Broil King Keg Forum
August 19, 2017, 05:16:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weber Summit review  (Read 145 times)
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« on: August 10, 2017, 06:17:04 PM »

I really enjoyed watching this review...

https://youtu.be/glt8Jn2MKgU

@3:55 IMO, he nails the main issue with double walled steel cookers like the akorn or the keg...And because of the high efficiency of these cookers it confirms a lot of things I sort of accepted about my keg, e.g. the challenge with really low temps (without putting it out) and enough fire to generate a good rolling smoke flow.

I often noticed my wood would either not ignite or stay ignited during low and slow cooks under 240F. The minute I would raise the temps it would generate the smoke I wanted, but if not careful, I would risk overshooting...hard balance.

Anyhow, great cooker here, although pricey...But still tempting...  Wink

billsfan
2X Keg Hero of the Month; Mexican Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

Charlotte, NC

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »

He's always entertaining with good info.

Dan
Shawn W
2x Hero of the Month, 4x Throwdown Champion
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:14:53 PM »

I really enjoyed watching this review...

https://youtu.be/glt8Jn2MKgU

@3:55 IMO, he nails the main issue with double walled steel cookers like the akorn or the keg...And because of the high efficiency of these cookers it confirms a lot of things I sort of accepted about my keg, e.g. the challenge with really low temps (without putting it out) and enough fire to generate a good rolling smoke flow.

I often noticed my wood would either not ignite or stay ignited during low and slow cooks under 240F. The minute I would raise the temps it would generate the smoke I wanted, but if not careful, I would risk overshooting...hard balance.

Anyhow, great cooker here, although pricey...But still tempting...  Wink

I watched the video. I could pick most a number of his arguments apart. I won't except to say 'very reliant on toys' rather than working with the cooker he bought. I have often said the WSM is a better smoker than the keg because the keg is too efficient .... I stand by that but there are some remedies .... I posted about a way I managed a 27 hour 160ºF smoke in my keg without ATC and with very little in the way of vent changes.

In general I think the Summit Charcoal Grill would be fantastic. I even suggested Lunchman consider it before buying the Golden's CI having owned a WSM, a Performer and a Weber Kettle in addition to my keg.

However, at 2.5x the price of the Keg (in my neck of the woods) the Summit Charcoal Grill is priced awful steep. A Keg for grilling and higher temp stuff and a WSM for dedicated smoking would be a cheaper AND better all around solution than a Summit Charcoal Grill IMO.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:07:39 PM by Shawn W » Logged
Caveman
Hero of The Month

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:05:58 AM »

I agree and understand what you mean about reliant on toys...don't forget, he has a youtube channel and he does a lot of product reviews on all kinds of toys, it's one of the ways to make some money with this but that's besides the point...

Sure you can have a good gas grill for fast cooks, a keg for high heat grilling and pizza maybe, a WSM for smoking but if a person had 1 grill to buy, the summit would be my pick. He did another talk video that went in that direction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFJlBgNqfyE (although less articulated than new video I posted).

The Summit, although is not perfect, has great all around features if someone wanted to buy just one grill.

Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:07:04 PM »

... The Summit, although is not perfect, has great all around features if someone wanted to buy just one grill.

I'm down with that, and I don't think anybody does porcelain coated steel bbqs like Weber does (sorry OMC)... people have kettles, WSMs 30+ years old that are in fantastic shape.
ModernMan

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 04:03:26 AM »

Notwithstanding Shawn's extremely low/slo cook (approaching cold smoking territory), this has been exactly my experience also - many times (w the Keg 5000), specially during the 1st 1/2 of a cook.

The Tip Top Temp helps mitigate the temperature swings - however, that fine balance between low/slow + fire going, vs. low/slow but oops, fire's gone out, requires babysitting and luck.

Higher heat cooks? Np!

Thnks for sharing
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:09:12 AM by ModernMan » Logged
SmallBBQr

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »

Don't recall anyone ever doing it, but now wondering how difficult it would be to drill out the rivets and remove the oven insulation from the keg?

One of only complaints is exactly what is mentioned...TOO efficient so I have a hard time with smoke.

Kick Ash Divide & Conquer Kegger
Shawn W
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 01:43:48 PM »

Don't recall anyone ever doing it, but now wondering how difficult it would be to drill out the rivets and remove the oven insulation from the keg?...
Neat idea. I bet even just doing the lid section would make a HUGE difference. Take the top vent off then use a coat hanger to pull out the insulation?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: