Broil King Keg Forum
October 23, 2017, 01:40:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kraut 2017  (Read 1441 times)
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 5x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« on: September 23, 2017, 10:34:56 PM »

... more to come ...

bkk bob
Superhero Member

S.W. Manitoba, Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 05:32:32 AM »

Shawn what date do you plant your cabbage?mine has been ate and turned into fertilizer for some time now Grin.This year i planted a little later than normal and the worms seemed to be harder on them than normal.Do you use netting,dust,or are them damn white butterflys not exist in alberta?Thx for starting this thread will be following it closely.Also how many cabbages do you or your mom plant?..Bob
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 06:09:39 PM »

Shawn what date do you plant your cabbage?mine has been ate and turned into fertilizer for some time now Grin.This year i planted a little later than normal and the worms seemed to be harder on them than normal.Do you use netting,dust,or are them damn white butterflys not exist in alberta?Thx for starting this thread will be following it closely.Also how many cabbages do you or your mom plant?..Bob
Our cabbage comes in a box from the store, sorry Smiley . We asked around and found a produce manager at a store who found us locally grown Copenhagen cabbage and gave us a bit of a deal on the quantity.

I can ask mom what she remembers about growing her own and if she remembers anything from her grandpa. She told me he started seeds inside early, planted May long, then left them as long as possible. They got freaky huge. I also remember they used powder on the cabbages to protect from cabbage worms (the white butterflies) and cutworms.
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 11:24:42 PM »

So kraut day is over. We didn't end up with Copenhagen cabbage, just regular store brand green cabbage of unknown variety.

We ended up getting into several arguments over traditional vs modern ideas and it was kind of a bad day, put me right off. I took no pics or vids. I'm kind of embarrassed to post our kraut stuff any more due to things like unwillingness to listen to the community and science of target salinity levels, adding salt by taste because 'that's how we have always done it' instead of by weight:

Check out this web page:
https://www.makesauerkraut.com/salt-by-weight/

unwillingness to replace an ~80 year old galvanized laundry basin for a food safe plastic version for shredding the cabbage into, sweeping the floor of the shed we made it in with no cover on the kraut(I almost lost my sh!t), leaving the kraut uncovered etc.

Kinda bummed. But at least to the best of our knowledge our kraut hasn't ever killed anyone. Maybe we will proactively plan changes for next time.

Nothing wrong with respecting tradition, but no reason we can't progress.

I will post up the results in a couple of weeks.
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 06:42:44 PM »

some days are better than others.........
who were you making the kraut with?  sometimes things are better left unsaid.

Is home made kraut much different than the stuff in stores?  I've had the kraut in a bag from the refrigerated section and kraut in a can.  Can't tell much difference by the time it's cooked with pork or whatever or spooned over brats with mustard and onions.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Dirtch

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 06:47:01 AM »

Shawn-  Its too bad you had those problems but hopefully you can ease them into some change.  My grandfather used to make kraut I can remember as a kid and now my uncle that lives in the same house now took over the tradition and his tools.  Knowing both of them I am sure its not the top of the line set up, but as you said it hasn't killed anyone..that we know of.  I still eat it.  I would like to do it, but I feel I would be in the same boat as you.  Don't think working with my uncle is a good idea.  Hope the best for your tradition. 

Bamabob-  Home made kraut is awesome and much better in my opinion than commercially processed. 
bamabob
2X Hero of the Month ~ 3X Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

my dog can't hold her licker

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »

Bamabob-  Home made kraut is awesome and much better in my opinion than commercially processed. 

I have no doubt, but in what way?  We find that most things home made are better than store bought.  But sometimes things like pickles are hard to get right.  Was wondering about kraut.

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 12:14:08 PM »

I have no doubt, but in what way?  We find that most things home made are better than store bought.  But sometimes things like pickles are hard to get right.  Was wondering about kraut.
some store bought kraut is little more than pickled cabbage sometimes, little no fermentation. When you make it at home you can stop it when the sour is right for you. We go three weeks and it has a strong but not overpowering flavor

I don't really like the wine sauerkraut from the store either. We use a lot of baby dill in ours. Some people like to put garlic in theirs.
Dirtch

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 05:46:20 AM »

some store bought kraut is little more than pickled cabbage sometimes, little no fermentation. When you make it at home you can stop it when the sour is right for you. We go three weeks and it has a strong but not overpowering flavor

I don't really like the wine sauerkraut from the store either. We use a lot of baby dill in ours. Some people like to put garlic in theirs.

Having never made it I can only agree with Shawn as to how or why.   A more intense flavor is what I like. 
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 04:31:41 PM »

The kraut is coming along just fine. It's been pretty cool, daytime highs 50ºF - 60ºF, overnight lows at or just below freezing. I had a chance to measure the salinity. We NAILED 1.5%, the minimum recommended for safety, and just fine in the temps the kraut is in. On the high end 2.5% if fermented in a house for example. I'm a bit happier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: