Broil King Keg Forum
January 18, 2018, 04:39:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold smoking  (Read 30 times)
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« on: January 15, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I posted. I have been experimenting cold smoking salmon using the amazen pellet smokers like this one:http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8.htm.

First recipe I did during the holidays was a 24h cure using equal parts of kosher salt, white sugar, fresh dill and lemon zest. I cold smoked for maybe 2-3 hours and was done. It turned out great!

Second try was last weekend. I essentially did the same curing process except I used brown sugar instead of white and smoked for maybe 5-6h. Turns out the pellet smoker, combined with maybe the sun hitting the keg  Huh, generated enough heat which basically cooked the salmon even though it was -20C up hereā€¦I even had the keg diffuser in for added precaution...!

Could it be that the Keg is so insulated that even a little pellet smoker can produce enough heat to go over the cold smoking temperatures? I wasn't measuring temps using a probe or anything like that since it was so cold outside... I did notice (late) that the dome thermometer was no longer sitting at the bottom and was close to 100F. I never thought heat from the pellet smoker would be an issue in such cold weather...

Salmon was still good, but no longer had the texture I was shooting for.

Anyone else played around cold smoking using a similar setup?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: