Broil King Keg Forum
October 23, 2017, 01:28:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: September 2017 Throwdown: Keg Mastery Congrats: thedietz!!!  (Read 1091 times)
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« on: October 09, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »

Only one rose to the Keg Mastery Challenge so winner by default is thedietz!

Simply outstanding cook! Fantastic idea, I'm sure to give this a try soon myself!

billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »

Great idea!

Dan
ModernMan

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:00:49 AM »

Nice!
thedietz

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »

Wow.  Wasn't the way i was hoping to win(not sure i can call it that) my first throw down. 

Can't believe there weren't any other entries with an open category and 5 pictures allowed!
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:13:35 AM »

holy sh*! nicely done! Honestly, you deserve this one...it's the most original cook I came across here for a while, so kudos for that!

Can you tell us a little more about your recipe? Did you use chicken thighs in a "shish taouk" marinade?

Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »

Wow.  Wasn't the way i was hoping to win(not sure i can call it that) my first throw down. 

Can't believe there weren't any other entries with an open category and 5 pictures allowed!
I get it, but I agree with Caveman, in this case it doesn't take away from your win. It was an awesome idea that looks well executed!

Maybe the topic just didn't resonate with people. It was supposed to be a keg fanboy TD.

If I had entered it would have been extra crispy chicken thighs. My keg and I make amazing thighs.

thedietz

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »

i got the recipe from a website honestly.  wish i could say it was my own idea.  https://www.buzzfeed.com/mikeprice/these-chicken-gyros-are-the-drool-worthy-dish-youve-been?utm_term=.dmyew0MYRy#.pgMLKVPobA

It says one wooden skewer but i had a hard time with it standing up.  As you can see in my keg pic i ended up rolling up some foil and putting it around the onion.  That little foil basket kept it upright.  Did about 325-350 for about 2 hours or so and added a little apple wood.  

I love middle eastern styles of food.  Anything that starts with chicken in a yogurt based marinade and you have my attention.  Since we are on the topic the rice recipe is also very good.  And 2 other of my favorite recipes with yogurt based marinades are the following.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/basmati-rice-pilaf-with-dried-fruits-and-almonds.html
https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/middle-eastern-chicken-kebabs.html
https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/crispy-tandoori-chicken-drumsticks-mango-chutney.html

Most of her recipes are for the oven....but we all know it's better on the keg..

Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 05:29:04 PM »

Thanks for the links!

thedietz

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »

I get it, but I agree with Caveman, in this case it doesn't take away from your win. It was an awesome idea that looks well executed!

Maybe the topic just didn't resonate with people. It was supposed to be a keg fanboy TD.

If I had entered it would have been extra crispy chicken thighs. My keg and I make amazing thighs.

I meant to ask you more about these extra crispy thighs.  Care to share your technique?
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »

I meant to ask you more about these extra crispy thighs.  Care to share your technique?
Sure. On a well seasoned grate (or spray, spritz or brush some oil on) with keg running between 350ºF and 400ºF put the thighs on skin side down for at least 10 minutes. Flip 3 times to get your cross marks, at about 10 minute intervals for a total cook time around 40 minute ... depending on size of thighs ..temp .... etc. but give the skin side at least 20 minutes down. You can get skin so thin and crisp it's like deep fried spring roll wraps, only it tastes like bacon.  Grin

thedietz

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 03:20:47 AM »

Very nice.  I'll have to give that a shot.
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 06:50:21 PM »

congrats td.  great idea and very creative.
I was wanting to get in on this one but hurricane Nate coming up through Alabama put a hold on things.  I think Nate saved me from another zero vote club entry again.   Smiley
I think your technique would be a good candidate for Al Pastor, may have to try that one.  thanks for the inspiration

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: