fantastic all around kamado at a moderate price point.
thedietz

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:57:38 AM »

yeah this is the worst i've seen it.  I had to look it up but i joined in 2012.  I've never been the most active member because 3 young kids are keeping me busy but i am pretty much a daily / every other day lurker. 

I do remember an argument amounts members causing a few of the large contributors to leave.  It's only gone downhill from there.  It's a shame it had to   happen.   I enjoyed all their posts.  I've learned good techniques from this forum and also i've found some of my goto recipes here.

Also noteworthy is how new members say it is very difficult to get a new account at this point.  I read one guy post he had to go through the process 3 times to get an account made.  I would have given up after 2 attempts.  No doubt this forum is missing out on new members because of it.

Why Broil King doesn't get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it i'll never understand.  The forum i am sure costs money to run (i doubt much) but it is then free advertising and promotion.  They could also make the forum look and feel like its 2017.  They could advertise with pictures and links to their products.  Why not take advantage? 

I'll keep lurking and occasionally posting.  I hope it picks up and we can get back to the good ol days.  Maybe some of the old contributors still lurk here.  If you do.....come back...you are missed.
Dirtch

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 06:45:01 AM »

SOOOO SLOOOOW is an understatement...LOL

I too lurk pretty much daily and am guilty of not participating much.  Haven't cooked much this summer though to have much to share.  Actually things slow down for me in the winter so hopefully I will get some cooking time.  Hopefully a reenergize will happen to keep this going.  I agree that BroilKing I would think would benefit from any and all costs associated with better management and UPDATING of the site though advertisement.  Yes thats a hint to any BroilKing person reading this to help with the reenergizing!  Put any past issues aside and move on....But we may be the only ones left!
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »

yeah this is the worst i've seen it.  I had to look it up but i joined in 2012.  I've never been the most active member because 3 young kids are keeping me busy but i am pretty much a daily / every other day lurker.  

I do remember an argument amounts members causing a few of the large contributors to leave.  It's only gone downhill from there.  It's a shame it had to   happen.   I enjoyed all their posts.  I've learned good techniques from this forum and also i've found some of my goto recipes here.

Also noteworthy is how new members say it is very difficult to get a new account at this point.  I read one guy post he had to go through the process 3 times to get an account made.  I would have given up after 2 attempts.  No doubt this forum is missing out on new members because of it.

Why Broil King doesn't get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it i'll never understand.  The forum i am sure costs money to run (i doubt much) but it is then free advertising and promotion.  They could also make the forum look and feel like its 2017.  They could advertise with pictures and links to their products.  Why not take advantage?  

I'll keep lurking and occasionally posting.  I hope it picks up and we can get back to the good ol days.  Maybe some of the old contributors still lurk here.  If you do.....come back...you are missed.
I have a new hobby, vaping, that actually keeps me pretty busy (not had a smoke in 4 months!). On top of that ... and I thought I'd be the last guy to ever say this ... my wife and I are seriously trying to reduce our meat intake ... time catches up to us all. Lastly I guess even when I do keg anymore unless it's new or interesting to me I've already posted it before Smiley so I don't bother.

Ya, there has been some 'drama', but that just seems to happen online and shouldn't be the end of the world.

I agree, the new signups delay issue is absolutely horrendous. I hope it's fixed or fixed very soon.

Dragonfly
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »

I lurk some, but rarely post anymore.

The forum software was a big issue for me. Can't post pics without an outside photo service. Repeated outages. I have been active on a few forums that failed/crashed irrevocably and felt like all my posting was a waste, so limit activity on suspect forums. I am using the Keg a little less, but know how to make the things I want to make, so not really trying new things - so the forum has less utility.

The forum was always dominated by a few members, though the members differed over the years. At one point, one of the long gone members begged for people to post - and it revived things. This was before all the hoo-hah.

I suspect the biggest issue is lack of new members - whether that is due to signup problems, or Keg sales problems, I just don't know. I do know you can't walk into an Ace or Home Depot and see a Keg, so probably fewer people search to find out about the Keg.
SmallBBQr

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »

Same as others...I lurk mostly, but don't post too much any more.  There is only so much you can show off I think, but with only a few active posters, there is also less to reply to...all cyclical.

I was tempted to take a couple photos last night...but then thought about how I would have to edit picture sizes, upload, link etc....and just thought "nope", and poured another glass of wine.

TBH, I prefer the Kamado Guru site  Undecided  as there is just so much more info...I'm not that into brand (Keg vs KJ vs BGE) and also like the additional info...

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
bel4_20
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 10:01:39 AM »

I can honestly say I pretty much check up on the board almost every single day (almost) its looking like it might have went off the cliff. For me and to be honest since i bought my Kamado Joe Big Joe I have been hanging out at kamado guru quite a bit. It really helps that they have a facebook page which makes it super easy to post pics not to say that there isn't  a broil king FB page its just that there are many more people at Kamado Guru. i've seen a few from this board over there too! I check back daily here id hate to see it disappear but they should rally set a facebook page from this forum and see how it goes.

Here's to alcohol: The source of, and answer to, all of life's problems. --Homer Simpson
RG

Life's What You Make It - Make It Great

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 11:22:05 AM »

What a day to check in on the old stomping grounds eh? I'm not Canadian so I hope I did that "eh" justice Tongue

I said my goodbyes to this place back in June and then I posted that I was selling the 5000 on here on September 1st. I do check in here and there, I haven't logged in since the 1st of September. I know the elephant in the room is that I contributed to this boards demise but honestly, that's not really the case at all. People make of it what they will but everyone is under their own power to come here or not, a lot of old users have chosen to not come here and it is what it is. Drama that I was a part of may have been off putting, I can understand that. I think I speak for many in agreeing with what has already been said. Been there, done that. Next!

I personally don't use the keg very often. Sad to say since I once upon a time was absolutely in love with it! I still cook here and there but I was ridiculed in the past for posting non-Keg cooks so I stopped. About the only thing I am good for is posting in Non-Keg discussion. I can talk about silliness with the best of them!

Glory days, it seems, shall remain just that. Shawn, I applaud you for hanging in there, you truly are an asset to this board. Same goes for bamabob, Cajunate (even though I see he's slowed down as well), thedietz, Dirtch, Small, Bel4, Dragonfly and the handful of others that are trying to keep this boat afloat.

My days of involvement with running the place or having anything to do with BK are LONG gone but I would love to see them revamp the place. It severely needs updating. Maybe some of the old users would even return. Maybe.

Thanks for jogging my memory of what once was. It was a helluva ride eh?

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »

What a day to check in on the old stomping grounds eh? I'm not Canadian so I hope I did that "eh" justice Tongue ...

Thanks for jogging my memory of what once was. It was a helluva ride eh?
That was a perfect 'eh'  Grin. Thanks for stopping in RG. We miss you here man. Please say 'Hi' to Mrs.RG, we miss her too!

Yup. It was an awesome ride!!!
RG

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »

That was a perfect 'eh'  Grin. Thanks for stopping in RG. We miss you here man. Please say 'Hi' to Mrs.RG, we miss her too!

Yup. It was an awesome ride!!!

Thanks man! I'll tell her, she could use a little pick me up. She had surgery recently and just now is getting mobile. She's been jonesing to smoke something, lol. Sunday she's smoking a 13.xx pound brisket, about a 9 pound butt, a whole chicken and a rack of pork loin ribs that she's going to top with chopped bacon. She's chomping at the bit.

She's been finding these great deals on meat over the past few months so we've been stocking up. I think I have 4-5 choice briskets that she got for $1.99/lb and several racks of ribs for like $5.00 each, a butt for 99ยข/lb. Time to exorcise her BBQ demons!

BBQ & Friends. What else do you need? Beer? Okay. Beer, BBQ & Friends! Dilly Dilly!
Dirtch

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 01:59:32 PM »

IF there was a like button...I would have liked your post, RG, as well as others.  You picked a unique day to stop by.  It is what it is and no one persons fault how things go, and yes how many times do you post the same cook......  As silent as I have been on here I enjoyed every day I checked in, and learned a lot from you guys since I joined.  Kinda weird how much I knew/know about who cooks what the best and how they do it having never met anyone.  To past and present posters I say thank you. 

RG best wishes for the misses recovery and return to her smoking passion.  Hers were always a fun post to read. 

RG

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »

Thanks Dirtch! Man, you guys are making me want to Keg something! Maybe I'll fire up one of the 2 I have left. I gave my original one (BSK 4000) to my brother and he's making his first pizza on it tonight! Maybe the signs are telling me I need to get my Keg back in rotation Smiley

As for Stephanie, thanks for the well wishes, I really appreciate it. I'll see if I can get her to drop by and check in more often. She is quite entertaining isn't she? Tongue

bkk bob
Superhero Member

S.W. Manitoba, Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 03:56:41 PM »

Good to see ya drop in for a chat rg,i also check in here daily but as others have said i usually do the same old same old so not much point in posting it.Also since getting pellet popper not cooking as much on keg,but still love it......Bob
RG

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 04:52:15 PM »

Yeah, pellet poopers are wonderful aren't they? I had 2, sold one, want another one Smiley I wonder if Broil King will ever delve into the Pellet Grill/Smoker market. For all I know, they already have. I am SO far out of the loop anymore it's a shame.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: